Deaf Camp and the United Bowhunters of Missouri

Come on in and sit a spell. There's a seat for you around the campfire.
Forum rules
Please keep hunting posts to Traditional Bow Hunting. No canned or high fence hunts or stories allowed. Please be respectful of fellow members and helpful to those with questions. Treat others like you like to be treated. There is a Japanese word that I try and model my life after.
GAMAN: patience..dignity..restraint.
dhaverstick

Deaf Camp and the United Bowhunters of Missouri

#1 Post by dhaverstick »

This past weekend was the 17th annual Outdoor Skills Camp for deaf and hearing impaired children (Deaf Camp) and the United Bowhunters of Missouri, once again, ran the archery range. This year was special for me because I actually got to attend the other activities besides archery. I'm writing an article about this camp for the "Missouri Conservationist" magazine and I got to follow photojounalist, Noppadol Paothong, around as we gathered material for the piece. Another reason that this year was special to me was that it might be the camp's last year. They are running into funding problems so I have made it my mission to see that they have the money they need to continue this worthy enterprise. The kids get hands-on instruction in archery, shooting, canoeing, fishing, and rock climbing. This year, there were even a couple of guys teaching flint knapping! Most of the volunteer workers are Missouri Department of Conservation employees and it is a pleasure to work beside them to pull this off. The UBM looks forward to this camp each year and we are going to make sure that we have an archery range to run in 2019.

Darren

Grizzly

Re: Deaf Camp and the United Bowhunters of Missouri

#2 Post by Grizzly »

I hope the funding continues for this camp for the youngsters, and especially those with little or no hearing ability. Too much noise and shooting has taken a heavy toll on my ears. It about pains me to think of children going through life wondering what everyone is saying around them and never hearing the birds singing, or crickets at night or the many sounds we all take for granted. Glad to see the UBM introducing the kids to archery. I'm sure they look forwards to this every year - the kids and the UBM.

I see they used a Boy Scout Camp. Is that part of the funding problem?

Craig
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

Graps

#3 Post by Graps »

Thanks for sharing this with us Darren.
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

dhaverstick

#4 Post by dhaverstick »

Craig, the Boy Scouts are not part of the funding issue. They let us use their facility for the camp and that's still good. The problem is that one of the major donors has dropped out. The annual cost to run the camp is really quite small, around $3000, so I don't think we'll have too much of a problem finding other donors. I think the camp coordinators are more concerned about long-term planning if they have to go looking for money each year.

Darren

stumper

#5 Post by stumper »

What an important event to keep going.
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#6 Post by Captainkirk »

Nothing I like to see better than kids and bows. Hats off to you, Darren!
Aim small, miss small!

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#7 Post by Carpdaddy »

Great pictures and work, hope it can continue.

Return to “Campfire”