Ever had one of those days?

Come on in and sit a spell. There's a seat for you around the campfire.
Forum rules
Please keep hunting posts to Traditional Bow Hunting. No canned or high fence hunts or stories allowed. Please be respectful of fellow members and helpful to those with questions. Treat others like you like to be treated. There is a Japanese word that I try and model my life after.
GAMAN: patience..dignity..restraint.
Friends call me Pac

Ever had one of those days?

#1 Post by Friends call me Pac »

I went with 4 other trad guys to a 3d shoot this past Saturday. Man I couldn't hit a wall if I was standing inside a building. After the shoot was over 3 of us went back for another round. We shot from crazy long distance to through nasty tangley stuff to just about anything imagineable. On several targets there was foilage blocking the vitals between us and the target. The distance was maybe between 30 to 70 yards on a few targets that we lined up this way. It was really cool watching the arrow arch over the leaves and pop the target. Now I'm not even suggesting doing this or any of the odd shots we took in an actually hunting situation but for fun I really enjoyed the challenge.

Just shooting for fun increased my accuracy quite a bit. I hear people say don't take a score card but with this being my 3rd shoot I kind of use my card as a gauge on how I'm shooting. I guess during the next shoot I need to relax more and remember it is suppose to be fun.
USAF Retired 1985-2005

Tradaholic since 2008 and getting worse

AWPForester

Re: Ever had one of those days?

#2 Post by AWPForester »

Had some days that accuracy was definately less than desired. I also shoot a lot of shots like this just to try and see if I have the mental focus nessecary to make those shots. And yes it is very cool to watch the arrow arch of stuff and go into the boiler room.

South MS Bowhunter

#3 Post by South MS Bowhunter »

:roll: Pac, ahhmm I have weeks and months like that.
"The Lord is My shepherd I shall not want...."

OBXarcher

#4 Post by OBXarcher »

Yep, last night.

I got an ACS in the mail to try out. It shoots fine but not sure where my head was. I was all over the place.

Frustrating to say the least.

Friends call me Pac

#5 Post by Friends call me Pac »

I lost 3 arrows under the leaves or they are still on their way to the moon. Not sure which but it's one or the other. At a dollar each I can afford the loss but dang it I just made them a few days before and hated to see them go.

See what I mean about bad shooting? My arrows have the chartruese tracers. At least I hit this target.

Even changed out arrows to try to improve my mojo

It did work to some degree. At least they grouped well behind the traget in the bushes.

My best guess as to why I shot so poorly is because all the other guys are in their early 20's, good shape and I had to try to keep up with them. Hard to shoot straight when you are out of breath trying to keep up with the young guns. Yea that's it and I'm sticking to it.

USAF Retired 1985-2005

Tradaholic since 2008 and getting worse

Lungbuster

#6 Post by Lungbuster »

Oh yea, had plenty of days like that.

TradRat

#7 Post by TradRat »

Mines just about every other day. One day I'll shoot great, the next, I'm all over the neighborhood! Think I'll start skipping a day between shooting sessions. :roll:
"It is not the end result but, the lessons and the journey of the hunt that count!" TW Lanoy

Red Tailed Hawk

#8 Post by Red Tailed Hawk »

Ive had days and weeks like that Pac.
I'm drinking from a saucer 'cause my cup has overflowed.

wtpops

#9 Post by wtpops »

Ive never had a day like that. :mrgreen: Jees i almost slaped myself for that one and that lighting just missed me.
I have six children, ten grandchildren and a few pennies in my pocket. I am far richer than most men.

Ripforce

#10 Post by Ripforce »

Last year was first year of shooting 3Ds in competition, bigest sssue I had was shooting to fast and getting out of sync, I shot some really good scores and a couple of medocre ones as well! This year I am a lot more relaxed I make sure I fololw my pre-shot routine to a tee and take my time on every target! What a differance a year makes!
Bama Royal Longbow
Bama Hunter Longbow
Bama 60in Expedition R/D
Bear Polar Recurve 66in 48@28 #10BJ135
"Rise and Rise again Till Lambs become Lions"

Return to “Campfire”