Elk Hunt Planning

Share your elk hunting knowledge, give tips on how to hunt elk. Ask any questions you may have about elk hunting.
Forum rules
Please stick to elk hunting
Carpdaddy
Site Admin

Re: Elk Hunt Planning

#21 Post by Carpdaddy »

Man Shortstop, I got out of breath just reading about all that exercise, I thought we were the same age! :lol:
Seriously though; keep it up long as you can, due to some serious health issues I can't do those things anymore. If I ever get to hunt Elk I would take some healthy friends like I do deer hunting.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#22 Post by Captainkirk »

Carpdaddy wrote: If I ever get to hunt Elk I would take some healthy friends like I do deer hunting.
You've got friends? :shock:
Aim small, miss small!

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#23 Post by Carpdaddy »

Yep. I went on a hunting trip the year I had a transplant. Friends scouted and found a close place with sign, set up my stand, took me to the tree, and came back after me after the hunt. I was successful so they did all the dressing and dragging. Now I would call that friends! Surprisingly I have lots of really good friends. So many actually that my wife won't stay near me when we go to Wally World because I can't look around for talking.

Kybownut

#24 Post by Kybownut »

Captainkirk wrote:
Carpdaddy wrote: If I ever get to hunt Elk I would take some healthy friends like I do deer hunting.
You've got friends? :shock:
Even his enemy's like him

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#25 Post by Carpdaddy »

If you Preach as often and in as many Churches as I have these past 35 years you get to know lots of folks and a few of them are bound to like you in spite of yourself. :lol:

Old Shortstop

#26 Post by Old Shortstop »

I have been very fortunate from an injury/health standpoint and I know it. My Grandfather had 2 heart attacks by my age.

Chances are my issues will be orthopedic. The family has a history of degenerative cartilage problems, 8 artificial knees on my Mother's side and my brother has had enough surgeries to build an ortho wing. I played a lot of baseball in my younger years. I have had one elbow surgery on my right side (bow arm) at age 21 and I have been told I am a candidate for a shoulder and elbow replacement as I age. That is another reason for the lifting. If I keep the surrounding muscles strong it seems to relieve the stress on the joints.

D.P.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#27 Post by Carpdaddy »

Do all you can and hope for the best Shortstop. Aging also makes us smarter even though we don't always remember it all. I have learned for example that it doesn't take heavy draw weights to take a whitetail deer.

Old Shortstop

#28 Post by Old Shortstop »

How is everyone's conditioning going? I feel stronger than I have in years and my wind is good. It would be great if I could drop another 5-10 lbs., but I think I could do OK today. I now have a knee brace that I will wear only when packing meat, but that seems to work fine.

D.P.

Return to “Elk hunting tips and tactics”