Double Vision

Come on in and sit a spell. There's a seat for you around the campfire.
Forum rules
Please keep hunting posts to Traditional Bow Hunting. No canned or high fence hunts or stories allowed. Please be respectful of fellow members and helpful to those with questions. Treat others like you like to be treated. There is a Japanese word that I try and model my life after.
GAMAN: patience..dignity..restraint.
Graps

Re: Double Vision

#16 Post by Graps »

Back in the 70s I tried to shoot one of those contraptions.
I'm glad I did that. It killed the curiosity very quickly.
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Shadowhntr

#17 Post by Shadowhntr »

Jaydogk9b wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:34 am I shoot instinctively. I just look at the point i eant to hit, pull until i hit my anchor, and release without pause. Seems to work best. But my group is like a paper plate at 20 (ish) yards. Remember I've mostlyshot wheels my whole life and i am used to tagging each arrow at 30 yards. I say 20ish yards because I find if i just toss out the target and shoot i do ok. Sems when i set a specific distance with my recurve i cant hit crap. Probably just a mental block.
Jaydog, are you primarily a big game hunter or primarily a target shooter?

I ask because if you are a big game hunter, which part of the heart and lungs are you going to miss with that paper plate sized group at 20? Dead is dead.

I understand wanting to be more and more accurate.....but that in reality has to stop somewhere for the largest portion of us, and not one of us will ever be a Hill or a Ferguson. It's ok to try....but do not let that thought of having to be gnats a_ _ accurate ruin your hunting or your enjoyment. I'm the worst archery shot of anyone I know because they are all really good, but I've killed a pile of deer cleanly non the less. A paper plate at 20 kills deer every single time if you are aiming at the goodies.

In the mean time....I promise you your group you aren't happy with is due to either form, or release....period. Dont make the mistake so many make in thinking its something to do with how you aim....aiming to hit is easy.

With the group as tight as it is at 20, to improve I'd suggest making sure you are hitting anchor, then release KEEPING the hand close along the face as it falls back, and form a landing point for your release hand to go to after every single shot....

For instance I anchor index to corner of mouth, upon release I have light contact with my face as my hand brushes it moving back from released pressure, then I touch my ear lobe with my index and middle fingers which is where I land.

If you're having small anomalies in your release, it indeed will show up as a group more loose then you may like. The release hand must do the exact same thing everytime or you'll be a little left ,little right, little high, little low....

Also Make sure to hold your bow out in front of you upon the shot and DO NOT move it until full 2 seconds after you see the arrow hit.
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Graps

#18 Post by Graps »

Good advice Jason.
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Dan

#19 Post by Dan »

Yep, consistent form, release, and follow through are important for tight groups. Mental focus plays a part also.

stumper

#20 Post by stumper »

I moved my anchor point to a tooth a while back for even more consistency than a my mouth corner.
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#21 Post by Carpdaddy »

My problems arise from knowing but not doing! Taking a video of yourself from the side watching the shot will usually let you find your bad habits. I did it again yesterday and was surprised that I was hitting anything. Forgetting about the second anchor and release hand going straight back I was plucking the string with my hand going outward and upward upon release. And I caught myself “flinching”, like shooting a shotgun and having a misfire but still jerking like the shell went off. Not every time but too often! Back to work now to correct this issue, yep; I know what to do, just don’t always do it!

Return to “Campfire”