11pm and you can't sleep so.....

Come on in and sit a spell. There's a seat for you around the campfire.
Forum rules
Please keep hunting posts to Traditional Bow Hunting. No canned or high fence hunts or stories allowed. Please be respectful of fellow members and helpful to those with questions. Treat others like you like to be treated. There is a Japanese word that I try and model my life after.
GAMAN: patience..dignity..restraint.
Longbowfanatic

Re: 11pm and you can't sleep so.....

#16 Post by Longbowfanatic »

Jamesh76 wrote:Took quite a while to get these close to straight. Use friction method and my hands are shot. Will see how straight they stay tomorrow before I put some walnut stain on them. A few will likely have to.be straightened again, as they had a decent creek in them. A little grain run out in a few, but they will be just fine for target practice. Still need to weigh them and see how close they are in weight. Will use a pink/red color Bjorn knock and at least 2 of the 3 feathers will be black, maybe 1 green. Havent decided if I will just cap spray them or spray and crest. I.do most of it in the garage which is about 60 degree.....
They sound like they're going to be good looking arras. Make sure you post some pics when you get them done.

Jamesh76

#17 Post by Jamesh76 »

They will be quite simple. Looked through material last night. Going to be 3 fletch natural Turkey with a Flo green bohning nock most likely. No cap spray.

Jamesh76

#18 Post by Jamesh76 »

I may........ Just try out and see if I can get some plastic 5" vanes to work on a few of these. I have a ton of them. Would just use flech tape so i could remove easily if the dont work. Still thinking about the cap spray with no cresting.

Graps

#19 Post by Graps »

I don't know why veins wouldn't work just fine.
The only downside with veins is, they are less forgiving of a bad release.
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

stumper

#20 Post by stumper »

I actually have a few hundred Vains I’ve been inching to try out because of how wet Louisiana weather is. I think you’ve inspired me to give them a go.
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#21 Post by Captainkirk »

Vanes have no detrimental effect if shooting off an elevated rest (Bear Weatherest, etc). Some folks have complained about consistency if shooting off the shelf (vanes do not 'get out of the way' like feathers) but you could probably four-fletch 75 X 105 and experience zero issues.
Aim small, miss small!

Return to “Campfire”