Hutchinson Creek Hunt 1

Come on in and sit a spell. There's a seat for you around the campfire.
Forum rules
Please keep hunting posts to Traditional Bow Hunting. No canned or high fence hunts or stories allowed. Please be respectful of fellow members and helpful to those with questions. Treat others like you like to be treated. There is a Japanese word that I try and model my life after.
GAMAN: patience..dignity..restraint.
stumper

Hutchinson Creek Hunt 1

#1 Post by stumper »

Hunting deer for me has been one of the most enjoyable yet frustrating experiences ever. Three years into trad hunting only and I’ve yet to even see a deer. Private land is not an option because people in Louisiana do not like to share so public is what I’m working with. This year though is gonna be different.....

This series thread is going to document my chronicles to get that first traditional deer, which will most likely be on public land. It’s gonna happen people, maybe it already did read on. Story time Elkman style.

Decided to sneak out and get a quick evening hunt in at the closest WMA, Hutchinson Creek. This WMA is one of my favorites because it is only 128 acres and is bow hunt only. Also, there are probably only five people total that hunt it on a regular basis in the entire state and I am one of them.

I’ve been to Hutchison creek probably six or seven times and I’m pretty sure that I’ve walked every acre of it. So why go there if you’ve never seen a deer there? Because they are there people they are there.

So, off I went alone with some determination and my camo longbow. Got in my little hunting truck it’s new to me but getting pretty old nonetheless. One major change to this year is the addition of a tree stand, I think it will be a game changer. Perhaps just the prospect of getting out in the woods excited me because I felt less anxious calmer and more at peace and I have been since I can remember. I began to even see some beautiful spots up Louisiana. More to come.

X on the map is parking the tiny black dot is where I’m headed. It’s not a short or easy walk.
Attachments
314A522E-884B-40C1-B642-F13B746C2EE3.jpeg
314A522E-884B-40C1-B642-F13B746C2EE3.jpeg (39.08 KiB) Viewed 253 times
C0C68ED2-2CCE-44D5-A9B7-69898E58C173.jpeg
C0C68ED2-2CCE-44D5-A9B7-69898E58C173.jpeg (167.37 KiB) Viewed 253 times
C0398B9D-A612-4874-90FD-5DE08F2761B0.jpeg
C0398B9D-A612-4874-90FD-5DE08F2761B0.jpeg (106.07 KiB) Viewed 253 times
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Graps

Re: Hutchinson Creek Hunt 1

#2 Post by Graps »

Well lets go along with you and get some venison. ;)
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#3 Post by Captainkirk »

Graps wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:58 pm Well lets go along with you and get some venison. ;)
This!^^^^
Aim small, miss small!

Greg Felty

#4 Post by Greg Felty »

Good luck Dave. I'm along for the ride.
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

stumper

#5 Post by stumper »

The second picture above is actually the entrance to the WMA and by golly, I've got the place to myself. So I get out of my truck and the first thing I notice is about a dozen Turkey Vultures sitting in the trees. Turns out somebody has taken a deer here and left little bits for the birds. This has me in the best mood because it is more Wildlife than I have seen in a WMA. Now, I want to take a few shots with my camo bow (Sagittarius). Boy howdy, this bow can really zig them der arras. At 56lbs I have no doubt this puppy will blow clear through a deer and then some. I love this bow and have already made some pretty crazy shots with it out past 30 yards. But 20 is my limit for deer and I'm sticking to it.

So I find a good ole stump and go to town, Just when I'm thinking I'm all alone a black Camry pulls up next to me. A young cat like myself jumps outs and says "you hunting with a stick too? Three years of public land hunting and only ever seeing one other longbow the reference goes straight over my head. The Guy (also named Will just like my hunting partner) pulls out a longbow! WHAT?! Another thirty yearish old guy that shoots a longbow in Louisiana and at the same rare WMA? That's crazy and I have now met pretty much every hunter that frequents the WMA. Will tells me that he is here to do some scouting and adds that his Brother hunts with a stick bow only too. Turns out he lives right down the road from the WMA and we exchanged phone numbers. Before parting ways, Will tells me to call him if I get something and offers on the spot to help me drag it out. Now, it should be noted that Hutchinson Creek is surrounded by heavily hunted private property and there is a risk with such a small WMA of a wounded game animal running from the public land onto the private land. Will also tells me that he knows most of the land owner's and says get can help me with that too! Even better Will has a blood dog for difficult recoveries HOT DOG! I tell Will where I am hunting and he says he will stay clear of that area (MAN I LOVE TRAD HUNTERS) Generally so good natured.

We shake hands again still both in shock meeting another trad hunter and I start down the trail. Just then a crash in the woods and my phone rings (its Will). "Did you hear that?", Yes, I replied. He walked down the only other trail and jumped a deer! You know what that means! The deer are here. I have only hunted this area during rifle season, and perhaps I've been needing to just get here during the actual bow season. Perhaps also three years of scouting and trail reading is starting to pay off.

Pause, timeout, weather check..... Supposed to be 88 ugh..................... Weird not a mosquito in sight..... Feels more like 70 underneath the canopy. So I continue on the trail, I am carrying my deer stand. So, 15 minutes in, I've seen a dozen vultures, met another trad hunter, and he's already blown a deer... This is starting out good...

Loadout is pretty heavy, I have a bow (66"), with an EFA Quiver 4 arrows (more on this later, first bow hunt with a bow quiver, spoiler alert never hunting without this thing again), 18-pound treestand on my back, 20 pound sack on my front and a more than two-mile hike ahead of me. Well better get walking, more to come.
Attachments
3D460605-BF90-4784-896C-BE4F2F73739D.jpeg
3D460605-BF90-4784-896C-BE4F2F73739D.jpeg (169.41 KiB) Viewed 233 times
40E09B04-9CA0-4F9B-B904-06168CC31DFD.jpeg
40E09B04-9CA0-4F9B-B904-06168CC31DFD.jpeg (276.43 KiB) Viewed 234 times
4A2BEB7E-190B-4E62-963A-D674ABACC29A.jpeg
4A2BEB7E-190B-4E62-963A-D674ABACC29A.jpeg (246 KiB) Viewed 235 times
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#6 Post by Captainkirk »

Dang it, Dave...you done set the hook. Might as well start reeling 'cuz I ain't goin' anywhere...
Aim small, miss small!

Graps

#7 Post by Graps »

And you invited your new friend to join Trad Hunter right? 🤔
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Jaydogk9b

#8 Post by Jaydogk9b »

Good luck on your adventures. Keep us posted.
Never fear a man with many wepons. Fear the man with only 1, for it is an extension of himself.

Elkman
Site Admin

#9 Post by Elkman »

I have a good feeling about this season Dave. I will be watching!
Calling Elk - Awesome! !€

Dan

#10 Post by Dan »

Great start to your hunt. Good luck and shoot straight 👍👍

Return to “Campfire”