Hunting Goals or plans for 2017

Tell us your Traditional Bow Hunting experiences
Forum rules
Discuss all aspects of the hunt.
Captainkirk
Site Admin

Re: Hunting Goals or plans for 2017

#11 Post by Captainkirk »

Fellers, I hunt deer because I enjoy the outdoor experience. Whether I shoot a doe or a small buck is no matter to me as long as it's legal, because I'm doing it to fill the freezer, not mount antlers on my wall. My last year hunting (2015) was an amazing year due to all the sightings,interaction, and being one on one with the local deer on the ground, eyeball-to-eyeball. The fact I ended my week with an empty freezer mattered not one bit, I would not trade the experiences of that week for 200 pounds of meat. When I was a younger gun hunter, if it was brown it was down, and if I came back empty I was depressed and defeated. Anymore, I can enjoy a good afternoon of stumping as much as a week of hunting. It's no longer about the kill, it's about the experience for me.
Aim small, miss small!

Mohawk

#12 Post by Mohawk »

I agree all the way around with Shadow, a good clean shot is by far the most pressing matter. Then there's them dang does! I've been picked off countless times by them over sensitive turds, the worst being the ones that just can't bust you and leave, but have to hang around and act like they're busting you for the first time at least 50 times. :lol:
I think if you're out there enjoying yourself, you're better off than any "trophy hunter". Them guys bring on pressure that takes away from what it means to be an outdoorsman. I will gladly put a meathead through a booner if he comes by, but if he don't happen by before another animal gets my attention, I'll likely never know he was there anyway. :D There's been several times a deer hunt has turned into something else, like a coyote, turkey or squirrel hunt and I had a blast just the same.

Shadowhntr

#13 Post by Shadowhntr »

Well said cap'in. Some of my most very fond memories involved no kill at all. I do enjoy stumping a lot, but for me I'm running in different gears stumping then I am when I'm hunting. Hunting makes me more intense for some reason. Not to say I don't enjoy being out equally because anytime out is fulfilling. My mind set between the two is just different is all...cant help it or control it.
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#14 Post by Captainkirk »

Oh, not saying the heart doesn't hammer a little harder when a whitetail is in my vision, I'd be a liar! But sometimes I think we get hung up on the whole kill thing and begin to equate 'kill' with 'good hunt' and vice-versa...and we really ruin enjoying our time afield by doing so. I no longer impose any requirements on myself and I feel a lot better that way. Sometimes we (or our hunting buddies) can be our own worst enemy.
Aim small, miss small!

Shadowhntr

#15 Post by Shadowhntr »

Big time agree
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

stumper

#16 Post by stumper »

This season I'm going to kill every stump I see. Also wouldn't mind taking my first deer with a trad bow. Only been in the stand twice with a trad bow and saw deer both times. Never dropped a string as the shots were unethical. So we will see what Lady Luck brings us. I'm perfectly happy watching animals.
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Return to “Bow Hunting experiences”