I might be all done

Come on in and sit a spell. There's a seat for you around the campfire.
Forum rules
Please keep hunting posts to Traditional Bow Hunting. No canned or high fence hunts or stories allowed. Please be respectful of fellow members and helpful to those with questions. Treat others like you like to be treated. There is a Japanese word that I try and model my life after.
GAMAN: patience..dignity..restraint.
Greg Felty

Re: I might be all done

#11 Post by Greg Felty »

Longbowfanatic wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:36 pm So sorry, Dale. I wish you well, my friend. If you can't hunt, I hope you can at least get out and enjoy the wildlife we all love so much.
x2
As much as I hate the word crossbow maybe you can use one. Whatever it takes to stay hunting.
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

stumper

#12 Post by stumper »

Graps wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:20 pm
Carpdaddy wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:39 am Another option for the hand is the Rodgers release.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFyI-XgMK5k
I have one of those. My problem is my bow hand, cant take the pressure against my palm.
Left handed Time??
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#13 Post by Carpdaddy »

I guess I would possibly take pictures and/or chunk rocks at them, but none of us can really know without having the exact same issue. I sure hope you get to continue even if not as serious as you once were. And even if you got to use one of them fangled aforementioned bows.
You may have noticed at times on my pictures that there is something black stuck on the risers where my hand sets. That is a stick on rubber tennis racket handle wrap, don’t need it much now but it does give some nice cushion to the palm.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#14 Post by Carpdaddy »

Found an example from a while back, you can see the rubber cushioned piece for my palm.
Attachments
photo jul 12, 12 44 21 pm.jpg
photo jul 12, 12 44 21 pm.jpg (203.79 KiB) Viewed 45 times

Graps

#15 Post by Graps »

Most of my problem is emotional. I could still harvest with a 45# bow, I just would have a hard time with recovery.
I have several offers to help with recovery, but no one understands how frustrating it is.
It's like not pulling my own weight.
Yea, I know, when I was a young dumb bull I helped the old timers and now it's my turn go get help.
But I don't like it.
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#16 Post by Captainkirk »

First of all, let me say how sorry I am to hear of your troubles...I actually resisted commenting earlier because I wanted to think this through.
Sciatica I know about. It's an absolutely miserable condition that makes sitting (or standing, whichever the case may be) near;y impossible. The years I was having bad bouts I stayed home. Yeah, it's that bad.
The other condition I know nothing about, but there have been some good suggestions here, including;
*Shooting 'lefty', although drawing with that hand may be just as painful
*Using a crossbow. DNRs have been allowing crossbows for people with disabilities (yours certainly qualifies!) for years. While I am not a fan of crossbows (and likely you aren't either) it's better than throwing in the towel.
* Finish that smokepole! Better to hunt with a firearm than not at all!
*Drag a buddy along to mentor. You could teach them all that stuff rattling around in your head and never need to draw a bow, yet still get in on the hunt!
*Find out if the Dr. can recommend treatment or therapy to help with the condition(s).
*Share your frustrations, complaints and victories with us here. The only thing worse than having medical issues is not being able to share them, or sharing them with people that really could care less. We care, buddy. For real.
Aim small, miss small!

Greg Felty

#17 Post by Greg Felty »

Sounds like me Dale. I hunt alone and I am not able to drag one out. That is why I have not shot one since 2010. I still prepare for the hunt as if I am going to take one but always talk myself out of shooting when I get the chance. As long as can crawl I will be out there.
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

Graps

#18 Post by Graps »

This is the problem in both if my hands. Two places in my left hand and one place in my right hand.
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#19 Post by Captainkirk »

Fascinating! Have you considered any of the options they discussed?
Aim small, miss small!

Graps

#20 Post by Graps »

I considered the Xiafex injections but no one near me does it. There's a Dr. in Chicago that does it but I have also found out it isn't a high percentage of success.

Return to “Campfire”