Elk Hunt Planning

Share your elk hunting knowledge, give tips on how to hunt elk. Ask any questions you may have about elk hunting.
Forum rules
Please stick to elk hunting
Jose

Elk Hunt Planning

#1 Post by Jose »

Hello,

I am from the midwest and have recently booked an elk hunt with an outfitter in western Colorado for 2016. I was wondering if anyone had any good physical training ideas I could use to prepare for the hunt. I am in fairly good condition, (for my age LOL), so I am looking for any advice. My plans are to work on cardio this year. Next year I planned on cardio again but was going to add in jogging on trails through our woods while carrying a daypack and gear. I was going to have 3D targets set at several locations to stop and shoot so I can get use to shooting while fatigued or winded. Any ideas.......

Thanks!
Jose' Miller

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

Re: Elk Hunt Planning

#2 Post by Carpdaddy »

Welcome to the site Jose'. Sorry I'm to old to help with your question, I'm in no shape to get in shape! Best of luck on your adventure.

Cookies

#3 Post by Cookies »

Welcome aboard Josè!
As for training, running, shooting 3d; that sounds like a good start. I'd also start working on controlling your breathing so you're less tired and winded if you have to shot on short notice.
A really good idea would be to get in touch with a skilled and reputable elk guide and learn good calls, etc.

Tradman

#4 Post by Tradman »

Hi jose, You find some good hills to climb and work on those until its go time.Work on upper body as far as packing goes.carry weights in pack up the hill with you.Most critical is stay hydrated as your muscles will grow faster and stronger.Thats pretty much all you need for climbing around with the goats.Lol.Welcome to tradhunter and lets see a buildalong of one of your sweet looking bows.
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHAT'S RIGHT AND IT'S NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHAT'S WRONG....LOU HOLTZ

Tradman

#5 Post by Tradman »

Did you check outfitter references and success rate? Very important.Myself being pretty much as good as it gets in the elk hunting arena (yes i am bragging) can answer any questions you may have.Just ask.There are other veteran elk hunters on here as well that will help.Dont count on your guide being a genious.Question the outfitter about the guides knowledge and calling skills.Anyone can call elk its getting them in to shooting range that is the hardest part.If you paid a lot of money for a hunt dont let the guide sucker you into shooting a spike or raghorn on your first day.We are here for you brother.
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHAT'S RIGHT AND IT'S NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHAT'S WRONG....LOU HOLTZ

Jose

#6 Post by Jose »

Thanks for the welcome and input guys! It sounds like I have some work to do........ but what a good cause!! So far all the references have had nothing but good things to say, even those that did not shoot one. I was told that over 80% of his customer base is return customers and he is already booked all of this year and half of next year. The only thing I heard that was somewhat negative was the bulls are not quite as large. But I am not that picky so we will just see......

Tradman

#7 Post by Tradman »

I think most of colorado has weak gene pools.They should dart and transport some giants from new mexico or arizona and get the racks built up to record type bulls.You have to let the bulls grow up also.Never be a 350" bull if you shoot him as a spike eh.Some parts of colorado have good genes though not sure where exactly.

Tradman

#8 Post by Tradman »

What did you pay if you dont mind my asking?

Jose

#9 Post by Jose »

I don't mind you asking Larry. The total cost is $3400. This includes: guides, spike camp, meals, horses, and packing the meat out. The extra charges are processing, license, and tip. I had to pay $1700 deposit and the remaining at the time of the hunt.

Tradman

#10 Post by Tradman »

Thats very reasonable.You should consider a hunt in the eaglecaps in oregon soon. Unreal.I guided in the caps and boy howdy there are some dandy bulls up there.I called in bulls pushing 380-400 You just gotta know where to find them.I am going to go back one more time before i get to old for it.Last time i went i missed a monster.

Return to “Elk hunting tips and tactics”