Need a rabbit squealer

Come on in and sit a spell. There's a seat for you around the campfire.
Forum rules
Please keep hunting posts to Traditional Bow Hunting. No canned or high fence hunts or stories allowed. Please be respectful of fellow members and helpful to those with questions. Treat others like you like to be treated. There is a Japanese word that I try and model my life after.
GAMAN: patience..dignity..restraint.
Longtrad

Need a rabbit squealer

#1 Post by Longtrad »

I can't find my rabbit in distress call anywhere, its not in my little pack, i think it must have fell out somewhere, either way I need to find that one or get a different one.

Do you guys use mouth calls much? Can anyone recommend a good and affordable cottontail or jack rabbit in distress call?

Captainkirk
Site Admin

Re: Need a rabbit squealer

#2 Post by Captainkirk »

Longtrad wrote:I can't find my rabbit in distress call anywhere, its not in my little pack, i think it must have fell out somewhere, either way I need to find that one or get a different one.

Do you guys use mouth calls much? Can anyone recommend a good and affordable cottontail or jack rabbit in distress call?
Never did have one. They say a rabbit in distress sounds like a woman's screams. If so, then I'm sure I've heard it many times. Like every time a new bow shows up here.
Aim small, miss small!

Longtrad

#3 Post by Longtrad »

The one I had was just a wood blower, some kind of plastic reed in there, (im not real up on how all the calls work) idk much about it other than I can't find it and wish I had some kind of caller.

maybe something besides the old rabbit cry

what about this bird call https://www.fruugo.us/acme-504-predator ... /p-4315349

Jamesh76

#4 Post by Jamesh76 »

I mainly use electric callers now days. But always have a hand call or 2 on me.

Not sure what you are using them for but I really like the Tony Tebbe calls.

http://www.predatoruniversity.com/predu/Welcome.html

Longtrad

#5 Post by Longtrad »

An electric call would be sweet, how many sounds come in them? what calls have you been using?

Longtrad

#6 Post by Longtrad »

I have still been trying to get one of them dang red fox, i have had a few encounters but none a bow distance yet. I havent seen much of them over the winter but recently spotted a few.

I would like a call that could work for all kinds of critters though, the mouth calls appeal to me because they are small and can fit your pocket.

Jamesh76

#7 Post by Jamesh76 »

I use the fox pro hellfire. I think mine holds 250 sounds. If it isn't something you will do often. I wouldn't suggest a fox pro. Coyote Hunting is a passion of mine, I hunt them as often as I can. There are not all that many fox around here, my experience with them is next to none. I see them from time to time, but not a one when on stand for coyotes. I get bobcats now and then. Had 2 come in last year.

There are several other small handheld ones for under $100 you can get. Wildlife Innovations, primos etc.

If you have an academy sporting goods near you. They often clearance them for next to nothing. I have seen $300 callers marked down to $49.99 before. I wish I paid that for mine as it was $350 at the time.

Longtrad

#8 Post by Longtrad »

that foxpro looks like it would be awesome, but i'm not planning on doing enough to justify the cost, I got that little acme disk call, im excited to see how it works, looks like lots of british hunters use them.

there are so dang many little hand calls out there idk whats what or whats good. I'm wondering if I could just play animal calls off my smartphone onto a blue tooth speaker?

Jamesh76

#9 Post by Jamesh76 »

yes, you can play animal calls with blue tooth. or get a small mp3 player and a speaker. Use it only for hunting. There are several sites with free sounds. Unfortunately the fox pro sounds are a different format.

Longtrad

#10 Post by Longtrad »

I got a little disc warbler call, it's not a long range call for sure, It's also not as easy to use hands free as I was hoping, it kind of slides around in your mouth if you try to use it without hand. Now to try it out tomorrow morning and see whats up.

Return to “Campfire”