Smoked squirrel - It's what's for supper!

Come on in and sit a spell. There's a seat for you around the campfire.
Forum rules
Please keep hunting posts to Traditional Bow Hunting. No canned or high fence hunts or stories allowed. Please be respectful of fellow members and helpful to those with questions. Treat others like you like to be treated. There is a Japanese word that I try and model my life after.
GAMAN: patience..dignity..restraint.
dhaverstick

Smoked squirrel - It's what's for supper!

#1 Post by dhaverstick »

Missouri's squirrel season opened this past Saturday and I was like a kid waiting for Christmas morning. Of course, it rained that morning so I didn't get after them in earnest until yesterday. I flung a few arrows at the yard squirrels but couldn't connect. So I broke out my 32 caliber flintlock, Miss Daisy, and headed to the woods. The leaves are super thick and the squirrels super squirrelly so after a couple of misses I decided to break out Ole Betsy, my 12 gauge. Things started to die after that. I killed these three in about 30 minutes.

The June/July 2021 issue of "Traditional Bowhunter" magazine has a recipe for smoked squirrel nachos. I got my issue about a month before our squirrel season opened so I knew what I was going to do with the first few I killed. Last night I smoke the three squirrels I killed last Sunday.

Here's what they looked like before going on the smoker. I used a dry rub of my own concoction but you can use anything you like. I smoked them for one hour at around 250 degrees.

After smoking, I put the squirrels in a 13x9 baking pan with 4 cups of beef/chicken broth plus a sliced sweet onion. I covered the pan with foil and put it back in the smoker for another 2 hours. Here is what they looked like when I brought them in the house.

The next time I do this, I will put the pan of squirrels in the oven instead of the smoker and will probably keep them in for 2 1/2 hours. Why? Well, I'm not putting any more smoke into the meat and I can control the temperature better with the oven. Also, The meat was tender, but it wasn't fall-off-the-bone tender. Nevertheless, here is the pile of meat I got off of three squirrels. Me and the dogs thought it tasted mighty fine!

I will be adding to my squirrel tally over the week and will try this recipe again.

Darren

White Falcon

Re: Smoked squirrel - It's what's for supper!

#2 Post by White Falcon »

Looks good!!

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#3 Post by Captainkirk »

Looks delicious, Darren! "Smoked" squirrel, I'd call that!
Aim small, miss small!

jaydee2trad

#4 Post by jaydee2trad »

Used to fry em and them slow cook them until they fall apart. don't to with the young ones.

dhaverstick

#5 Post by dhaverstick »

Here is what the nachos looked like made with the squirrel. They were pretty dang tasty!

Darren

White Falcon

#6 Post by White Falcon »

Looks GREAT.

jaydee2trad

#7 Post by jaydee2trad »

looked like a win win. some of the southern folk make gumbo with the squirrel

Return to “Campfire”