A sad day indeed!

Come on in and sit a spell. There's a seat for you around the campfire.
Forum rules
Please keep hunting posts to Traditional Bow Hunting. No canned or high fence hunts or stories allowed. Please be respectful of fellow members and helpful to those with questions. Treat others like you like to be treated. There is a Japanese word that I try and model my life after.
GAMAN: patience..dignity..restraint.
Shadowhntr

Re: A sad day indeed!

#11 Post by Shadowhntr »

Ugh....sorry Tony I know you really liked that bow.
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Roadsnakes

#12 Post by Roadsnakes »

Just curious.................

What kind of bow is that , and how old is it?

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#13 Post by Carpdaddy »

It’s a Carp bow, I build my own, I guess it’s been near two years ago. I probably shouldn’t leave it hanging out in my hot garage strung all the time, gets quite hot out there. I’ll take it since it’s my first one to do that out of many built. The build along is on this site under bowyers section.

Graps

#14 Post by Graps »

Kinda hurts even more when its one of your own built bows... :cry:
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#15 Post by Captainkirk »

Tony, I hadn't seen a new bow build thread. Did you start one? (Hint: DON'T USE PHOTOBUCKET!!!)
Aim small, miss small!

Longtrad

#16 Post by Longtrad »

Just thinking out loud here, but I recently read a post onLW about how smooth on had some quality control issues with their glue batches a while back, I'm no bowyer, and have never had any hands on expirence with smooth on epoxy, but it might be something for you to think about.

that being said your longer bow is a real looker IMO, you did a top notch job pairing those riser woods.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#17 Post by Carpdaddy »

Thanks Clay. The pairing was just a lucky guess. I bought the wormy piece of Marblewood from the scrapben in a woodcraft store and had the Rosewood left over from another bow. Won the brown glass in a drawing so had to put something together. :ugeek: I can’t blame the glue since two other bows came from the same can and are still shooting. This was the only one that hung in my hot garage strung all the time. I have had repair visions for it but don’t have time now.

Caddo

#18 Post by Caddo »

Does the crack go al the way trough to the other side? I'm no bowyer, but if it doesn't, I'd try to get some CA glue in the crack and give it a go. If it doesn't work, nothing lost. If it does, you win! JMHO

LD

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#19 Post by Carpdaddy »

Thanks Caddo, I have actually fixed a riser for a friend with the same problem, and I’m sure I could this one. But whenever at full draw I would probably be thinking about it in the back of my mind! This way I have an excuse to build another bow!

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#20 Post by Carpdaddy »

Okay; am I jinxed this year or have gremlins sneaking around my garage? Yesterday I went out to fling a few arrows and to test drive my new string more. Upon release of my very first shot it sounded like a dry fire and bow explosion! After gaining my composure and calming down a bit I began to inspect or actually look for a broken limb or ???! What happened I do not know, seems strange that I have built bows for all these years with no issues and now suddenly bam! After close inspection I found nothing but a tip overlay that had came off. Still don’t know what or how but my wash woman may know something went wrong! :oops: :oops: Look close and you will see no overlay on top limb.
Attachments
1627F306-2093-4AB8-A666-35DDC42D840B.jpeg
1627F306-2093-4AB8-A666-35DDC42D840B.jpeg (214.32 KiB) Viewed 61 times

Return to “Campfire”