No votes
56-up
14%

Total votes: 7

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

Deer hunting bow draw weight

#1 Post by Carpdaddy »

Starting at 40 since that is the legal weight in many states. I'm just curious about what others use, I already know on a few of you.

Shadowhntr

Re: Deer hunting bow draw weight

#2 Post by Shadowhntr »

Im kinda stuck....the break is 40-44 on the poll, and I'll be using 40, 44, and 45lb.. guess I'll go with the 40lb Toelke?
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#3 Post by Carpdaddy »

Even though I had to go with the 45-49 due to last years hunting bow I hope to move into your category when this bow is finished.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#4 Post by Captainkirk »

Most of you guys know all my Bears (except the Tamerlane) are 45# but the Sage is 55#...however, have not hunted with that one (Sage) and probably won't. Besides, I can always buy a set of 40 or 45# limbs for it, but it is a lot heavier than the Bears, so...
Aim small, miss small!

47909Hunter

#5 Post by 47909Hunter »

My Flatline is 48@28 but my DL is about 25, so it's about 44# effectively.

More than enough.
Traditional #1: Flatline Hypertension, 66", 48@28, Ash and Yew (#12017)
Traditional #2: Flatline Hypertension, 66", 42@28, Bocote and Wenge (#112017)
Compound: 2016 Defiant 30, Black Gold Ascent, 10" Bee Stinger Pro Hunter Maxxxxxxxx, QAD Ultra, Etc

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#6 Post by Captainkirk »

Much was made back in the 60's and 70's about not being macho if you weren't shooting 60# or above. I think it ruined a lot of good shooters and was totally unnecessary. A 40# bow with the right broadhead will kill 'em dead.
Aim small, miss small!

Shadowhntr

#7 Post by Shadowhntr »

Captainkirk wrote:Much was made back in the 60's and 70's about not being macho if you weren't shooting 60# or above. I think it ruined a lot of good shooters and was totally unnecessary. A 40# bow with the right broadhead will kill 'em dead.
I certainly hope to prove that this coming fall. Im very optimistic, to the point of no concern. Many wont agree, but Im certain at close range and a well placed arrow, a 35lb bow will kill any deer in front of you. 35lb was our minimum for years, then went to 45lb.....now there is no restriction. Its all about tuning, sharp heads, placement, and proper working equipment.
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#8 Post by Captainkirk »

With those EFOC arrows you are shooting Jase, I'm confident you are gonna get complete pass-thru's even using a 40# bow. I'm sure Sir Isaac Newton would agree.
Aim small, miss small!

Longtrad

#9 Post by Longtrad »

I'm shooting 46# right now and don't feel under gunned.

I have been working my way up in draw weight low and slow. I lucked out with my first bow and found and old bear minute man thatIi think is about 38-40ish pounds at my draw. although pretty light in weight, it took my muscles a few weeks of shooting to be able to have a relative amount of control over the bow. I trained on this bow about a year, then wanted to get something a little more powerful for large game hunting. This was before I knew anything of archery forums, and was pretty much just going off my own assumptions and a few youtube videos I watched about trad bows. I shot that minute man with I string I made out of two old pistol crossbow strings tied together for about 4 months... lol ignorance is bliss :)

then I got a 45#er I hated so I sold it and got a 44# grizzly, then I went for a 46# prairie predator, I have not decided for sure on the draw weight of my next bow, but it will be somewhere in the 45-50 range.

All that being said draw weight is just a factor in how much power a bow can put into an arrow. A lot has to do with bow design, the string, the release, and the arrow itself, I think draw weight is a bit over glorified in the whole mix, especially if you end up with a bow that is a bit more than you can master.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#10 Post by Captainkirk »

Longtrad wrote: ...I think draw weight is a bit over glorified in the whole mix, especially if you end up with a bow that is a bit more than you can master.
Amen to that!
Especially when a feller lays out a grand for a custom bow, perhaps not thinking ahead and asking themselves "Will I be able to shoot this comfortably in 5 years?"
Aim small, miss small!

Return to “Bow Hunting experiences”