Need a shave? How about a laugh?

Come on in and sit a spell. There's a seat for you around the campfire.
Forum rules
Please keep hunting posts to Traditional Bow Hunting. No canned or high fence hunts or stories allowed. Please be respectful of fellow members and helpful to those with questions. Treat others like you like to be treated. There is a Japanese word that I try and model my life after.
GAMAN: patience..dignity..restraint.
Grizzly

Need a shave? How about a laugh?

#1 Post by Grizzly »

Looks like the kids must have got into my Aldi's razor blades because when I needed a new one to trim round my beard, none could be found. I looked around the medicine cabinet to see what was there. I found an old double edge safety? razor from eons ago, a straight razor I only use for trimming things not on my face or neck and an old Gillette Fusion Proglide with a really old blade in it. I ordered some blades for it ($22.97 for 8, w/free shipping) and then looked in on what my wife was using to see if I could order some for her. Well, while researching and doing a vs with her Schick Hydo 5 (which was probably once mine) I came upon this shaving forum. You think archery and blackpowder guys fuss over traditional, these guys are just as bad.

Anyway, I started reading this thread and before it was 1/2 way through, the whole house wondered what I was laughing so hard at. Anyone for treating their blades with WD-40 before putting them away? While we're at it, what is your favorite shaving tool and brand?

https://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/ ... ave.53341/
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

Re: Need a shave? How about a laugh?

#2 Post by Captainkirk »

LOL... funny stuff there!
When I'm running my usual late fall/winter beard I normally just shave the neck and cheek area and pretty much anything works in a pinch. I keep the actual beard trimmed short with a beard trimmer set at #2. In the spring and summer when I ditch the "fur face", it becomes a far more serious issue as bad blades draw blood...enough to make a vampire giddy. Sorry, hate to say it, but only Gillette will do, despite the highway robbery boutique prices. Aldi throw-aways leave me a bloody mess.
Aim small, miss small!

Longtrad

#3 Post by Longtrad »

Those straight razor shaving guys are crazy. Lots of odd hobbies out there.

i like the dollar shave club so I don't have to worry about any of That stuff

Grizzly

#4 Post by Grizzly »

I probably wasted my money on those fancy blade refills, cause all I do is trim the cheeks and neck also. Been that way since the 80"s. The wife will probably wind up with them and if not, they may last me years. That's why the Aldi's blades worked ok. There really isn't that much to trim. I remember bleeding back before the beard. There is no way i'd use some of that old stuff again. As I was looking around their forum, someone had linked to an old rotary blade shaver with a coil spring blade inside that you fed out as you needed fresh steel. I tried it once in the 60's. You never could tell when it was turning or not. Really was a waste, I thought. I think some of those guys are just collectors and others have a Samurai fetish or something.
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

Graps

#5 Post by Graps »

There seems to be finatics in every hoby.
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Shadowhntr

#6 Post by Shadowhntr »

Lol...too funny!

Shave? What do you mean, shave????? :lol:

I'll admit....I've done the crazy so many times I cant count. Dad use to prefer a straight edge...had 2 of them...one with a guard and one without. I hadn't been shaving a year and started using the straight razor with guard. About 6mo later started with the one with no guard at all. Yes I cut myself a few times...lol. I loved them to tell the truth. I shaved exclusively with a straight razor up till I moved out and couldn't talk Dad out of one of his. Since then with the exception of a couple times it's been mainly Saftey Gillette's....when I shave. Mostly I just let it grow wild, then when I cant stand it anymore I'll take the hair clippers to it with no sizing guards. Then I let it go wild again ....over and over. Only Weddings, or Funerals I'll shave anything for. Even the Church folks know I'm a natural wooley booger and love me the same... :D
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Grizzly

#7 Post by Grizzly »

Funny how you forget things. Like the sound of the barber stropping his razor on that leather strap before he takes it to your face and finishes and you breath again. :|

Graps

#8 Post by Graps »

This past weekend while shaving my head, my wife mentioned something about Van Gogh. :shock:
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#9 Post by Captainkirk »

Bet she gave you an earful!
Aim small, miss small!

Return to “Campfire”