Need a rabbit squealer

Come on in and sit a spell. There's a seat for you around the campfire.
Forum rules
Please keep hunting posts to Traditional Bow Hunting. No canned or high fence hunts or stories allowed. Please be respectful of fellow members and helpful to those with questions. Treat others like you like to be treated. There is a Japanese word that I try and model my life after.
GAMAN: patience..dignity..restraint.
Kybownut

Re: Need a rabbit squealer

#11 Post by Kybownut »

If you can pull it up on you tube go to ky afield and search for homemade game caller it uses a MP3 player a small amplifier and a external speaker, all the items can be found at a electronics store pretty cheap then you can download whatever sounds you want from the web. I haven't made one personally but it looks like it would work very well

Kybownut

#12 Post by Kybownut »

Sorry , I didn't read James post but that's what I was talking about also .

Longtrad

#13 Post by Longtrad »

Gave it the old college try, didnt see any fox, not even a rabbit. it was a cold morning with light rain on and off, I did spot a red headed wood pecker though, that was neat. Didnt manage to call anything in but an owl :(

I kind of like this little call though, it fits in the coin pocket of your pants just perfect.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#14 Post by Captainkirk »

Pictures?
Aim small, miss small!

Longtrad

#15 Post by Longtrad »

No pics, i might take some this morning if I remember, its still dark out and mighty cold, maybe I can pull the wool over that ol foxes eyes today.

Longtrad

#16 Post by Longtrad »

no luck but I snapped a few pics on the way back of some sets I tried.

Here is a little trail I found, i am pretty sure fox use it some

so I tucked into the tree here and played on the whistle for a little bit

Here are some other little natural blinds I tried from

Tried to kick some rabbits up, didnt see much of nothin though.

I kind of gave up about half way on my walk back and started stump shooting.

I decided to let the gourd off easy with a good scare.

Shadowhntr

#17 Post by Shadowhntr »

Good pics Clay. Have you tried setting up calling in the low light on each end of the day? Reds can be found in the daylight, but are much more active in darkness. Each end of the day while dim light predominates, would be your best chance at a red. They are quite a bit more shy about that then a coyote.

As always, consider the wind, they have excellent noses and will not likely show if they smell you.

Also, new moon phases are among their more active time periods.
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Longtrad

#18 Post by Longtrad »

I need to try going out earlier more often, I have been trying to figure out their trails when it snows, should I try to set up close to their paths or give their routes space as to not stink them up?

Shadowhntr

#19 Post by Shadowhntr »

Id be more worried about them approaching down wind of your position, then I would be of walking their trails. I mean I wouldnt necessarily want to walk in on a trail, set up, and within a few miutes have a fox come down that same trail while your scent is still hot and fresh. What I mean, is I wouldnt worry a bunch about fox coming across your older scent.

Another thing that sounds like you understand, but I'll mention just in case.....Fox have a fairly large home range they cover. Big enough in fact, it sometimes takes the better part of 2 weeks to get back around to a particular portion of it. So, if your timing happens to fall in between its visits....it could seem like you are after a ghost. They seem like when they do show up at a favored portion of their range, they will kinda hunt and hang around that area for 2-5 days or so, then dissappear off to another portion of their range. A week or two later, they are back again...and on and on the circle goes.

Shadowhntr

#20 Post by Shadowhntr »

Another thing too, is fox are wanderers.....they weave and way in their goings. They may take a trail or feature, but they may not just the same. They most often take the same trail or path, when there is a pinch point forcing them to do so. Other then that, its a crap shoot. They do tend to like to follow certain features that can only loosely be counted on. Crop or fauna change lines, certain terraces, edges of water ways on a field, a few fence rows but they are picky as to the ones they travel, and dead furrows. Its a tough go with a bow brother, based on they can and will travel anywhere there....esp when coming to a call. Best bets would be to get your back/wind to a position where travel is impossible, or hard for the fox. Next best is put your back to a wide open featurless area.

Is there an excessive amount of coyotes in the area?

Return to “Campfire”