How to miss at 6 feet

Tell us your Traditional Bow Hunting experiences
Forum rules
Discuss all aspects of the hunt.
jaydee2trad

How to miss at 6 feet

#1 Post by jaydee2trad »

Several years ago, I was at a spot that I called the Rattlesnake Stand. I was in a short stand, A hang on stand that was only about 6 or 7 feet high but well hidden by the cedar trees that I had placed all around in the front and sides of it. I had to climb in from the right side and had a ton of cover to hide me and any movements. From inside my stand, I could just see good enough to the sides to see if something was coming but I also could see several scrapes off to my extreme left. There was a Y intersection of old logging roads at this spot where the scrapes were and one road that I was watching about 35 yards away from them. My one and only shot would be super close, 8 yards max and nearly straight out in front of me. I had moved the cedars around to just give me this decent window to shoot thru and it was a "How can you miss" spot. So this one morning, A very big bodied buck had slipped in and was working the scrape, so I got ready with my 50b recurve. I could easily make out his high rack and how they had the mass too. Suddenly he was on the move and was going to walk right in front of me at 6 foot or so. I was already half drawn when his head started thru my opening and I was in progress of drawing to release when I realized something bad and jerked my bow up as fast as I could when I released. The law was very clear on a minimum of 3 points on one side and this was the biggest forked horn I had ever seen. So somehow I managed to miss the buck, easily a 3 or 4 year old and totally illegal. I was so haopy and yet so sad because it was a very mature buck and doing a lot of breeding. We also had a huge spike that was getting old but illegal.

Hill billy

Re: How to miss at 6 feet

#2 Post by Hill billy »

Yea that 3point is not a good subject with me. At least you meant to miss ! I shot right over a buck at about 8 steps one time. And I was on the ground! Adrenaline can cause misery if not controlled!

Hill billy

Re: How to miss at 6 feet

#3 Post by Hill billy »

I meant the 3 point rule!!

Return to “Bow Hunting experiences”