It was a smelly moment!

Tell us your Traditional Bow Hunting experiences
Forum rules
Discuss all aspects of the hunt.
jaydee2trad

It was a smelly moment!

#1 Post by jaydee2trad »

This was around 1979, I was hunting some honeysuckle with my 50 # Bear bow. It was a very thick spot, the honeysuckle hung thick everywhere for about 75 yards in all directions. There were big piles of dirt and rock everywhere with the suckle covering it all up. It was nearly dark and I had the wind in my favor as I very slowly eased forward down one of 5 or 6 deer trails that went everywhere thru it. I just knew that at any second, a deer would appear and nearly everything was legal for the bow back then. I was meat hunting and my Bear Razorhead was ready for action. I had made some scent coverup stuff out of cedar and was hoping that it would work okay. As I slowly eased forward, I began hearing something making some small noises, somewhere ahead. Now my hearing wasn't the best any more from working on the flightline in the Air Force. So I was straining hard to figure out where and what for sure it was. One thing that I had learned, squirrels can turn into deer and deer into squirrels so anything was possible. But what ever it was, I couldn't locate it in this mess of tangles. It was getting darker and darker in this mess but still was daylight. My bow was at ready with my arrow ready to be drawn back. Now I just knew that I had to be seeing what ever it was but where was it. Suddenly my eyes realized that something had moved right in front of me and nearly at my feet. As my eyes quickly focused, I realized that it was not a good thing at all, it was a small civic cat, a smaller version of a skunk. It was suddenly within inches of being right between my feet when it stopped and began to look up. My reaction was pretty quick as I drew and placed the broadhead right thru between the shoulders, pinning it to the ground. I waited for the stench but nothing, nothing at all. Cool, I thought, I never get this lucky! So it was now getting darker and I knew that I needed to work my way back out. So I stepped down hard on the little dude's head and pulled my arrow out of the ground and it. And that was when I saw the tail suddenly twitch around and then straighten out slowly. Even before I could turn around and move as fast as I could, I knew that it was too late. When I got to the truck, the boots came off and went into the back of it. Even with the windows down and the little wing windows opened all the way, they didn't help much if any. Got to the house and stayed outside as I stripped down trying to keep the smell outside. But when I went inside, the wife instantly jerked her head around and began complaining. Shower shower shower but still smelled like skunk. I was attending the local Vocational School and the next day, everybody gave me a wide berth. The funny thing is that skunk never has smelled that bad to me, there are far worse things out there like a hot rotting carcass. Yeah, the little kitties sure can stink according to the 3 year old daughter at the time. JD

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

Re: It was a smelly moment!

#2 Post by Carpdaddy »

Never had the pleasure and don’t think I want to! Funny story now, probably not funny at the time, that’s hunting! I got treed by a skunk once, it was under me when it was time to come down, didn’t want to leave. My buddies got a little concerned that night that I was so long getting back to the truck but had a good laugh afterwards.

Grizzly

#3 Post by Grizzly »

Yuck. I've got two skunk stories that didn't turn out like yours thankfully. My first and only new car was a 1972 Camaro with a 4 speed. While it was still very new, I was coming home from a dinner date with a young lady on a dark and dreary evening. It might have been drizzling too. Any way, I came around this corner probably doing the speed limit on a two laner when right in front of me was not one skunk crossing the road, but a whole family single file crossing in front of me. Somehow between braking and swerving, I missed them all. Whew. I'l never forget that one.

Another time, my step-mother kept complaining that she was hearing something outside in the back yard. Night after night I heard the same story. We were out in the country and during the winter, there should not have been anyone nearby the house. Soon she began to worry that it was a prowler. Finally, after hearing this so many times, I grabbed a shotgun, loaded it with some bird shot and when out back to look around with a flashlight. I didn't see anyone but out of the corner of my eye I saw something scamper under the finished porch that was now another bedroom. I bent down with the flashlight and the shotgun at the ready only to suddenly recognize a skunk. Oops, have a nice day buddy, I'm out of here......I guess that's how nature planned it - back off and all is well. Or are they sometimes fast on the trigger? I hope I never find out.
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#4 Post by Captainkirk »

Years ago I was sitting around the fire. Our dog was sitting with me. Suddenly she perked her head up, then got up to investigate...seconds later she let out a yelp...GOOD GRIEF! Poor dog had to sleep outside that night! After doing a little research online, I found a highly recommended spray called "Nature's Miracle" and let me tell ya, the stuff works! Doggy got to come back inside after 2 days of exile. As long as we owned animals after that there was ALWAYS a full bottle of that stuff under the kitchen sink!
Aim small, miss small!

Elkman
Site Admin

#5 Post by Elkman »

Oh man, that didn't sound fun at all. I have seen skunks of course, but never one of those critters.

I had a brief encounter last year. I thought for sure I was going to get nailed. I went out, before going to bed one evening, to make sure I had locked up my shop when I got about fifteen feet from the door I saw something down in front of me. I thought it was just the neighbors cat, but when I hit it with my little key chain light it was a skunk. I froze! I knew there was nothing I could do. It was only about 4 feet in front of me, but it just walked towards the door of the shop then turned to the right and out into the yard. I was amazed and relieved at the same time. As he walked off, like he had no care in the world, I could see it was just a young little thing half the size of others I have seen. I think I was lucky that night.
Calling Elk - Awesome! !€

Grizzly

#6 Post by Grizzly »

A little Pepe Le Pew.......a real heart stopper
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

Return to “Bow Hunting experiences”