WI Deer Hunt #1

Tell us your Traditional Bow Hunting experiences
Forum rules
Discuss all aspects of the hunt.
Mohawk

Re: WI Deer Hunt #1

#16 Post by Mohawk »

That's a great story! I feel your pain about the heat, I can't bring myself to think about going out yet.
And that's one sweet bow! :D

J. Holden

#17 Post by J. Holden »

Well we're back up north. 4.5 hours north feels just so much better for my soul. I'll be taking some pictures and will try to update on Monday while doing the laundry. Stay tuned.

Jeremy

Shadowhntr

#18 Post by Shadowhntr »

Good luck Jeremy! Keeping our fingers crossed for you 2!
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Graps

#19 Post by Graps »

Hope it comes together for you .
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#20 Post by Captainkirk »

Same here. Looking forward to your update.
Aim small, miss small!

J. Holden

#21 Post by J. Holden »

Well, Jack and I are back home meatless. I'll update with a story and some pictures tomorrow. Sitting down to enjoy some pizza and beer. Stay tuned....

-Jeremy

Shadowhntr

#22 Post by Shadowhntr »

Tuned in J. Don't worry....there is a lot of season left yet.
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#23 Post by Captainkirk »

At least you got out. That's what really matters.
Aim small, miss small!

stumper

#24 Post by stumper »

Looks like a great trip.
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

J. Holden

Re: WI Deer Hunt **Update**

#25 Post by J. Holden »

Last Friday found my son and I headed North again. I pulled him out of school after his lunch period so we could get up there at a decent time and have an opportunity to sort our gear with out the rush of a bed time. Now I don't think my son truly appreciates how cool I am for pulling him out early. Maybe some day he'll get it. Regardless, a teenager isn't much of a road tripper when they stay up late and have to get up early for school the next morning. He's good for about the first hour and then the gentle hum of the road knocks him out.

When Jack finally aroused from his slumber I started the conversation about where he wanted to sit. I have only killed two deer in my short hunting career. But I really like to see my son be successful. To his credit he offered up a stand he sat last year when he killed his doe. I double checked and he was certain. He opted for a stand that I set over the summer along a heavily used trail that's deeper in the woods. This trail was between an area used for feeding and some bedding cover we knew about.

The first morning found us in the stand an hour before first light. This was perfect as we didn't spook any deer on the way in. However that also left me wondering where they were. We usually bump a few in the morning walk up to the property. I knew the landowner hadn't had the opportunity to plant a decent food plot this year. However he tried a late summer seed that he basically broadcast and prayed that it would take. I wondered how that would affect deer movement. I'm guessing that was one reason why we didn't spook anything.

About 15 minutes after sunrise I heard directly in front, and angling towards me, some movement through the tall grass. There was a tree in front of me and to my right that blocked my view of the field. So the cause of the noise was not seen until the last possible moment. Sure enough it was a doe. Not just one either, she had two yearlings with her and a trailing doe I can only assume didn't have any youngins with her. The doe was walking towards me to a trail that led to the neighbors property. She stopped as she caught my scent.

I was wondering if the wind would be an issue. I had a deep ravine behind me that I was afraid was carrying a thermal up. Then the main wind direction was south to north (my left to right) which is just weird for us. However from the direction of travel I was hoping they wouldn't catch it. Well, she did and stopped. Now she stopped right in front of me, broadside, at about 15 yards. Well within my comfort zone. However when she stopped the two yearlings ran right up beside her on either side and started looking around. She got a pass because of them. They were very in tune with mommas body language. Their youthful attention span didn't last long though and they were off roaming, right under my stand! The one fella was a little button buck. The lead doe had me pegged and was just sniffing the air. She knew something was amiss but couldn't put it together.

I didn't see the trailing doe until a few seconds later and she was actually off to my right under the tree that had blocked my view of their approach. The lead doe slowly started turning and moving away from me, not spooking, but totally trusting her spidey senses. The little ones started watching her and eventually decided mother knows best and left to follow her. With them and mom not looking for danger I was able to grab my bow and stand. I readied for an opportunity at the trailing doe as she was now headed right to left and would pass in front of me at about 10 yards. She was just about to take that last step or two and expose her vitals when she turned to her right to follow the others. AHHHH! So close. I had come to full draw, found my anchor and was just waiting on the timing. In this picture my arrow is pointing at the branches she was protected by.

I have yet to shoot a deer in the morning. All my trailing has been at night with flash lights and I was so looking forward to having daylight to help. That and being able to go grab some victory flap jacks somewhere! But alas, I could only text my son and let him know the deer were moving and ask if he had seen anything. He wasn't seeing/hearing anything and was a little disappointed he had given up his stand. I'm guessing he's not going to do that ever again.

A little while after I closed my eyes to reflect and just listen to the sounds around me. Wouldn't you know it I open my eyes to see another doe too far out to shoot but standing broadside. What a spot! I can't believe Jack was so generous. Then I notice another doe behind her! Man, I don't ever see this many deer in a season let alone one sit! But yet again, she knew something wasn't right and was looking in my direction. She also thought better of the situation and turned 180 degrees and walked off to safety taking her friend with her.

Man what a morning. For me anyway. Jack didn't see a thing. We were both a little chilly and agreed to sit until 10. At that time I got down and slowly made my way to him. Once I got to his stand we exited the woods together while I shared my tales from the morning. I tried to down play the situation as I could tell he was a little disappointed. Humility is a tough pill to swallow for us isn't it? He shot a doe the first afternoon of sitting in that spot last year. I think he was expecting the same sort of success this time around.

After some Jimmy Johns and a nap we headed back to the property. As we walked the road back up to the property I asked Jack where he wanted to sit, duh! I opted to go back to the apple tree from the previous weekend where I saw that little buck. I decided if he came in I'd take a shot at him if the opportunity arose. I had to move the stand to accommodate the weird wind. But once I was settled I just had a good feeling.

About a two hours before last night I hear rustling in the leaves behind me. Man my heart started thumpin' as I thought this is it. I held as still as possible as the noise got closer and closer. It was right under me! I slowly turn my head to make visual contact and couldn't find a deer. Instead I find a ruffed grouse! Those things are loud!

Once I calmed down and the grouse walked away I was able to slowly get back into that patient trance where a hunter just sits motionless and becomes one with his surroundings. Well it was getting dark and I hear some more rustling in the leaves directly behind me again. Immediately I assume it's another grouse. That's what I get for assuming, I made a huge mistake. I turn my head with little to no regard and see the buck catch me and stop. OH NO! The old Mexican stand off. I freeze, he froze and I started praying. Funny how strong my prayer life is during hunting season.

He knew the gig was up but again, he didn't spook. He just slowly backed up, stomped a foot and walked away. I know we can't always be completely scent free, but this guy came with in feet of me, down wind and I was only about 6' up a tree. I shower with that green soap, wash my clothes and dress at the truck. I'm a believer that a little preparation and discipline is worth it. I wasn't able to get a picture of him obviously as he had me pegged. But earlier I did take another picture of my sexy bow. Wanna see?!

My little boy (not really little anymore) didn't see a dang thing. Poor kid. We walked out in the dark, quiet, and mulling over our options for the following morning. We grabbed a bite to eat at a local watering hole on the way back to the motel and made some new friends that own 500 acres. Those are good friends to have. Maybe we'll bump into them again...

The next morning I awoke on my own feeling really rested. I couldn't believe how good I felt for not having slept but maybe 6 hours. I got up to use the bathroom and when I came back to bed I checked to see how much time I had to sleep still. IT WAS 5:45!! We over slept! We should be walking up the hill right now! I quickly arouse my snoring boy and tell him dad screwed up. Smart phones are only as smart as the idiot using them. I had forgot to change the day on the alarm clock. My son just said "Oh well, I'd rather sleep in". Someday he'll learn you can't kill em from the house.

I laid there kicking myself for about another half hour and decided to get up. We had left a stand, game cart and safety ropes at the property anticipating another hunt. Those items had to be retrieved so I grabbed some coffee in the lobby and made the solo trip to retrieve our equipment. Even I spooked deer this morning I wasn't going to tell Jack that. That would be salt in the wound. As it turned out I didn't spook anything deer but I did flush a grouse and about crapped my pants.

It was a beautiful morning and as I entered the field I was awestruck at the image I was afforded. I snapped a few pictures and am having one printed as a gift for the landowner. He keeps telling me to stop with the gifts but it's only right. He doesn't ask for anything in return and is always offering his land for my use. Oh, also bought him a 6 pack of New Glarus Staghunter. It's their Oktoberfest seasonal and it's only sold in Wisconsin. Hope he likes that too.

Well, we made the drive home safely. All the while wondering if we'd be able to make it back. We'd love to go back the first weekend in November which I think would be just fantastic. However school and money will be the deciding factor there. Here's to hoping for some overtime!

-Jeremy

Return to “Bow Hunting experiences”