Harvest Time Means But One Thing....

Come on in and sit a spell. There's a seat for you around the campfire.
Forum rules
Please keep hunting posts to Traditional Bow Hunting. No canned or high fence hunts or stories allowed. Please be respectful of fellow members and helpful to those with questions. Treat others like you like to be treated. There is a Japanese word that I try and model my life after.
GAMAN: patience..dignity..restraint.
Arcuites

Harvest Time Means But One Thing....

#1 Post by Arcuites »

Love this time of year...I woke up this morning to the sounds of tractors bringing in this years tobacco harvest on the farm adjacent to us. Like clockwork for the last 20 years, the first of many cuts over several months, will be staged and cured "smoked" in the hand crafted pole barns scattered over the acreage. It's been done this way in Chapmansboro for many generations. (Dale Next door is 3rd generation tobacco farmer) If you've ever smelled this sweet sweet smoke wafting through the air, you will never forget it. It's very pleasing to the senses, and always signals that deer hunting season is knocking at the door !

Pixs: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/bci8upiqkuu4 ... 4nR0a?dl=0

Captainkirk
Site Admin

Re: Harvest Time Means But One Thing....

#2 Post by Captainkirk »

Ah, the many faces of fall! Such a time of mixed emotion...relief from the summer heat, insects and heat-burned grass, impending school year for kids, the anticipation of impending hunt seasons, the incredible, cool weather and beautiful color changes...
And on the other side of the coin, we see Ol' Man Winter...still a ways off...slowly ambling down the road with his suitcase full of misery; snow, ice, bitter cold, frozen pipes, dead batteries, road salt...
A bittersweet time, for sure, fall.
Aim small, miss small!

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#3 Post by Carpdaddy »

I was not familiar with this “smoking” until about 6-7 years ago. While passing through the western part of or State on a hunting trip I passed several smoking barns, sure got my curiosity up! I had worked in Tobacco several times when I was younger, just never saw it smoked in our parts. So yep; the season is approaching, time to set up a hunting trip.

Graps

#4 Post by Graps »

Where I live, it's the Apple capital.
While driving this time of year, you see all the different colors of apples on the trees.
Around now you see red, pink, yellow, two toned and in a few weeks, they will start picking.
Apples come in more varieties than you can imagine and when they ripen varies as well. So the harvesting goes on for a few months.
South of here about a hour and a half, is where grapes are everywhere. Rolling fields of vineyards and in the town of Pawpaw, there's two wineries and they give tours and you can learn how they do all the processes.
I remember years ago we went to take the tour at the peak of the harvest.
When we walked in, there was a very strong smell of the grapes being crushed and it was a good smell. But after about a half hour, the smell made you sick to your stomach. I wondered how the workers could ever get used to it.
Yeah, fall is my favourite time of year. The sounds, colors, smells oh, and hunting season. :D
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#5 Post by Captainkirk »

Around this time of year, my pear tree begins dropping hard green pears about the size of a golf ball. When I see them on the ground, I know it won't be long until you start seeing color changes.
BTW, thanks for posting those photos and memories, Doug! That would be a sight to see for sure!
Aim small, miss small!

stumper

#6 Post by stumper »

Still waiting any day. A windy
Rustle will come through the pines and my ears will detect the pressure change. I will close my eyes look to the heavens, breath in deeply through my nose, and thank God that fall is here again. Can’t wait. Any day now.
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Graps

#7 Post by Graps »

:D :D :D
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Longtrad

#8 Post by Longtrad »

lots ands lots of work here, just got done with wheat harvest a couple weeks ago, which is a mad dash, where you have to work 24/7 when conditions are good and pray it doesnt hail out your crop. now its time to get the next crop in the ground as fast as we can.

Grizzly

#9 Post by Grizzly »

I was just thinking I'd better check on the Roma tomatoes outside. They were close the other day.

Flemish Dave reminds me of my Dad, "Still waiting any day. A windy
Rustle will come through the pines and my ears will detect the pressure change. I will close my eyes look to the heavens, breath in deeply through my nose, and thank God that fall is here again. Can’t wait. Any day now."

Out of all the boys, Dad said I was the only one who seemed to have inherited his love and passion for the outdoors and hunting. I sure miss sharing the Fall season with Dad. For that matter, I miss the fishing trips and even his tears when I left for Viet Nam as he must have been remembering his landing at Normandy and hoped I'd never have to go through that. I miss the look on his face when he knew his hunting days were over here on Earth and wanted me to have his favorite Browning Superposed that he saved and skrimpted so hard to buy. I miss how he'd quietly tell me not to tell Mom as a new Remington 40x target rifle came into the house. I miss the excitement in his voice when he told me how a fox jumped three feet in the air and swapped ends up there when an arrow from his recurve landed right between the foxes legs. Fall is full of memories as well as anticipation. Sadly, I'm starting to look at that Browning and wondering who I might pass it on to. I'll be 71 this fall and I'm not sure I'll be hunting, but i know my heart will skip a beat about the same time as Flemish Dave's does.
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

stumper

#10 Post by stumper »

We sure are kindred spirits grizz. Good memories there.

My personal story is a little different. My dad took me shooting a few times but never went hunting with him. My mother always hated guns and so whether was shooting guns or otherwise was pretty rare thing in my house. However we did go fishing a lot and the time with him meant the world to me.

My memories of my dad who is still alive (although I don’t get to see him often) mostly consist of us wood working together in the garage. Our furniture was made by him and he always allowed me to drill some holes hammer some nails just to make me feel like I was helping out. But perhaps my fondest memory or I should say memories is that I was the only boy of three that was an early riser. Id get up every morning from my first day of kindergarten all the way to my last day as a senior in high school and ate breakfast with him while everyone else slept. We’d open the doors to the house and the golf breeze but carry through all of the rooms. I fetch the paper but she would read while I made cinnamon powder coffee. My mom always liked just a few shakes of cinnamon powder in the coffee grounds. And I still drink my coffee like this to this day. Smells like a cup of Christmas and it brings back all those memories. Isn’t it funny how a smell can transport us back?

I suppose my love the outdoors came from summer trips to North Carolina where we would hike in Maggie Valley in the smoky mountains. But the woods, the changing seasons of fall and winter, that is where I feel Gods presence and at peace. That’s my church.

Y’all got me rambling again.
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Return to “Campfire”