Tuning frustration

Come on in and sit a spell. There's a seat for you around the campfire.
Forum rules
Please keep hunting posts to Traditional Bow Hunting. No canned or high fence hunts or stories allowed. Please be respectful of fellow members and helpful to those with questions. Treat others like you like to be treated. There is a Japanese word that I try and model my life after.
GAMAN: patience..dignity..restraint.
stumper

Re: Tuning frustration

#16 Post by stumper »

let me guess, you lash a boulder onto the end to achieve the correct dynamic spine.
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Graps

#17 Post by Graps »

Used to shoot heavy bows until just a couple of years ago.
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#18 Post by Captainkirk »

Flemish Dave wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:51 pm
Longtrad wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:25 pm What about getting some 75/80 shafts?
I am always puzzled with how high the shafts you all use. I have 40 to 45 pound bows and use 40 to 45 pound shafts. Am I the only one with shafts this light??
Nope. I shoot the same out of my 45's, Dave.
Aim small, miss small!

Graps

#19 Post by Graps »

Don't worry guys, this old archer has several tricks up his sleeve.
And remember, there's not been a horse that could never be rode, and there's not been a cowboy that couldn't be throwed.
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#20 Post by Captainkirk »

Graps wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:23 pm Don't worry guys, this old archer has several tricks up his sleeve.
And remember, there's not been a horse that could never be rode, and there's not been a cowboy that couldn't be throwed.
I see a conflict of interest there. :lol:
Aim small, miss small!

Shadowhntr

#21 Post by Shadowhntr »

Flemish Dave wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:51 pm
Longtrad wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:25 pm What about getting some 75/80 shafts?
I am always puzzled with how high the shafts you all use. I have 40 to 45 pound bows and use 40 to 45 pound shafts. Am I the only one with shafts this light??
Dave it all depends on spine needs. Heavier heads, the shaft lengths, amount of cut on the bows riser, preferred brace height and bow weights, and believe it or not just plain personal shooting habits/form all can make things vary in shaft spine needs by a bunch.

For a 45 lb bow, 28 inch shaft, I need a 70-75 or 75-80 depending on which set up I chose but my head is 300+ grains. And mind You, this bow isn't even cut to center and is well before it. The same set up on a center cut or beyond center may well require an 80 or 90 lb spine.

Those spine numbers listed on shafts, are based off of 125 gr heads at 28" for center cut bows. So a 45lb bow at 28" with a center cut and 125gr head would indeed shoot around a 45lb spine shaft well.....thats in theory and a generalization, but would hold true in large part.... only testing would let you know for sure though.
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Graps

#22 Post by Graps »

:D The silencers on the D-97 did the trick.

Longtrad

#23 Post by Longtrad »

That brought em in line eh? Good to hear. What's the weight on those silencers?

Graps

#24 Post by Graps »

I don't know the weight but I think it just slows the string down a slight bit.

stumper

#25 Post by stumper »

Graps wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:32 pm I don't know the weight but I think it just slows the string down a slight bit.
glad to hear it!
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Return to “Campfire”