This equals that

Tell us your Traditional Bow Hunting experiences
Forum rules
Discuss all aspects of the hunt.
Jamesh76

This equals that

#1 Post by Jamesh76 »

Wanted to make sure I had the finished product before I posted. There is not a lot to this story. Working Midnights, I sometimes have evenings free to hunt rather than just my days off. I settled in the stand at about 1600 hours. I had been getting a lot of pictures of does and 2 nice bucks about 150" during the day. The previous week, I had a doe and 2 yearlings come into range but opt to pass on her. I am sitting right against a steep drop off at a bend along a creek. There is a heavily traveled trail coming up in front of me at about 8-10 yards. About 15 minutes in the stand. I see this doe on the other side of the creek. It was like a script and happened very fast. She entered the creek to get a drink and proceeded right up the drop off to the trail leading in front of me. I am about 15' up in my ladder stand and the bottom of the creek is a good 30-35 feet below me. As she was drinking, I stood and readied myself for her to come up the bank. As she came up, she turned perfectly stopping giving me a pretty good quartering away shot. I was ready with tension on the string, hit my anchor and released. I hit her solid. She trotted off at a slow pace about 20 yards and bedded down. Out of the 80 or so deer I have killed with a stick, she was 1 of 2 who didn't just take out running. It has been pretty rare when I don't get a pass thru. This was one of them odd cases. Most of the time, they will break off the arrow running, pull it out with their mouth or they hit the ground with the death stumble and break or dislodge it rolling around. I couldn't believe it, she just trotted and laid down..... I could see my arrow, I was certain it was a good shot. But why would she just lay down like that and not run all out I will never know. She laid there a few minutes and then rolled over on her side. I watched her for a good 30 minutes and she never picked her head backup. As I approached her, I was looking at this shot placement. There was very very minimal blood at the entrance. It was high on the body, but I would have expected more than there was. I wiped off just enough as I inspected the entrance to make a couple of my fingers red. I was shooting 2 blade 100 grain Magnus black heads, which I have had decent blood trails with in the past. I tugged to remove the arrow. It felt as it may have been in the opposite shoulder. Luckily my broadhead did not come off the arrow. That glue from Big Jim's is pretty dang good I'd say. As I rolled her over, I could just see where the tip had poked out behind the shoulder in the arm pit. I called my son and his friend who came out. I wanted to show him how to quarter deer in the field. He being 16 now, will hunt on his own from time to time. I wanted to make sure he had a reminder just in case I was at work and couldn't help, he could get a deer into the fridge. We loaded her up into my 2 alice packs and hiked out to the truck.
Attachments
20181006_161601-600x800.jpg
20181006_161601-600x800.jpg (208.54 KiB) Viewed 188 times
20181012_002049-600x800.jpg
20181012_002049-600x800.jpg (135.22 KiB) Viewed 194 times

Graps

Re: This equals that

#2 Post by Graps »

Nice package of meat. Well done. :D
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#3 Post by Carpdaddy »

Congratulations on a nice Deer, thanks for sharing the story.

Dan

#4 Post by Dan »

Nice doe That is odd that she bedded down with the arrow still in her, haven’t seen that before

Shadowhntr

#5 Post by Shadowhntr »

Nice congratulations!
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Greg Felty

#6 Post by Greg Felty »

Congrats on a nice deer. Thank's for the story.
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

Elkman
Site Admin

#7 Post by Elkman »

Nice Doe, Great story!
She is going to be good eating.
Calling Elk - Awesome! !€

dhaverstick

#8 Post by dhaverstick »

That is odd that she laid down. I've never seen one do that. Thanks for sharing your story and congratulations on some fine table fare!

Darren

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#9 Post by Captainkirk »

Never seen or heard of that happening before.
Aim small, miss small!

Jamesh76

#10 Post by Jamesh76 »

Captainkirk wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:53 pm Never seen or heard of that happening before.
Nope. Still puzzles me. Been trying to research it and see if anyone else has had a similar experiance. It seems most common with liver or gut shots, but I dont think I hit either. I used the gutless method on her, as I packed her out. I wish now, I would have inspected a little more closely. Probably would have if rain didnt move in. The other deer I shot that gave no reaction was back in my wheel days probably 10 years or so ago. Had a 8 pointer come up a ridge and turn broadside. I let one go and he just flinched. Didn't run or anything. Thinking I missed, I loaded another arrow and shot again. The buck didn't take a step, just dropped. When I pulled the hide off that one, there were 2 entrance holes from a 2 blade screw in 100 grain magnus classic. Both shots were double lung.

Return to “Bow Hunting experiences”