Tell us your Traditional Bow Hunting experiences
Forum rules
Discuss all aspects of the hunt.
Jose

Indiana Longbow Buck

#1 Post by Jose »

IMG_4111.JPG
IMG_4111.JPG (59.71 KiB) Viewed 228 times
WOW.....what an evening!! The good Lord has blessed the Miller family with some more meat in the freezer as well as the biggest buck I have killed yet with the longbow. Hunting has been somewhat slow this year compared to other years. I have not seen near the amount of deer as I usually do. I have been on vacation for over a week now and have hunted nearly every morning and evening. This evening I decided to hunt at a farm I have permission at which is about an hour drive one way. I drove to the farm which is about 45 acres CRP and 15 acres woods. I arrived to the farm and got dressed. I decided to use some buck bomb since it is that time of year. I sprayed some on my boots and began walking back to my stand. When I got to the stand I decided to spray some buck bomb in the area in attempts to draw and/or stop any bucks that may walk down the path. I sprayed some around the area and on acouple tree branches which were in my shooting lanes. I climbed up in the tree and waited for prime time. So while waiting I decided to get on Tradhunter and catch up on some of the posts. After about an hour and a half I caught movement in front of me to the left in one of the three CRP fields. It looked like a doe had stood up from bedding. She began walking away from me towards the west. About five minutes later I saw her bound back in through the field to the area she came from. I had a feeling it was a buck that brought her back into the field. I scanned the field to the far side and sure enough, there was a monster buck. All I saw was rack and he was about 200 yards away. I watched him walk towards the doe and then he turned and began walking towards the west. I let out a few grunts and he stopped and looked back. He then continued on a lane which runs parallel to the tree I was in but it was about 225 yards away. I then let out a few louder grunts and stopped him again. He then turned and began walking directly at me. It seemed like forever for him to get close to me. He ended up about 40 yards away and I could see he was a huge 10 point. (Not the buck I shot by the way) He then circled downwind behind me and stopped. I thought, "oh no he is going to wind me". Sure enough, he smelled something he did not like (me) and turned and trotted off. I was both excited and disappointed. It was such a privilege to see such a magnificent animal but it was disappointing to see him go the other way. I sat in the tree and thought about everything that just happened. I questioned using the buck bomb, stand placement, wind direction and everything else. After about twenty minutes I saw movement in front of me at about 100 yards. It was the doe again which the buck had brought back into the area. She was now crossing over into another CRP field on the property eating as she was going. I was watching her thinking, "I will shoot her if she comes close enough because I still need more meat". Suddenly she stops and looks my direction as if she heard my thoughts. I knew she did not see or smell me because I did not move and the wind was in my face. I slowly turned around to look behind me and saw this main frame 8 pointer facing and looking the opposite direction. I could not figure out how he made it by me without me seeing him. After thinking about it later I think he was watching the big 10 point to make sure he would not come back. The 8 then turned towards my direction and began walking. He then stopped and lifted his nose. I think he smelled the buck bomb and came into shooting range like he was on a leash. He was behind some bushes making a scrape for about five minutes so some footage is edited. He then walked into the first opening and stopped. He looked up towards my direction but I don't know if he was looking at me or the squirrel that had been behind me causing a racket. He must have decided everything was fine and began walking into my second shooting lane. I picked the spot and let the arrow go. Although the arrow did not go where I had wanted it to and it hit a little further back than anticipated. The arrow was a complete pass through and the buck bolted. I thought in that brief moment, "it is okay, I have a string tracker so if I hit a little far back, I will still find him". I watched him run in a half circle then he stopped. Then about 3 seconds later he fell over. He died about 35 yards from my tree. It was such an amazing hunt and experience. I can not express how excited and thankful I am to have taken such a fantastic animal. The video of the hunt is below.....

https://youtu.be/A9YhwDRubuk

Graps

Re: Indiana Longbow Buck

#2 Post by Graps »

:shock: How do you do that ?! :shock:
You gotta share the secret .
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

stumper

#3 Post by stumper »

Apparently I need to move to Indiana. Congrats!!! Also that string tracker is awesome gonna have to get me one.
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

dhaverstick

#4 Post by dhaverstick »

He's a dandy! Congratulations!

Darren

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#5 Post by Carpdaddy »

Awesome Buck!! Wow! I’m with Graps, you got to share your secrets! This is not luck, you do it every year, I just made the statement a short time ago in here that it was about time for you to score!! Congratulations, congrats, atta-boy, way ta go, etc. Thanks for taking us along with the video, I’m sooo jealous. :mrgreen:

Shadowhntr

#6 Post by Shadowhntr »

Man that is a GREAT deer! Congratulations! Boy, I wonder what that 10 point was like... :shock:
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Jamesh76

#7 Post by Jamesh76 »

Congrats

Longtrad

#8 Post by Longtrad »

what a fine deer, congrats! how do the string trackers work? it looked like the arrow passed through but the string tracker stayed in the deer?

Graps

#9 Post by Graps »

https://www.driftertraditionalarchery.c ... ng-tracker
Here you go, this guy is very nice to deal with. His leather crafting is very good.
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

stumper

#10 Post by stumper »

Yep that’s my next purchase there
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Return to “Bow Hunting experiences”