I’m Tired

Come on in and sit a spell. There's a seat for you around the campfire.
Forum rules
Please keep hunting posts to Traditional Bow Hunting. No canned or high fence hunts or stories allowed. Please be respectful of fellow members and helpful to those with questions. Treat others like you like to be treated. There is a Japanese word that I try and model my life after.
GAMAN: patience..dignity..restraint.
stumper

I’m Tired

#1 Post by stumper »

I’m tired of double vision, tired of estimating distance. I’m good at it sure, but then again sometimes I’m not. I just want to look at my target and shoot. So today I did, today I hit the reset button. I took my slick stick to the backyard because it was already strung and I can be lazy at times and I started looking and flinging arrows. Pure instinct shooting. And yes some of my shots sucked, but some were epic! And that feeling when you imagine and picture an arrow smacking a single point and it does, man there is nothing like it.

This season I’m gonna pick my bow for the season and start practicing only with that bow (probably my widow maker) and do nothing but instinct shooting. That’s my goal. No more gapping, no more double vision, just look and shoot. Pic attatched is a 15 yard group and was aiming for a small hole that the arrow closest to riser actually hit.
Attachments
0DC11FCE-C92B-47D8-8643-3F7779920DFA.jpeg
0DC11FCE-C92B-47D8-8643-3F7779920DFA.jpeg (248.3 KiB) Viewed 186 times
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Graps

Re: I’m Tired

#2 Post by Graps »

:D Glad to see another instinct shooter.
Good job. 8-)
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Greg Felty

#3 Post by Greg Felty »

Welcome to the club. Good luck.
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#4 Post by Carpdaddy »

I’m just not sharp enough to figure it out any other way. Yes I have tried, never worked for me, but works well for others.

stumper

#5 Post by stumper »

I hear ya Tony. I am really gonna give it a go. I would love to get into aerial archery and that is all instinctive, so I am gonna give it a whole season and evaluate. I can already hit a pie plate at 20, so we are good to go.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#6 Post by Captainkirk »

Now you know why I gave up gapping after I was doing so good with it.
It took a little time to get the instinctive down and my groups aren't as tight as with a fixed gap, but oh...the freedom!
Aim small, miss small!

stumper

#7 Post by stumper »

Yeah relaxing. I was getting really really good at gap but the biggest thing that bothered me was that you really don’t get to see the impact. I would use the arrow like a sight and the target would be blurry. Now I am watching the arrow flight and impact Which is a lot of fun.

Shadowhntr

#8 Post by Shadowhntr »

There are several nails hit smack on the head in prior post above!

Instinctive shooting is largely based on your mind recognizing it's something you've already done in the past. For instance the first time you threw a baseball from 3rd to 1st, its likely to have went high, low, wide.... and the next several throws might still have been off but by a smaller degree. After making the throw a number of times, it started going smack to the glove. The longer you experienced that throw the less mistakes you would make. Now, coach put you in outfield and you gotta throw from fence to cutoff....again, because it's different, a longer throw this time, its no or low experience for the mind to grip. So in the dirt, over the head, wide, is going to happen. The more you make that and similar throws, the more on target you'll be as the mind learns what your body should do. Soon you make the throws adequately without thinking, aiming, or second guessing from any reasonable distance required. 100% instinct.
Instinctive shooting uses much the same basis, and "having done that before" hones the "mind to body" communication. That's why form is soooooooo important. If we are flailing about in sloppy form doing something different each shot, the mind can never really base the actions off anything solid and quickly becomes stumped and confused with no way to advance. With consistent form, the mind can then make those adjustments rather easily, as easily as it did when you learned to throw a baseball hard and accurate. Instinctive shooting is an easy BREEZE......its consistent form that's a bear to master. Once form is under control, instinctively shooting comes as naturally as throwing.
Once you give the mind something to hold on to, at various yardage by shooting lots of arrows from a steady position, start moving around at unknown yardage to shoot. One arrow per stop through out your hunting distance. For instance one arrow at 5, then 20, then 12, then 25, then 8 and so on. It will help develop and hone the trust of your instincts. Remember, give your mind something to base it off of , having done it before. Hunting shots happen at all distances. The more you practice this, the better you get at it. Then when hunting, you won't even think about distance.
And yes,,,,,there is a huge advantage and thrill, actually seeing the arrow impact both on target and prey.
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

stumper

#9 Post by stumper »

figured youd be commenting on this shadow.

Arcuites

#10 Post by Arcuites »

Congrats Dave, and great information Shadow. I'm going to start experimenting with varying distance per your suggestion.

Return to “Campfire”