Do you carry while bow hunting?

Come on in and sit a spell. There's a seat for you around the campfire.
Forum rules
Please keep hunting posts to Traditional Bow Hunting. No canned or high fence hunts or stories allowed. Please be respectful of fellow members and helpful to those with questions. Treat others like you like to be treated. There is a Japanese word that I try and model my life after.
GAMAN: patience..dignity..restraint.
Longtrad

Do you carry while bow hunting?

#1 Post by Longtrad »

I have been thinking about this topic recently and would like to hear what everyone else does. I know it is a personal choice, but I thought it might make for good discussion.

I have never carried while bow hunting, I typically have a rifle in the truck, but nothing on my person. I have no moral case against it, I just don't because I don't like the extra weight and the awkwardness of having something attached to my body. I have started to consider taking something small with me like a shield to certain areas.

Now, I would bet 99.9% percent of the time a side arm would be nothing but added hip weight and maybe a little piece of mind, but it doesn't take much imagination to think of a scenario where a personal defense piece would come in handy, whether it be from 4 legged critters or 2.

So what is your take on the matter? do you feel a bow is enough or do you carry a piece while hunting? If so do you carry all the time or does it depend on location?

EDIT

PART 2

Do you carry any first aid while hunting?

Like wise it does not take a lot of imagination to see where this could be the difference between life and death.

This is something I am lacking on, outside of cloth athletic tape and a handkerchief I don't have anything in my pack. I would like to add a tourniquet and maybe even some clotting agent.

I have noticed a lot of first aid kits are filled with small bandaids and Tylenol but would not be of much use if a serious cut or puncture happened.

Graps

Re: Do you carry while bow hunting?

#2 Post by Graps »

I don't feel the need myself but it's not legal in Michigan to carry a firearm while bow hunting.
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#3 Post by Carpdaddy »

I think it is probably a good idea to have, but I have bowhunted most of my life without, actually without either. Last season I kept having Coyote encounters and carried a pistol on a few hunts. A Yote came by and I tried to get a quick shot off with my bow, after it was gone I realized that I had forgot about the pistol, so I’m not packing again. 😋

Elkman
Site Admin

#4 Post by Elkman »

Weather I carry or not depends on location here in Montana. If I am going to an area where there are Grizzly bear, I carry my 357 mag with me along with bear spray. As mentioned it is a pain at times and extra weight.
Just the other day we had a hunter attacked by a Grizzly in the Livingston area where I was in mid September. If he wouldn't have had a hunting partner, he may have been killed. He had no time to react, but his buddy, who was behind him, did. The hunting partner ran up and sprayed the Sow in the face and she retreated. She charged again and was hit by more bear spray and ran off with her cub.
You don't hear about it often, but there have been wolf attacks also. A Female guide in Idaho was attacked. A large wolf charged her and she drew on the wolf and unloaded on it. It went down and died within feet of her.

Sorry for such a long answer about carrying, but there are dangerous critters out there in some areas.
As far as first aid, I also carry a small first aid kit hunting and fishing.
Calling Elk - Awesome! !€

Greg Felty

#5 Post by Greg Felty »

In Michigan you can't carry one while bowhunting unless you have a CPL. If I had a CPL i would probably carry. It's the two legged critters I worry about. I have never carried any first aid equipment.But now you have me thinking about it.
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#6 Post by Captainkirk »

First Aid kit in the truck.
Like Graps said, carry is illegal in Illinois while bowhunting.
Aim small, miss small!

Jamesh76

#7 Post by Jamesh76 »

Yes, my son and I both typically carry. Kansas law allows carry while hunting or fishing for adult and youth. It took an extensive amount of training before I was comfortable letting him carry. I figured if he could do the drills I do at work at an acceptable rate and accuracy he was good.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#8 Post by Carpdaddy »

With the number of Bear sightings quickly rising in our area this has me thinking 🤔.

Grizzly

#9 Post by Grizzly »

I live and hunt in Illinois also, where it is illegal to carry while bowhunting. During the gun season you may, but it must fit the 500 ft lbs requirement and not be a semi-auto.
I would if I could because I finally decided I should. (Try to put together a sentence like that :D ).

Before I got back into archery, I'd spent many years involved with handguns. When they finally legalized ccw here in Illinois (the last state to do so) it still took me four years to decide to apply. Competing and enjoying the sport on the range is completely different than carrying everyday. There is a huge mind set that has to take place first. For instance, all of my handguns had work done to smooth their actions and lighten triggers. Some had been highly modified and each had a purpose. I rarely, if ever carry those. I've experienced what happens when tunnel vision sets in, along with heightened anxiety. I know how the body reacts when you are being fired upon, and having a handgun with a crisp, light trigger is very dangerous to my way of thinking. Try lowering the hammer on a revolver under those conditions. It may just slip out from under your thumb. Will you remember to put your safety back on a 1911 before holstering? Will you remember to remove it if stressed out? I won't even carry a striker fired handgun. I chose double action only for all of mine, but then I'm 70 years old and not running to the range a few times a week anymore either. I also put in the time with double action revolvers years ago at bowling pin matches.

Will you even remember you have it on you if you haven't first lived with it everyday for months and years? Is your mind programmed or willing to take a life? Notice how hard the Army trains you to be able to do that. No sane person wants to have to.

Yet, look at the programming going on in the heads of kids doing video games constantly. They are shooting everything in sight. Look at the discussions and many videos about carrying on the internet. You'd think they were programming you for Special Forces or a SWAT team. I carry and I will out in the field when not bowhunting. I too realize the importance of more first aid gear, including a tourniquet. Look how fast our deer bleed out. I once hit one in the femoral artery when it took a step on a long shot. It went down as quickly as one shot through both lungs (decided i'd never do that again). Actually, I'm surprised we are not required by law to carry that stuff. Guess I've added more than James asked for, but this is a very important topic with many things to consider.

There is a new account of an old gent who was pinned up against a fence by a young basket rack - if I remember the story correctly. He managed to reach his folding stockman pocket knife and stab the deer in the neck often enough for it to give up the fight. :shock:
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

stumper

#10 Post by stumper »

I carry a small 5 shot hammerless .357 which is my backup weapon on duty. I am qualified with it through my department and carry department issued ammo in it virtually everywhere including while hunting, mostly for two-legged animals.

I don't carry a whole lot of first aid items while hunting but do carry a few things that can be used as a tourniquet if needed. I might start now that you mention it though.
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Return to “Campfire”