It finally happened

Come on in and sit a spell. There's a seat for you around the campfire.
Forum rules
Please keep hunting posts to Traditional Bow Hunting. No canned or high fence hunts or stories allowed. Please be respectful of fellow members and helpful to those with questions. Treat others like you like to be treated. There is a Japanese word that I try and model my life after.
GAMAN: patience..dignity..restraint.
Shadowhntr

It finally happened

#1 Post by Shadowhntr »

Been waiting and waiting...lol....FINALLY!

Last spring we purchased 7 Ducklings,. 4 Pekin hen, 1 Ancona hen, and one each of drake Ancona and Blue Swedish. One drake will likely hit the freezer. I bought them for eggs and to double as meat if need be as well as possible duckling rearing. They hit laying age a month ago but it was so hot it suppressed the laying. Well with the cooler weather hitting we just found 6 eggs so one started apparently yesterday.
20181015_172314-600x800.jpg
20181015_172314-600x800.jpg (79.69 KiB) Viewed 106 times

I took the eggs in and as soon as I'd cleaned em up I dropped one in a buttered skillet. I'd heard both positive and negative about duck egg flavor...so I and Wyatt were a bit apprehensive. That all quickly dissipated with the first bite! I think quite possibly the best fried egg I've ever tasted! Soooooo darn good! Yes I've had fresh chicken eggs most my life....imo these are a cut above any chicken egg! I'm so pleased!

Anyone else like duck eggs?
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

Re: It finally happened

#2 Post by Captainkirk »

Never had them, but sounds delish!
Sounds like you hit the jackpot.
Aim small, miss small!

Graps

#3 Post by Graps »

Yes, they are good.
I have heard that turkey eggs are the best, but I have not had the chance to try them.
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Longtrad

#4 Post by Longtrad »

very nice! I really enjoy domestic duck and goose meat, the eggs are great too. We used to get a few duck eggs mixed in with our chicken eggs, in my opinion the ones I had were like a big chicken egg but more rich and buttery. very good eating.

Elkman
Site Admin

#5 Post by Elkman »

Duck eggs are great for baking also. Turkey eggs from what I was told by my neighbor are very good, but you need to work to get into them.
Calling Elk - Awesome! !€

Dan

#6 Post by Dan »

Never tried duck eggs. We had 2 ducks and a few chickens but my neighbor complained to the police about them and they had to go before they got to laying age. I guess it was against zoning to have farm animals.

stumper

#7 Post by stumper »

Dan wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:25 pm Never tried duck eggs. We had 2 ducks and a few chickens but my neighbor complained to the police about them and they had to go before they got to laying age. I guess it was against zoning to have farm animals.
Some people have nothing better to do than bother the police.
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Nock

#8 Post by Nock »

Never tired duck eggs.
Happiness is a tight chain!

Grizzly

#9 Post by Grizzly »

"Some people have nothing better to do than bother the police"
We had one fellow like that down the block; complained to the police about everything: kids playing, folks working on their house; even a Christian group that sang together in a home. I think he really showed his true colors to the police when he made a derogatory remark about one black child playing with the other kids across the street from his house.

One day my Grandson came home crying after playing hide and seek at this man's neighbor's house. The child hid behind a bush on his property and he came out and scared and threatened them enough that the youngin was in tears. I went over and knocked on his door for a talk - and got no response. So, I walked around the block to the police station for some advice. The officer lit up when I explained what happened. He went and interviewed my Grandson and specifically asked if he had anything in his hand when he was threatening. Luckily for his sake, he did not. He still spent the weekend in jail waiting on a judge to come in on Monday. little did I know that he had done the same thing to my daughter when she was that age, as she rode her bike down the block.

I've never had a duck egg, though I have had fresh farm chicken eggs. How do you protect them from the predators in your area? Ever have an owl in the chicken coop? Foxes may be the worst.

There is something about fresh eggs, sausage links and pancakes that makes me celebrate life. I still remember that first breakfast at home after two years in Viet Nam. I give thanks each and every time now, when I enjoy fresh eggs, with syrup on those pancakes and some nice sausage links to go with it - still, 50 years later...
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

Return to “Campfire”