Double Vision

Come on in and sit a spell. There's a seat for you around the campfire.
Forum rules
Please keep hunting posts to Traditional Bow Hunting. No canned or high fence hunts or stories allowed. Please be respectful of fellow members and helpful to those with questions. Treat others like you like to be treated. There is a Japanese word that I try and model my life after.
GAMAN: patience..dignity..restraint.
Jaydogk9b

Double Vision

#1 Post by Jaydogk9b »

Can you guys check this out and let me know what you think. I am hoping this will help me with my sloppy group.
Never fear a man with many wepons. Fear the man with only 1, for it is an extension of himself.

Graps

Re: Double Vision

#2 Post by Graps »

Howard Hill shot that way.
I cant get over how deep he hooks the string. But it works for him.
I would say this is kinda the way I shoot, but I call it instinct shooting.
I don't pay attention to where the arrow shaft is, I just look at a spot, draw back and put the arrow where the spot is.
Much like a pitcher throwing a baseball would do. Or someone shooting darts.
It is much better to not think too much, just shoot. ;)
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

stumper

#3 Post by stumper »

Cool. I've been shooting instinct for several months now and it is going well. I do see the shaft in my double vision but I mostly ignore it. Been getting pretty good results as of late.
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Jaydogk9b

#4 Post by Jaydogk9b »

Sounds like this oldtimmer is focusing on the straight arrow and pointing to the center of the double targets.
Never fear a man with many wepons. Fear the man with only 1, for it is an extension of himself.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#5 Post by Carpdaddy »

I think that stuff on his hat is some sorta aiming device! 😆

Jaydogk9b

#6 Post by Jaydogk9b »

Carpdaddy wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:42 am I think that stuff on his hat is some sorta aiming device! 😆
I think you might be on to something...

Shadowhntr

#7 Post by Shadowhntr »

I'm kinda confused on his explanation. I personally think I shoot split vision instinctive, but I've never seen double images or a need to shoot in the middle of them.
I primarily see my target, but I also my arrow, a bit blurry, in my peripheral. At no time have I ever seen dual images (without liquor that is...😂) shooting instinctively so I'm a bit confused with this. It obviously works ok for him whatever it is. I dont have any trouble hitting though in NOT seeing two images.
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Jaydogk9b

#8 Post by Jaydogk9b »

Well maybe he just needs glasses. I know if anyone can hit a target in Michigan right now you must be good. The mosquitoes nearly lifted me off the ground. 1 arrow, done for the night, better days ahead.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#9 Post by Captainkirk »

Being a righty, left eye dominant, you may recall some of the gyrations I had to go through to learn to shoot instinctively. Ended up that I can now shoot with both eyes wide open, provided I focus completely on the target. This means mentally blocking any peripheral of the arrow, bow, sight window, large black bear approaching from the right... :shock: wait, what?!!! :lol: :lol:
Bottom line; like Jason, I've never seen double anything. Granted, it was a learning process, but doable.
Aim small, miss small!

Dan

#10 Post by Dan »

I wonder if he is focused on the arrow causing the “double vision” at the target. If you hold your finger out and focus on it whatever is in the background is doubled. Never tried shooting that way. I focus on the target. At farther ranges where my arrow point comes into view I somewhat gap.

Return to “Campfire”