People that have been cut by knives that I have sharpened.

Come on in and sit a spell. There's a seat for you around the campfire.
Forum rules
Please keep hunting posts to Traditional Bow Hunting. No canned or high fence hunts or stories allowed. Please be respectful of fellow members and helpful to those with questions. Treat others like you like to be treated. There is a Japanese word that I try and model my life after.
GAMAN: patience..dignity..restraint.
Graps

People that have been cut by knives that I have sharpened.

#1 Post by Graps »

I thought I would share with you the stories of people that have been wounded by knives that I have sharpened.
At an early age I learned to sharpen a knife very well, even before I was in the BOY Scouts.
When I started hunting I would use my mother’s paring knife to dress out rabbits and squirrels.
I would sharpen the knife so I could cut the meat well and when I was done, I would wash it off and put it away. After the second time that my mom split her thumb, needing stitches, my dad decided that I needed my own knife for dressing game. So he got me a Western Cutlery antler handle with a three inch blade. That was a very handy little knife for the task.
All was well, until I washed the knife and laid it on the back of the kitchen sink at which time my mom just cleaned up a bunch of vegetables and turned on the garbage disposal.
That knife vibrated off the back of the sink, landed handle first in the garbage disposal with the razor sharp blade spinning like a Samurai warrior and my mom grabbed quick to get it out.
Now my dad was very impressed with the fact that she reached in the disposal while running. She managed to shut it off and get my knife out, and there was very little damage to the bolster.
My dad took her to emergency and I don’t have any idea how many stitches she had but they were all over her fingers. Two here three in that spot, one here, well you get the idea.
So now for the list of victims.
In the Boy Scouts I gained a reputation for being the official blade sharpener for the adult leaders. On this one campout, I had sharpened a machete for one of the leaders and a bayonet for another one.
While we were clearing some brush the leader with the machete swatted a mosquito on his lower right leg and then a minute later had a tickling on his leg. He had cut clear to the bone and had to be taken to the hospital.
A few hours later he was just getting back to camp and the other leader needed a piece of rope so he used his bayonet to cut some off from a tent rope. As he was bent over, he cut the rope and the blade cut across the top of his foot, cutting threw his moccasin and the tendons of the top of his foot.
So as the years go by, I start making knives. My mom and dad stopped buy my house and I show my dad a small two inch fixed blade that I had just made. He looks at it and my mom wants to see it. As she is looking at it she drops it, stabbing half of the blade in her ankle just between the bone and the Achilles tendon. At which point my dad looked at me and said “I’m not surprised.”
So the next victim. I’m working at a tool shop and one of the engineers comes up to me and said he heard I could sharpen a knife well. And he wanted me to sharpen a folding hunter for him, and I asked him how sharp he wanted it and he said as sharp as I could get it.
Now it was the day before Gun season and he was going to the airport right after work to fly to the UP of Michigan.
In the late afternoon he came to me and wondered if it was done yet. And I opened the knife and shaved some hair off my arm. He grabbed the knife and tried to do the same thing. He cut a one inch patch of hide about five inches long, flopped over like a wood chip from a wood plane and my knees went weak. I told him that he didn’t have to push that hard.
So after he got out of the emergency room he got on the plane.
Another time a production foreman asked me to sharpen his knife and the next day he told me he had stitches in the palm of his hand. He was at a car dealer waiting for some paperwork and he decided to see if he could get the battery out of his remote lock. He took the knife and was prying the remote apart when he slipped and stabbed his other hand.
Another time I was sharpening a knife for my boss when another manager came in and saw what I was doing and asked me to sharpen his knife. So I did. I handed it back to him and he held it cutting edge up and slid his thumb the full length of the blade.
Like my boss said “You can’t fix stupid.”
Well I guess I should tell on myself.
This one time I was fly fishing and I had a small little pocket knife and I had just tied on a new fly. I was standing on a small raft with waves rocking it. I took the small one inch thin blade, cut the tag end of the fishing line and closed the blade up on my hip. Only the blade didn’t close up. I pushed the full length of that little blade right into my hip bone and it wasn’t easy to pull back out.

So who would like me to sharpen there knife for them? :twisted:
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Captainkirk
Site Admin

Re: People that have been cut by knives that I have sharpene

#2 Post by Captainkirk »

Dang! You are one DANGEROUS feller, Dale! Deer don't stand a chance with a broadhead you've sharpened!
Aim small, miss small!

Graps

#3 Post by Graps »

WELL I STILL HAFTA GET IT IN THE RIGHT SPOT.
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

stumper

#4 Post by stumper »

Me!!
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Graps

Re: People that have been cut by knives that I have sharpened.

#5 Post by Graps »

TTT

Elkman
Site Admin

#6 Post by Elkman »

Not yet. I had mine on every hunt. I just didn't get a chance to use it.
Calling Elk - Awesome! !€

Nock

#7 Post by Nock »

If I was closer I’d take you up. Thanks for the bump.
Happiness is a tight chain!

Greg Felty

#8 Post by Greg Felty »

When I sharpen mine I can't cut hot butter with it.I wish i could get them that sharp Dale.
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

Nock

#9 Post by Nock »

I’m ok but could be better. Lot depends on the knife.
Happiness is a tight chain!

Grizzly

#10 Post by Grizzly »

Thanks Dale. I really enjoyed that. Hard to describe how you feel reading it. One minute your laughing the next you're all tightened up. I doubt I get mine anywhere near as sharp as you do, but at least my family has all learned to be careful with them. My wife, like your Mom, finally told me not to get her paring knives so sharp. Too hard on their thumbs, the way they use them. When I moved into her kitchen, I understood why.

I''m constantly nicking myself in the kitchen. It's those little cuts that you just barely touch yourself with. Sometimes they don't draw blood, but usually they do. Rather than dye the food red, I go find a band aid. I think most of my fingers have scars across the top from when I was a kid chopping tops on car models or trimming parts, or whittling one out of a block of wood ---- with a dull pocket knife.

I had a Puma White Hunter in VN, simply because I couldn't find something else to buy. I'd keep it sharp on guard duty in the evenings. One day they asked me to cut open all the bags on a few cases of chicken that had spoiled and pitch it in the river by our compound so the locals wouldn't fish it our of our garbage and get sick. I started moving faster and faster with that Puma until inevitably, one time I didn't get my thumb out of the way in time. I left a nice blood trail all the way to the medics. They put the first butterfly bandage on it that I'd ever seen. I said, no stitches???? It worked.

A properly sharpened machete is an amazing tool. I file and stone mine to a working edge, but a long time ago, I took one into the shop that maintained all the tools for a Zinc mine in Northern NJ. The blacksmith put it on his large water cooled rotating wheel and began to sharpen it. Out in the field, I tried it out on a 1 1/2 to 2" sapling and saw it swing through it with one cut. So a few years later in VN, when we thought we might be over run, I went for a machete that I could lay my hands on. I started touching up that edge and carried it for a while. I have about 4 now, and you have to be careful swinging them.

I think I'd rate Dales post here right up at the top of all posts. Is there a part 2, or a continuing saga you might share someday?
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

Return to “Campfire”