Lets all help Arcuites get going.

Come on in and sit a spell. There's a seat for you around the campfire.
Forum rules
Please keep hunting posts to Traditional Bow Hunting. No canned or high fence hunts or stories allowed. Please be respectful of fellow members and helpful to those with questions. Treat others like you like to be treated. There is a Japanese word that I try and model my life after.
GAMAN: patience..dignity..restraint.
Elkman
Site Admin

Re: Lets all help Arcuites get going.

#16 Post by Elkman »

One more thing.
Sometimes an archery shop, Bass Pro, Sportsmans or whom ever, may have a small range setup and lots of misc arrows that you can try.
I have done that at Cabela's before and at my local shop before they shut down.
Calling Elk - Awesome! !€

Arcuites

#17 Post by Arcuites »

UPDATE: Per Kirks suggestion, went to Bass Pro Shop today, and was amazed at the help and support. Gentleman ran this section "Billy" for over 15 years for them, and has been a bow hunter since the early 70's. Extremely knowledgeable, and pretty much mimicked everything that I've heard on this board. He sized me, ran through the string/unstringing process, nocked, went through arrows (1/2 Dozen 4" feather, carbon X3 Hunter, 340 spine), cut with inserts installed, and 5/16,125 grain field tips.
Also purchased a bow square for any movement in string and showed me how to twist to bring back in line. Purchased a Black Out 4 sided target. Forgot the hip quiver, but maybe next time. Arm guard, silencers, and glove (check check check) It looks like I'm ready to begin this journey now. Anything I'm missing?
Question: He really loved the bow, and said it's a sweet shooter. With my draw should put me around 44#. Billy said I should de-string every night in order to keep the limbs fresh. Is this normal practice, or just for older bows?
Elkman: Yes they do have an operating range which is nice !

Graps

#18 Post by Graps »

Very good. Thanks for keeping us posted. :D
Look out everybody, we got another trad guy. 8-)
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Arcuites

#19 Post by Arcuites »

Thanks again all! Just great information. All these varying opinions actually is iron sharpening iron in terms of learning the process. Hope I didn't go completely off the reservation, but ended up going with 340 spine after Billy strung and looked over and tested the bow. It was his opinion, because of the lower speeds of release on this bow, the "hit" or "push" to make it through higher density (hide, bone..) would serve me well. Or something to this effect. I reckon I could also buy 400's+ and do some testing as well.

Graps

#20 Post by Graps »

Use what tunes in for you, the reference charts are just a starting place.
How did it shoot with that arrow?
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Arcuites

#21 Post by Arcuites »

I will find out when I have the courage to go out there and shoot my first arrow. "Billy" liked it. Studying some more form over the next 24 hours, and then I'll start at 40 yards and see how it's flies.... KIDDING !! ! I'll start at getting proficient at 7-10 yards, and go from there......

Arcuites

#22 Post by Arcuites »

Ok, I got antsy, and went out and pulled off twenty shots at 10 yards. My grouping were fairly tight in the early shots of 3 arrow each, but all going "Left" and usually a bit high. After about 21, my arm was getting fatigued, which I hope is natural at this stage.... Having shot a compound, I'm wanting to hold on anchor point and target probably longer than I should? I'm hoping with practice it will become for fluid in one motion.

Arcuites

#23 Post by Arcuites »

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_35b.jpeg
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_35b.jpeg (44.55 KiB) Viewed 72 times
The attachment UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_35b.jpeg is no longer available

stumper

#24 Post by stumper »

You’re doing great. Keep up the practice and yes fatigue is natural. You are using muscles you don’t use that often. Consistency is key. But ultimately archery is about what works for you. Everybody is different. What bow do you have again? What are it’s stats??
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Arcuites

#25 Post by Arcuites »

Bear "Bearcat" 60" 40# @ 28". Drawing roughly 30" plus so figure it's closer to 44#. Certainly not like doing #50 lifts to chest with Russian kettle bell. Started to quiver on pull backs around shot 15. Patience patience patience....

Return to “Campfire”