Any new bows for this coming season?

Tell us your Traditional Bow Hunting experiences
Forum rules
Discuss all aspects of the hunt.
Jamesh76

Re: Any new bows for this coming season?

#16 Post by Jamesh76 »

Mohawk wrote:My new bow that will be taking me to the timber this fall is that Maddog that I bought from James H. I'm shooting GT 600 blems with 100 gr brass inserts and 190 gr meatheads. I guess this is the best pic I've got of it. :?

good stuff right there. Glad to see you have a tune that works for you :) I couldn't get them to work for me at that weight and was right at 175-200 grains on the heads. We all need to meet up at Hillsdale some afternoon and shoot.

I will be shooting the 53# Maddog 600 GT and 150gr Magnus Stingers.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#17 Post by Carpdaddy »

I am a bit surprised that two of you are able to shoot the 600 spine arrows. Mohawk because of the 290 grain up front, don't know draw weight, and James because of the 53# bow. I was struggling to get good flight with a 42# bow if I go over 200 grain. Either my bow scales is mad at me for dropping it on concrete and lying or I'm still getting a bad release. I also think Shadowhntr shot some 600's with more weight up front than I can. I'm shooting some 500's now with 225 & 250 front weight. Most of my arrows are 29", some 30". Almost every bow I hunt with near 50# I shoot 400 spine arrows. Maybe I'll figure it out someday.?? :geek: :lol:

Shadowhntr

#18 Post by Shadowhntr »

With Mohawks shorter draw length, he is shooting 37lb-38lb bow. Part of the mystery, is Maddogs are not cut to center, allowing effective use of lighter spines per the bow weight, as compared to a center cut or beyond bow.

In order to shoot 600s out of my 40lb Whip, I have to shoot 125gr. 145gr will fly, but not so good as 125gr. That's at 29".

What's really weird, is I'm shooting both GT traditionals and Beman Bowhunters in 500 spine with the whip. Both are 31" arrows. The GT's take about 400gr out front to fly and the Bemans fly with 340gr-370gr out front....and the Bemans fly virtually perfect and are not to fussy at all...the GT's are requiring a really good release to fly straight and are very fussy. I'm really sold on the Bemans for this combo....got 6 more coming from Big Jim.
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#19 Post by Captainkirk »

Jase, I am (depressingly) thinking of a half-dozen carbons to shoot out of my Bears on the indoor range (why do those two words stick in my throat..gakk!) As much as I love woodies it's apparent I'm not gonna do much, if any, backyard shooting with a family with little kids moving in behind us. An indoor range can be very hard on woodies and the baby carbons I'm shooting out of my Tamerlane are holding up fine.
Aim small, miss small!

Shadowhntr

#20 Post by Shadowhntr »

I'm sure liking the durability of the carbons I'm messing with. I am using collars/footings on them....man are they ever tough.
I use hot melt to tune and find the magic, then once im certain...I then JB weld the suckers so I won't keep loosing hardware in targets. That got old quick. On one set I use an insert/adapter glued in, and that allows me to change glue on heads.
The other set is a brass insert glued in, with steel screw in adapter hot glued into the tip. Both are footed and footings are JB welded. Them is tough son of a guns!

Mohawk

#21 Post by Mohawk »

Yeah James, that would be a good time!
Carp, like shadow said, I have a real short draw length, something like 26.5". So I'm shooting a fair amount less than my bows 43# @ 28" ability. I really didn't realize that until shadow put the tape to it a couple months ago.

Shadowhntr

#22 Post by Shadowhntr »

cap4382 wrote:Got an update from Kirk, new "Bare" limbs almost done.

https://goo.gl/photos/UEePk2ph7BbGDjgJ6

Can't wait to try out these static tips
Looks good...bet you are excited. I'm a bit interested in static tip recurves as well. It would be a while for me...im still on the honeymoon with this whip. One of these days though, I'd like a Java Man Assyrian.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#23 Post by Carpdaddy »

cap4382 wrote:Got an update from Kirk, new "Bare" limbs almost done.

https://goo.gl/photos/UEePk2ph7BbGDjgJ6

Can't wait to try out these static tips.
Nice; be looking for pictures!!

Return to “Bow Hunting experiences”