String material

Come on in and sit a spell. There's a seat for you around the campfire.
Forum rules
Please keep hunting posts to Traditional Bow Hunting. No canned or high fence hunts or stories allowed. Please be respectful of fellow members and helpful to those with questions. Treat others like you like to be treated. There is a Japanese word that I try and model my life after.
GAMAN: patience..dignity..restraint.
Carpdaddy
Site Admin

String material

#1 Post by Carpdaddy »

I tried my first string made from B55 material yesterday thanks to Dave. I have made and used B50 through the years and have some on hand, just not B55. Also It has been many years since I had tried even B50, I have used D97 only on all my bows. Curiosity finally made me put Dave to work building me a string, he did a very good job on it by the way. First thing I noticed that I had forgotten when using the Dacron material is that it stretches a lot more. Next was the shooting test, all my first shots were low, I am guessing that this is due to speed loss. ?? Don’t really know if it’s actually slower or not, my mind says so. Also my weak mind soon adjusted and I began shoot better. The best suprise was how much quieter my bow was! I would like to know how much if any loss of speed there actually is? Not that I’m into speed that much, wouldn’t be using heavy arrows if I was. So now to decide, do I continue using my new quite B55 string, or do I go back to my fast flight material??
What are your findings, opinions, or thoughts, on string material??

Graps

Re: String material

#2 Post by Graps »

The only ecperience I have actually had was with my 60# 62" recurve a few years ago.
I shot the same arrow on a 20 yard indoor video hunt room. The wall that had sensors in it would record the impact spot as well as the FPS at 20 yards.
The bow with D97 was averaging 180FPS and with B55 the average was 178FPS.
That was a 610gr. arrow.
My conclusion was, the extra noise wasn't worth it.
Now the flip side of the same coin, I have a 45# 52" recurve that will make a 10# difference in spine weight between the two materials. I haven't had the opportunity to shoot it with a real crono so I don't know what the speed difference is.
I will add, I like the feel of the shot better with the B55, and as far as speed goes, I don't worry about it.
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

stumper

#3 Post by stumper »

Glad to hear you like the string. I now have dark brown in b55 thanks to your order. What kinda of ff material are you using? I love b55 for many reasons. It’s easy to tie with, cuts with regular scissors when trimming, lower stretch than Dacron, safe on all bows, and is half the price of d97.

I like graps don’t even worry about speed. I have heard that even the fastest strings are just a few FPS more. To me d97 is a great compromise in ff material as it is ff but still has some spongyness to it. Unlike some of the newer materials that do not give an inch. I have ff on most of my bows at the moment, but I sell more b55 strings than ff and am thinking about just going back myself.

To give you an idea of the price difference. D97 is about 20-23 bucks for an 1/8lb spool (~837 feet). And b55 is about 12-13 for a 1/4lb spool (~1075 feet).
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#4 Post by Carpdaddy »

I have been a D97 user so many years that it’s hard to change, but I just had to give B55 a chance. I was just curious about difference in speed between the two materials. Normally my first shot is among my best and the more I shoot the worse I get, probably due to bum shoulder! This time my entire first round hit about a foot low, all arrows close together, so I just wondered if it was due to slower speed. Sure does shoot quieter though!

stumper

#5 Post by stumper »

pics or it didn’t happen! Want to see them groups. How much did string stretch? I’m looking at a different method of prestretching and hopefully will be sending strings that are already stretched.

Tony a good while back you referred some business to me. I believe the strings I sent might have some of the old cabling problems I was having before graps schooled me. Would you contact that friend of yours (I don’t remember his name) and offer him a free replacement if he so desires.

stumper

#6 Post by stumper »

Tony. I tied one for my widow maker and I was hitting a tad low for the first few shots. Dark brown looks good with the green. Just need to get some serving to match. I went 14 strand padded to 16 and did a .20 serving Which seems to fit wood arrows nicely.

Though got to be honest. I’m not at all disappointed with the way it shoots. In terms of noise, I’d say it’s a tad quieter cannot hear any of that recurve twang, however, it was already pretty quiet. Needless to say I didn’t bother putting the old string back on.
Attachments
FCB7CF7A-6FC4-4EB1-AE23-0C23C677E8A3.jpeg
FCB7CF7A-6FC4-4EB1-AE23-0C23C677E8A3.jpeg (117.62 KiB) Viewed 48 times
01973889-391B-40E1-AF68-3F398C7AB676.jpeg
01973889-391B-40E1-AF68-3F398C7AB676.jpeg (221.73 KiB) Viewed 48 times

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#7 Post by Carpdaddy »

At the Ky Tradfest the last two years there was a booth set up selling spools at a steal! I loaded up on D97 at $5.00 per 1/4 lb spool! Never seen it anywhere close to that price anywhere else, so I spent too much!
I will check with my hunting buddy and see how his strings are doing, Talked to him last night.

stumper

#8 Post by stumper »

Carpdaddy wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:16 pm At the Ky Tradfest the last two years there was a booth set up selling spools at a steal! I loaded up on D97 at $5.00 per 1/4 lb spool! Never seen it anywhere close to that price anywhere else, so I spent too much!
I will check with my hunting buddy and see how his strings are doing, Talked to him last night.
Appreciate it.

Longtrad

#9 Post by Longtrad »

I've read its about 15fps difference.

Shadowhntr

#10 Post by Shadowhntr »

There isn't enough difference in speed to notice Tony. My FF are dead quiet. I do like the thinner strings though of certain FF over the standard strings.
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Return to “Campfire”