game changer

Come on in and sit a spell. There's a seat for you around the campfire.
Forum rules
Please keep hunting posts to Traditional Bow Hunting. No canned or high fence hunts or stories allowed. Please be respectful of fellow members and helpful to those with questions. Treat others like you like to be treated. There is a Japanese word that I try and model my life after.
GAMAN: patience..dignity..restraint.
Graps

Re: game changer

#16 Post by Graps »

This past June when I went bear hunting, I wasn't going to go , but my wife talked me into it.
She said "You don't know if you will be able to do it later."
I'm glad I went.
I do understand where you are comeing from.
Good hunting. Graps
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#17 Post by Carpdaddy »

I have been struggling with something that may or may not be vertigo for the last couple years. Whatever it is is getting worse lately. I get dizzy when bending over or reaching for something high, some days are very bad.
Tuesday evening I got an opportunity to climb a tree and took it. It was a hang on stand in a location that has been good in the past. Suddenly the unexpected happened, I was just sitting there still and quite looking for activity when a bad dizzy spell hit me! I quickly grabbed the long end of my safety rope, wrapped it around my waist, and tried to keep myself from falling! Normally it goes away fairly quickly but not this time, it did let up a little. Just enough for me to turn, grab onto the tree steps, and quickly tighten my safety belt up to where there was only inches between me and the tree, if I fell it wasn’t going to be far! It was during prime time hunting but any Deer was safe, not only because of this but also because I knocked my arrow off my bow in the frenzy to close strap myself. I never sat back down until I was in my truck!
I have always hunted from an elevated stand but unless something changes I will be joining you guys with both feet on the ground! Not by choice but I never want to have that kind of fun again! Don’t mean to hijack your thread Joe, just sharing that I had a familiar game changer!

Elkman
Site Admin

#18 Post by Elkman »

Wow, guys, I am not liking what I am hearing. I know that there is nothing I can do.😔
I hope and pray you all can get back to normal sooner than later!
Calling Elk - Awesome! !€

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#19 Post by Captainkirk »

Many generations of Native American Indians hunted from the ground and appear to have been quite successful at it. It does NOT mean the end of hunting. Yes, it's a bit of a game changer, but our generation has really only been mainstream stand hunting since the late 1970's and I didn't even buy a tree stand until the mid 90's. What it forces us to do is become better hunters...good enough that we can hunt from the ground. Is that so bad?
Really, what stand-hunting is/has become, is a paradigm shift imposed upon us by equipment manufacturers that makes us feel inferior if we are not up in a tree with the latest and greatest. Sort of the same with equipment such as lighted sights, crossbows, wheelie bows, etc (not that there's anything wrong with those things if that's your cup of tea) it gets forced upon you by pressure from TV shows, hunting videos, magazines along with it's built-in obsolescence. My Bear bows were obsolete 40 years ago and I could care less. But that's just me.
Aim small, miss small!

joe harrod1945

#20 Post by joe harrod1945 »

I feel really bad today an nothing i can do about it.you brothers have been great at the time i need it thanks.my spirit of the hunt says when i get well go up a tree my body says learn to ground hunt.It will be too dangerous in a tree.you never know when vertigo hits an that is scary.I do not want to scar you but this is serious stuff you can be walking an the next minute your on the ground an do not know what happened.but their is hope YOU HAVE SMALL SIGNS BEFORE IT HAPPENS.SLIGHT DIZZINESS,PRESSER IN YOUR NECK.EVES START TO FLOAT,THESE ARE MY WARNING SIGNS.WHEN YOU WAKE UP IN THE MORNING AN OPEN YOUR EVES IN THE ROOM STARTS SPINNING CLOSE YOU EVES AN WAIT AWHILE UNTIL IT SUBSIDES.GAME CHANGER.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#21 Post by Captainkirk »

Joe, FWIW I hunt in a brushed out ground blind, not a pop-up. I find a nice big tree trunk to set my stool behind (a split trunk is even better) and brush it out to break up any parts that might be showing. Of course, this means learning the prevailing winds and where the trails/food sources are because any deer coming from the wrong side of the tree is gonna have you for lunch...busted! in 2016 I had three deer walk within 30 yards of me and while they knew something was up, they didn't know what it was or where.
Aim small, miss small!

Graps

#22 Post by Graps »

I actually think I get more shot opportunity's from the ground.
I think I get busted quite often when I'm in a tree.
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#23 Post by Captainkirk »

Graps wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:34 pm I actually think I get more shot opportunity's from the ground.
I think I get busted quite often when I'm in a tree.
I can see that, Dale. When sciatica gets you to squirming around like a worm on a hotplate, it's hard for them NOT to see you up there.
Aim small, miss small!

joe harrod1945

#24 Post by joe harrod1945 »

I am starting to feel I little better but it is going to take time hope not long scary.I am starting to loose interest in bow hunting too much trouble.I am a meat hunter an need the meat.this is not fun no more.I brag about not hunting with a gun if it comes down to it I will for the meat.Do not miss understand me i have plenty of food but i love deer meat.3 families are counting on use to fill their freezers.i hunt legally call in every deer what i do with my meat is my business that how see it.I am not well an I am not playing around this year.have fun guys an stay well.

joe harrod1945

#25 Post by joe harrod1945 »

went hunting Saturday with my ground blind sat for 4 hours seen 2 does .They did not see me or smelled me too far to shoot 30 yds.I had a great time.Still dizzy 1 ear stopped up.I had to go hunting beautiful afternoon.Time in the woods is better then time in a recliner.HOPE ALL OF YOU ARE WELL.WHEN A PERSON IS NOT WELL HE SAYS THINGS HE SHOULD NOT HOPE NO ONE IS OFFENDED.BY THE WAY I HUNTED WITH MY LONGBOW.HAVE A GREAT DAY.

Return to “Campfire”