Just Curious... Where Y'all from.. and Who hunts Elk... or Would Like too?

Share your elk hunting knowledge, give tips on how to hunt elk. Ask any questions you may have about elk hunting.
Forum rules
Please stick to elk hunting
Donnie

Re: Just Curious... Where Y'all from.. and Who hunts Elk... or Would Like too?

#11 Post by Donnie »

Graps,

When I lived in Michigan I remember all the talk about the Elk and the chances of getting drawn in the "Lottery". I have taken a lot of Elk... and I was mostly interested in the Whitetails there in MI. A sight I will always remember is on a chilly and very snowy November morning.... I was driving to Lansing (from the Grand Rapids area,) and I saw a "line" of whitetails trotting across a field heading for the cover of the trees.... I bet there were over 100. I was about 200 yards away... and it was snowing pretty good... so I couldn't make out any bucks... but it made me pull over and watch! I absolutely loved Michigan!!!!

Carpdaddy,

I hope and pray that you have had a full recovery and get a chance to finally go! I spent a little time in Kentucky (Lawrenceburg,) and thought it was really pretty! I saw a bunch of deer.... and horses! :lol: I hope to hear about an up coming Elk hunt for you!!!

Captainkirk,

I have never hunted Illinois... even though I worked there for about two years. (I was a Railroad Supervisor for the Signal Dept for the "Metra" there in Chicago.... but I was actually living in Michigan City, over in Indiana.) I hear that there are some really great places to hunt Whitetails there! In many, MANY ways I really miss the Midwest. I hope to take my wife (Sherrie) there someday... around October 20th and drive around lake Michigan, to show here the Fall colors.

Elkman,

Here in Oregon... I always look forward to the 'Teens" of September for the rut. (the heat of August is gone and we are finally getting some cooler weather,) Is it the same in Montana? I did some work from Silver Bow MT, down to Pocatello, ID.... and I have seen some impressive herds out in the farmers fields! I loved the country... and the people were great!

Greg Felty,

You mentioned how much work it is dragging to drag a Whitetail out. I have actually turned my back on an elk because it was late... raining... I was already physically exhausted... and even though Elk hunting is a lot of fun.... ya really dont know how much work it is until one is actually on the ground and you pull that knife out of your pocket!!!! :shock: The last bull I took, I was able to get 349 lbs of "Packaged" meat!!! (I cut up my own Elk & Deer) Each hind leg that I packed out weighed about 135 lbs each!!! (The front legs only weighed about 75 lbs each,) I normally dont de-bone the legs and besides... I give the bones to my German Shepherd! After I pack out an Elk (I usually hunt alone,) and package all the meat... It usually takes me about a week to recover.... the whole time I keep telling myself that this is THE LAST TIME I WILL EVER SHOOT AN ELK!!!!!!!!!!!!!............ Then around November... when I'm sitting by the wood stove... and I realized that I actually SURVIVED.... I can't wait to do it again!!! (You would think that I would learn!!! :roll: )

Flemish Dave,

I think the hardest animal to kill was my FIRST bow kill! (It was a doe!) It seems that once I got that first one under my belt... the rest came a lot easier!!! (and THAT is a relative term! ;) ) I cant wait to hear about your success THIS year!!! Good Luck!!!!

Grizzly,

I have heard A lot about "Pike County"... when I watch the hunting shows on TV... it seems like there are Monster Whitetails running down the middle of the street! :mrgreen: You said something..... you said that you enjoy being with your Brothers and Sisters in Church just as much or possible more as you do sitting in a tree stand... In about 2007... I was doing a lot of outdoor writing... and was absolutely pouring myself into the "Outdoor Community"... and I feel as though the Good Lord really impressed on me that I was spending a lot of time doing "My Own Thing".... but wasn't spending much time with Him. Since that time... I have been trying to realign my life so that He is my main pursuit. (There might not be a lot of those here who will understand that... but it truly IS what is important in ones life.) To tell you the truth... this is the first time that I have gotten onto an archery forum since 2007! (Its kinda nice!)

Shadowhntr,

My dream is to take a moose as well!... Elk are great... but you are correct! There is a lot more to hunting a big animal, (like an elk or moose) than walking out in the woods and sticking an arrow in its side!!! (Just remember... "If it was easy, it would be called KILLING... not hunting!") Ya need to get to know somebody out West, and just go Elk hunting with them! They can show you the ropes... and that way if you ever get drawn in your home State... you will have a solid foundation to start from!!!!

Lowcountry,

I dont know how to tell you this... but the Mountains dont seem to be getting any smaller! :lol: I hope you do get a chance to go again... To me Elk Hunting is more than chasing the elk.... Just begin in the Country that they live and thrive in is amazing!!! A lot of people get wrapped up in "The Hunt"... and I guess if yer gonna spend the money to come out West... there is something to that frame of mind. BUT!.... the hunt is the experience... and the Good Lord only gives a man a certain amount of Elk Seasons to enjoy! On my deathbed... I hope I was a wise steward of the Elk Seasons He afforded me... and that I have no regrets of the number of seasons that I missed!

Respectfully,

Donnie
Respectfully,

"Donnie"

stumper

#12 Post by stumper »

"Flemish Dave,

I think the hardest animal to kill was my FIRST bow kill! (It was a doe!) It seems that once I got that first one under my belt... the rest came a lot easier!!! (and THAT is a relative term! ;) ) I cant wait to hear about your success THIS year!!! Good Luck!!!!"

Yeah, I just have to see one close enough. The good news is, if I can hit a squirrel, I am sure a deer will be easy.
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Grizzly

#13 Post by Grizzly »

Actually, the ability to hit a squirrel or a rabbit can be lost after too many years in a Midwest tree stand. We tend to slow down and pick those perfect shots and loose that quickness and confidence that comes with small game hunting. I missed taking a shot from the ground on the biggest turkey I've seen because of that with my 52" recurve.

For a first trad deer, try to find and scout out a trail that parallels a tree line (fence line) between two fields with wood lots at each end of the fence line. They will usually hug the trees and casually walk by you giving you time to get ready. It is usually a 10 to 15 yard shot at a relaxed slow walking or feeding deer. You don't have to get too high either. It helps if the prevailing wind is 90 deg to the tree'd in fence line. On the ground is a whole new ball game.
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

White Falcon

#14 Post by White Falcon »

I have only been twice. Had two bulls come in didn't have a clear shot t either one. Retired now, and body will not take it at that altitude.

Donnie

#15 Post by Donnie »

White Falcon,

Elk Hunting is definitely hard on the body. I'm 51 Y.O. and I do a lot of walking. I may not hunt Elk until my dying day.... but If somebody ever asks me to go when I'm in my 70's, 80's, or 90's... I want to at least be in shape enough that I COULD go if I wanted! If nothing else... I could be the Camp Cook... (Who are usually the ones who get their Elk on a regular bases!) Who knows.... Maybe the mountain air may be more of a benefit than you know! (You could always be the camp cook! ;) )

Respectfully,

Donnie
Respectfully,

"Donnie"

Elkman
Site Admin

#16 Post by Elkman »

Donnie wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:26 am Elkman,

Here in Oregon... I always look forward to the 'Teens" of September for the rut. (the heat of August is gone and we are finally getting some cooler weather,) Is it the same in Montana?
Well, I usually start getting really excited starting around the early "Teens". One problem we now run into here is that the temp still gets a bit high and makes it tougher to get into some good talking. Sometimes it all depends on the concentration of Elk in one given area.
You still have a good chance of running into a Bull still searching or even a bachelor group in close proximity of each other as they search.
Wolves have really impacted this area hard. Actually lots of western Montana and Idaho. It is sad to go out now to some of my favorite spots, sit for a while and before I can let out a locator bugle at dawn, I start hearing wolf howling. It's actually very cool to hear but, not in the middle of an Elk hunt.
Calling Elk - Awesome! !€

Donnie

#17 Post by Donnie »

Elkman,

Its the same here.... Its still pretty warm during the days.... which makes it an all out battle with the Yellow Jackets if you actually get one down.... and then you are kinda worried about the heat and keeping your meat from spoiling. Then one day.... even though it was 85 degrees the day before... you wake up to 6 inches of snow.... and I had been practicing all Summer in a T-Shirt... and now Im walking around with bulky winter clothes on! (Its all fun and games, right!?)

Respectfully,

Donnie
Respectfully,

"Donnie"

White Falcon

#18 Post by White Falcon »

That I could be! Not any free range Elk in Texas, so I would have to do some driving. Just don't have the extra funds or interest in killing an Elk any more. All my hunting buddy's don't go any more for Elk. All my boys are grown and moved away and I would be the only one eating Elk. I still enjoy White Tail hunting and a lot of other out door hobbies. I'm am I good shape, walk, hike, kayak, and shoot recurves and compounds a couple times a week. I also do a lot of leather work to keep me sane.
P.S. I am a good cook and do all the cooking when on a hunting trip! If I lived in an area that had Elk, I would most likely go If I could find someone to give most of the meet to. Or a shelter!

Elkman
Site Admin

#19 Post by Elkman »

Donnie wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:53 pm

Then one day.... even though it was 85 degrees the day before... you wake up to 6 inches of snow.... and I had been practicing all Summer in a T-Shirt... and now Im walking around with bulky winter clothes on! (Its all fun and games, right!?)
Exactly! 🌞😎

Grant,
If you managed to make it up here you would definitely have someone to go with and there are many people up here that would love the meat. Including the local food bank. My neighbor, who I go out with quit often, is 75 and he does pretty good also. We hunt at about 4 to 6 thousand feet, so it's not to bad. I live at about 3750 ft.

Man all this talk about Elk makes me want to go look for some. I just might do that tomorrow. 🤔
Calling Elk - Awesome! !€

Return to “Elk hunting tips and tactics”