Lets all help Arcuites get going.

Come on in and sit a spell. There's a seat for you around the campfire.
Forum rules
Please keep hunting posts to Traditional Bow Hunting. No canned or high fence hunts or stories allowed. Please be respectful of fellow members and helpful to those with questions. Treat others like you like to be treated. There is a Japanese word that I try and model my life after.
GAMAN: patience..dignity..restraint.
Graps

Lets all help Arcuites get going.

#1 Post by Graps »

Arcuites is needing lots of help.
I'm starting this thread in hopes that he can come here and ask questions.
WECAN DO THIS! :D
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Arcuites

Re: Lets all help Arcuites get going.

#2 Post by Arcuites »

"Lots" is an understatement ! Thanks Graps. You have been kind (along with many others on this forum) to help with what are basic questions I know... I'm down to arrows which is one of the most important. Graps has given me some tips on using cardboard for draw to determine average draw length. Good Stuff. So, first to find a long arrow. Not seeing these in stores. Anyone have a good source for this? I'm looking at 500 spine for my bow (60" - 40#@28") So once I determine my proper length, then comes "cutting", and then fitting my practice points. Any suggestions there (100 grain?) Also, tools for cutting (hacksaw seems so crude). Epoxy? What else am I missing in this process. For sure want to use carbons...at least to begin. What a handful I've become! Before I shoot the first arrow. I want to be set with proper equipment (getting there), as well as form to follow. Gracious to all !

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#3 Post by Captainkirk »

If you are going to start with carbons, I might suggest you find a pro shop near you to purchase from? Sure, you might pay a little more, but in general, if you buy from them they will cut to length for you with the proper saw. (BTW carbon dust should not be inhaled) You can buy a cheap mini chop saw from Harbor Freight for around $45.00 and replace the blade with a carbide cutoff (zip) wheel, but one thing at a time...the Bass Pro I go to will trim to length and glue in your inserts free if you buy the arrows. Pretty good deal, considering.
I would suggest starting out with 125 grain field points, I think 100s will be too light. You want you arrow to be front of center (FOC) on the balance; that is, when you measure total shaft length from nock V to insert, you want the balance point to be in front of the centerline (eg on a 30" shaft, center would be 15"...you want the balance point to be 14" or less FOC)
I'm thinking on a 40# bow at 29" DL, 500's might be a tad light. You might want to start with 400's but I'm not big into carbons so some of you carbon gurus throw in here.

BTW...nice touch, Graps! I should have thought of this myself... :oops:
Aim small, miss small!

Arcuites

#4 Post by Arcuites »

I have a Bass Pro Shop here in Nashville. Why didn't I think of that! That seems a logical next step, especially if they cut and install. Great feedback Kirk as always. 125 also makes sense to me. Spine info great as well. In looking at these arrows and suggested spine on manufactures boxes for my bow specs, it varies from 350 - 500 which has confused me. Calling all carbon users, please do chime in....
In one thread, I've learned more info in 30 minutes, than from 3 associates at 3 stores, over 3 hours today. Ugh.... Thanks Again.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#5 Post by Captainkirk »

That's why we're here, my friend. To help.
Most of the guys here (myself included) have found their bows seem to prefer heavier arrows than recommended from the spine charts. Speaking of spine charts, have you seen this link on the 3Rivers site?

https://www.3riversarchery.com/pdf/ArrowCharts.pdf

According to this, with 125gr FP's you would be wanting 400 spine carbon shafts at 29"...because that extra inch of draw length will move you up to around 43-44# of DW (draw weight)
Aim small, miss small!

Graps

#6 Post by Graps »

The numbers refer to how stiff the shaft is it is measured with the shaft suspended between two points that are 26" apart and a 2# weight is hung in the center.
So a 500 shaft will deflect .500" . At least that is how standard arrow shafts are done. I'm not sure but carbons might be a different center point and hanging weight.
But you get the idea of what the numbers refer too. so 350 shaft will be stiffer than a 500.
Wood arrows are measured the same way except they are marked in pounds of draw weight. But that can get confusing too.
The thing is, the spine weight is measured between the 26" distance and you are shooting a 30" arrow so @ 40# you might need a 65-70# arrow. :o
Yep, that's right, but don't get hung up with numbers, each bow setup can be different.
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#7 Post by Captainkirk »

Wood arrows are measured at center of 26"

Carbon/Aluminum are measured at center of 28"
Aim small, miss small!

Elkman
Site Admin

#8 Post by Elkman »

It has been my experience with Carbon arrows, that they are a bit more forgiving with small changes in tip weights. If you pick something like the 400s, for example, you might be able to move up or down in tip weight without having to change shafts.
Captainkirk wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 7:15 pm I would suggest starting out with 125 grain field points, I think 100s will be too light. You want you arrow to be front of center (FOC) on the balance; that is, when you measure total shaft length from nock V to insert, you want the balance point to be in front of the centerline (eg on a 30" shaft, center would be 15"...you want the balance point to be 14" or less FOC)
I agree with Kirk! Some guys are going way beyond that.
But for now let's just keep it simple.

One warning about the Carbon shafts!
A 400 from one manufacturer may not be the same as a 400 from another! !

So make sure you go off the chart for that particular manufacturer.
Calling Elk - Awesome! !€

Shadowhntr

#9 Post by Shadowhntr »

Hmmmmm......I don't mean to go against the grain, but I'm shooting a 500 carbon at 31 inches with a Toelke and it tuned out with well over 300gr tips. I think 500 is going to be stiff at 29" with 125gr heads, but it's possible I guess.
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#10 Post by Carpdaddy »

Since different bows do different things I personally would recommend a test kit. You can order these from places like 3rivers and others. Funny how even those of us who have been at this for a good while will have such varied recommendations, so you got to do some trial and error. For example; I am currently practicing with a 40# bow, my arrows are 29”, with 175 & 200 grain tips. My arrows fly well and are a 600 spine, much weaker than the 400 Captain recommended. Not that he is wrong, it depends on the bow and possibly even the shooter. A bow with the arrow shelf cut to or past center can get by with a stiffer spine than one that is not. I can get by with and hunt with a 500 spine but use more weight up front which weakens the spine or makes it deflect more. For me a 400 spine with 125 grain up front is far too stiff. So it’s not a one size fits all game, get some different spines and tip weights and test drive them. Don’t remember where you
live but if you got any Trad buddies around I’m sure they would dig through their bucket and donate you a few to try. Or even some folks here that could probably mail you a few old ones. Sorry if this makes it more confusing!
Opps; me and Shadowhntr posted at same time. Lol

Return to “Campfire”