Went this morning

Tell us your Traditional Bow Hunting experiences
Forum rules
Discuss all aspects of the hunt.
jaydee2trad

Went this morning

#1 Post by jaydee2trad »

Hunted from a natural ground blind of downed trees this morning. I was sitting uphill below a stretch where the deer have worn out walking back and forth. It was a very cool morning and damp, was glad I wore my heavy plaid shirt. Didn't know we had so many roosters in this area but they sure did a lot of crowing. The usual cattle bellowring with a mule or two joining in. I am facing up the mountain with the wind coming from the SW, My dad has told me that he has seen the deer early in the morning coming from the south corner of the timber out into this stretch. So I am hunting this spot for that. A heavy fog rolls in around 7:40 or so and it is wet, wasn't dressed for wet this morning. At almost 8:30, a deer had quietly come in from behind me to less than 20 yards. I have my hearing aids in and on high when this deer blows hard at me. I just about jumped out of my stool. The wind should have still been good for even it but I guess it changed for a second. This one had come from the neighbor's land, skirting around the area that got sprayed with the herbicide a month or so ago. Anyways, I just took down a short two man buddy stand to set up for a north wind to hunt where this deer just came from. So, didn't get a shot but had some action plus it was wonderful to watch and hear the world come to life plus breath the fresh outdoors air. There are some things that a lot of people just totally miss out on. Had a lot of squirrels this morning, one got within three feet of me and was headed my way until I bobbed my head. Then he didn't know what to do. Also had a hawk almost get one of them right out in front of me, very lucky squirrel. love bowhunting!

Elkman
Site Admin

Re: Went this morning

#2 Post by Elkman »

Yes got to love it, Had some fantastic times bowhunting.
Calling Elk - Awesome! !€

jaydee2trad

#3 Post by jaydee2trad »

Went this morning, first got blown at from the north and minutes later from the south, hate these mountain winds. The winds are never what they say that they will be and then they are swirling so much as they swap directions. Had a spike come out above me and milled around for a while before leaving out. thirty minutes later he was back and was headed away from me when I grunted several times to stop him and bring back part of the way. At this point, any legal deer may have an arrow loosened towards it. Added three steps to my buddy stand and that made a big difference. Of course there was a yearling watching me do it. The game camera had more coyotes than deer on it. not good.

Greg Felty

#4 Post by Greg Felty »

It just a matter of time one will get in range.
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

Return to “Bow Hunting experiences”