Standing with Elk

Tell us your Traditional Bow Hunting experiences
Forum rules
Discuss all aspects of the hunt.
Carpdaddy
Site Admin

Re: Standing with Elk

#16 Post by Carpdaddy »

Oh wow, what an exciting hunt, I can imagine how bad I would have been shaking, and probably the entire tree!! But I don’t think I would have been able to shoot a cow either with the Bull present. But I probably would have already shook all my arrows out before the Bull arrived! 😫

stumper

#17 Post by stumper »

wow
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

kennym

#18 Post by kennym »

Most excellent!! :D

Dan

#19 Post by Dan »

Awesome hunt

Greg Felty

#20 Post by Greg Felty »

Glad you took us along on the hunt.
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#21 Post by Captainkirk »

I am not at all disappointed you didn't bag one, Tom. The hunt was exciting and breathtaking, just like as if I was there!
Aim small, miss small!

kennym

#22 Post by kennym »

Tom, a couple years ago I passed the biggest doe I've ever seen alive or dead. All because there was a good 8 point following her at 50 yards. He stopped to rub a tree.

The prehistoric wretch of a doe stopped at 12 yards and looked the other way, but I was wanting the buck. She went on and the buck started coming, I thought oooo hh yeaaahhh here we go. The doe was 50 yards past and must have caught my stink a little, she half snorted. The buck looped out at 40 yards and went right on toward her.

She was bigger than the buck by a fair amount.

Should have shot the doe and then the buck when he came thru!! LOL

Elkman
Site Admin

#23 Post by Elkman »

kennym wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:27 pm She was bigger than the buck by a fair amount.

Should have shot the doe and then the buck when he came thru!! LOL
I thought about that same thing many times during the first part of that hunt. I didn't want to spook them all out of there. If one gets spooked, generally the entire herd takes off. Another thing I was considering, was if I let some by, they may filter down towards my neighbor sitting in the ground blind. He has never shot an elk with his bow. He is 76 years old, can only hear out of one ear and is recovering from cancer treatments. For him to get one would have been far better than me getting one.
I am very used to letting elk walk by in hopes of getting a shot at the herd Bull or for my hunting partner to have an opportunity of getting a shot. One of the first few times that my neighbor went out with me I passed on three Bulls in one morning in hopes of getting a shot at the herd Bull. He wasn't a bowhunter at the time. That really freaked him out. Everyone of them were inside 25 yards. The last one was at about 18 yards. Each time he would ask me what was wrong with that one. Back then I was trophy hunting Bulls and the wolf problem was not as bad. I had confidence that I would have more opportunities.
These days I try and tell myself to take the first legal one that gives you a shot. This time I didn't listen to myself.
Looking back now about 15 days later. What I wish I would have done is videoed what was happening in front of me. I only had my phone, but it would have been better than nothing. I tried to get as much detail as I could in the post, but nothing tells the story better than video.

This year so far I only had the three close encounters that I posted about. There used to be a time when I/we would have that in one day. Darn wolves!!
What I do with elk is not much different than what many do with deer. They are just bigger. To bad there aren't more elk in the east.

Sometime I will tell you guys another experience from the past while I was using my Takedown Recurve that I made years ago if your interested.
Calling Elk - Awesome! !€

Graps

#24 Post by Graps »

Most definitely interested. ;)
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#25 Post by Captainkirk »

Graps wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:52 pm Most definitely interested. ;)
X2
Aim small, miss small!

Return to “Bow Hunting experiences”