Smoke cover?

Come on in and sit a spell. There's a seat for you around the campfire.
Forum rules
Please keep hunting posts to Traditional Bow Hunting. No canned or high fence hunts or stories allowed. Please be respectful of fellow members and helpful to those with questions. Treat others like you like to be treated. There is a Japanese word that I try and model my life after.
GAMAN: patience..dignity..restraint.
Graps

Smoke cover?

#1 Post by Graps »

I have used smoke to de stink my clothes before hunting and I was just wondering, why wouldn't a sage incense work good in a blind for a cover sent?
I have had a small fire before and deer came in down wind of me with no alarm at all.
I'm thinking of trying this sometime. I don't know why it wouldn't work.
Have any of you tried anything like that?
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Shadowhntr

Re: Smoke cover?

#2 Post by Shadowhntr »

Sorry graps I haven't. I simply rely on using the wind to my advantage....even though unstable winds plauge me at times like most everyone else.
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#3 Post by Captainkirk »

Give it a shot. What do you have to lose?
Aim small, miss small!

Jamesh76

#4 Post by Jamesh76 »

I'm not sure. I don't know why you would want to add additional odor while hunting. Not sure if a deer has a nose like a dog or not. However, I assume they would smell human scent, or what not and it not actually cover anything up. Just add to it. Always safer hunting the wind if you can.

Jose

#5 Post by Jose »

I always try to use the wind in my favor too. I do have a friend from Kentucky who says his cousins kill nice ones every year and that is the morning after a big camp fire with refreshments. Maybe they know something I don't.....

Graps

#6 Post by Graps »

Well it will be over nine months now before I can try it.
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#7 Post by Captainkirk »

A guy whose property I used to gun hunt would go out on stand in greasy, gasoline-smelling coveralls each season while me and his son-in-law would be avoiding him like the plague and dousing ourselves in scent-killer. Yet, year after year he would tease us then put up or shut up by shooting a big fat doe or two. His reasoning? He lived on the property and said the deer would just stand and watch him drive by on the tractor all summer long...they were smells they were used to and accustomed to and therefore not alarming. Don't know if here's any truth to that but he took some mighty big deer.
Aim small, miss small!

Return to “Campfire”