Tell us your Traditional Bow Hunting experiences
Forum rules
Discuss all aspects of the hunt.
Mohawk

This is my first longbow kill

#1 Post by Mohawk »

20171120_174448-640x480.jpg
20171120_174448-640x480.jpg (85.57 KiB) Viewed 663 times
I got out yesterday evening to hunt, the wind was blowing pretty good from the southwest and clouds were rolling in to filter the sun. Despite the wind it was a great evening to be out. I was maybe 15 feet up in the only climbing tree in a brushy patch of timber on a bean field edge. About 4:30 I saw a doe and 2 fawns headed my way. I had planned on them coming from the south and hooking west toward the field and maybe giving me 2 different shot ops. Well they'd have nothing to do with my plan. They milled around south of me a while, then the next thing I know that doe is nosing around where I came in. She knew something was amiss but not enough to go into full panic mode. Eventually she settled down and came back towards me, but instead of hooking west like I kept telling her to do, she stayed on course and was coming behind me! :evil: I hadn't even considered that and there was a brushy hedge tree between her and I that just was gonna be a pain to make the shot, but that's where it was happening. I got turned around and right where she was headed was a hole in the brush. I had to hold my bow straight up and down and there's no way I hit full draw even though I hit anchor, the way I was bunched up. She gave me the shot at 5 yards and I let fly. The arrow stayed in but did punch through the off side. I could occasionally see her as she ran north, then slowed as she turned east, then I saw an erratic flash of white where she stopped. This Maddog bow was given to me by none other than Shadow and what a gift it is!

Captainkirk
Site Admin

Re: This is my first longbow kill

#2 Post by Captainkirk »

Dude!!! Congrats on a beautiful animal! And the fact that it was Shadow's old bow makes it even more special! No doubt you will be sharing backstraps with him...right?
Aim small, miss small!

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#3 Post by Carpdaddy »

Congratulations Jim; that’s great!! I know what you mean, Deer never read the script, glad you were able to make it happen anyway.

Graps

#4 Post by Graps »

Way to get it done.
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Mohawk

#5 Post by Mohawk »

Captainkirk wrote:Dude!!! Congrats on a beautiful animal! And the fact that it was Shadow's old bow makes it even more special! No doubt you will be sharing backstraps with him...right?
:lol: That's the least I can do!
Thanks guys! Things usually don't work out that well, as you know. It has been a while since I trad killed a deer. I'm pretty sure this doe will taste a bit sweeter than others.

stumper

#6 Post by stumper »

nice!!
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Jose

#7 Post by Jose »

Great job Jim! That's awesome!!

Crazynate

#8 Post by Crazynate »

Congrats on a beautiful harvest.
Goodnight Chesty Wherever You Are.

dhaverstick

#9 Post by dhaverstick »

Congratulations! I hope it's the first of many more to come.

Darren

Shadowhntr

#10 Post by Shadowhntr »

Yep......thats ma buddy! I wish I could say I'm surprised but I'm just not! :lol: You been hunting a LOOOOONG time....and your a great shot, and you know ur stuff!

That ol sneaky doe didn't have nutin on you...Even if she didn't listen to EXACTLY what you was telling her, she got it close enough!

I don't want none of that dadgum ol nasty doe. If it were a hog...I might be talked in to it.... but no deer! Lol! I still got PLENTY deer! Besides...im gonna have to bring the rest o my hog home now and I ain't got much room as it is! :lol:

Congrats again bro....im super proud of ya! :D
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Return to “Bow Hunting experiences”