My "Beat the Clock" Caribou

Tell us your Traditional Bow Hunting experiences
Forum rules
Discuss all aspects of the hunt.
dhaverstick

My "Beat the Clock" Caribou

#1 Post by dhaverstick »

Got back yesterday from my Quebec caribou hunt with Jack Hume Adventures. We didn't see very many animals so the hunt was tough. However, I was able to pull it off on the last day with only 30 minutes left to hunt. I guess I wanted to get all my money's worth!

We weren't seeing that many caribou at our first camp on Ronald Lake so they moved us to another camp on Simon Lake last Friday. We hated leaving the camp and especially our camp hand, Jimmy, but we hoped we would have more opportunities at the second place. We did.

This was the second bull I saw Sunday morning, the last day. The first one caught me moving and, after screwing that up, I figured the odds of me seeing another bull in the next 50 minutes was slim at best. Fortunately, the Caribou Gods smiled upon me and I spotted a second bull coming my way about 20 minutes later. I knew I would have to let him get right even with me before I drew or he would see me and spook. I also knew that I would have to lead him a bit because those guys never stop walking and they walk fast! When the bull got even with me, I picked a spot in front of his front shoulder and hoped I had led him enough. By the time I let go of the string, he was past me and quartering away. Fortunately, I had guessed right and my arrow hit him perfectly in the ribs with the broadhead burying into the off shoulder. There was a big patch of his hide already covered in blood as I watched him run down towards the lake and out of sight. The shot was a little over 20 yards. I used a 55# Quest longbow made by Wild Horse Creek Bows, a homemade mahogany arrow, and a 190 grain Meathead broadhead.

With the arrival of our float plane imminent, my hunting buddy, John Henning, and I set out to find the bull immediately. We went to the place where we had last seen the animal and then headed towards the lake shore. Within five minutes, John hollered at me that my bull was lying in the lake up by where he was. I was excited that I was able to pull off a last-second kill and relieved that we were able to find him so quickly. John then ran back to camp and, in short order, our camp hands, Jacque and Guy, had a rope around the bull's neck and towed him back to camp with a motor boat.

After showing the camp hands what the "gutless method" was (they had no idea) we quickly got the bull skinned and quartered. I had just enough time to finish packing and change clothes before our float plane arrived to take us back to base camp. The whole week was quite an adventure and not something I'll forget about any time soon!

Darren

This is how we found him, floating in the water

Me taking my victory drink!

My hunting partner, John Henning

Making espresso on the tundra. A man still needs the finer things in life!

Sunset on Simon Lake

A nice pike I caught the last morning in camp

Our camp at Simon Lake

John and Jimmy, our first camp hand, glassing for caribou

Water is everywhere!

A nice rainbow

We had a cool bus driver back at base camp

Captainkirk
Site Admin

Re: My "Beat the Clock" Caribou

#2 Post by Captainkirk »

Man, Darren...looks like the hunt of a lifetime! Congrats on bringing down that water horse, and I don't mean pony, either! That oughta give you meat well into next season!
Can you describe the "gutless method" you used?
Aim small, miss small!

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#3 Post by Carpdaddy »

Great job Darren and a big congratulations! I saw that you had got one at the last minute on the garmin site I was following you on. Thanks for sharing!

eidsvolling

#4 Post by eidsvolling »

CONGRATULATIONS!!! Way to hang in there.

Shadowhntr

#5 Post by Shadowhntr »

What a dream hunt! Better and longer lasting then any tatoo. So happy for you Darren!
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Graps

#6 Post by Graps »

Awesome , thanks for sharing .
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

dhaverstick

#7 Post by dhaverstick »

Thanks, all! The entire trip was quite an adventure.

Kirk, here is how I cleaned my caribou: Starting from the anus, I cut the skin up the belly, brisket and about half way up the neck. I then cut around the neck and up the inside of the two legs on the top side of the bou to where I would cut the hooves off had it been a whitetail. Working from the belly, I started skinning the animal towards the top of the back. When I had the top side skinned, I cut off the shoulder, hind quarter and back strap. Due to time constraints, I did not get all the meat off the neck or ribs but I did get the brisket meat. I also had to leave the tenderloins. Caribou swell up like a beach ball after you kill them and are under pressure. Had I punctured the body cavity to retrieve the inner loins, that body contents would have come spewing out and we didn't have time for the cleanup. After I was done with the first side, I stretched the loose hide to lay flat above the caribou's back and then flipped him over on it to keep off the dirt. I repeated the skinning and butchering procedure on the other side and then completely removed the hide from the carcass. There's not much to it and it certainly keeps the mess down. The only real trick is removing the tenderloins by feel and I didn't do that on this animal.

Darren

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#8 Post by Captainkirk »

Sounds fast and not messy! I didn't know caribou swelled up that quickly. Thanks for sharing, Darren!
Aim small, miss small!

Shadowhntr

#9 Post by Shadowhntr »

That's how I do my deer now too. Carry little waste out.
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Longtrad

#10 Post by Longtrad »

Wow awesome trip. Not many pull fish and mammals out of the water lol

Return to “Bow Hunting experiences”