A big boar that got away

Tell us your Traditional Bow Hunting experiences
Forum rules
Discuss all aspects of the hunt.
jaydee2trad

A big boar that got away

#1 Post by jaydee2trad »

I was in a creek bottom deer hunting with an old longbow. I had a lot of hog sign as well and was up a good tree to watch a water crossing. It was a slow morning until I began to hear a loud popping sound every little bit in the thick brush. I knew of one thing that did that in the woods, a bear eating Hickory nuts. So I was surprised to see a big boar coming my way and he was scarfing up the nuts as he came. I had 3 blade snuffers on my arrows that day and was waiting and watching for my chance. The hog fed right under me and so I had a perfect nearly straight down shot between the shoulder blades. Just as I released, it suddenly backed up to get another nut! I watched in dismay as the arrow sunk into the back of the skull and stopped. The boar came to life and busted on thru the brush. I listened to the arrow banging as it went thru the thick stuff and then it quit. I gave it an hour before climbing down to see what I could find. A little bit later, I found the arrow complete except the head. I could track it for about a hundred yards simply by the sign that it left but never found any blood. I searched on along the creek and found where it had crossed but still no blood or sign that it was even hurt. I really didn't want one that big and old anyways so it was back to deer hunting. JD

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

Re: A big boar that got away

#2 Post by Carpdaddy »

Tough critters from what I hear. Never got to hunt them hardly any as we don’t have any around these parts. Took a couple short trips to a place I had heard about one year but no luck.

Elkman
Site Admin

#3 Post by Elkman »

I have to try that hog hunting sometime.
Calling Elk - Awesome! !€

jaydee2trad

#4 Post by jaydee2trad »

years ago I had a dog that was half pitbull and redbone hound just for hogs. this was a favored combination around this area of the country for pigs. My son-n-law usually gets a handful of pigs every year with archery equipment (not trad). I can't get around like I used to at all and so it would be a miracle for me to get one now. Have seen up to twnety of them on the lease here but not where I am able to hunt but who knows. My lease is nearly all straight up and down (ridges and mountains) and mostly pine with the creeks being hardwood. The pigs mainly follow the creekbeds for the critters and acorns but still venture out for other stuff.

Return to “Bow Hunting experiences”