Path’s

Come on in and sit a spell. There's a seat for you around the campfire.
Forum rules
Please keep hunting posts to Traditional Bow Hunting. No canned or high fence hunts or stories allowed. Please be respectful of fellow members and helpful to those with questions. Treat others like you like to be treated. There is a Japanese word that I try and model my life after.
GAMAN: patience..dignity..restraint.
South MS Bowhunter

Path’s

#1 Post by South MS Bowhunter »

Our season open the 15th of October and i've been at it since then off and on but have had plenty of time in the woods. The weather been hot as usual with temps in the high 80's and low 90"s through out October and early November plain miserable at times.
"The Lord is My shepherd I shall not want...."

South MS Bowhunter

Re: Path’s

#2 Post by South MS Bowhunter »

The night of December the 1st my boy asked if we were going to go hog hunting and I said we can but you have to help load the canoe. A few more times of asking and hearing him say he didn't want to get up early and he finally decided he wasn't going. About the canoe I had posted a thread on another site recently on canoes and what other were using since me and a friend Kirk (Possum head on the other site) had found a great place to hunt hogs. Oh by the way Kirk owes us a story too!

Since my son changed his mind this also help to narrow down my options in the path I would take, since no help to load the canoe I would hunt "The Land".

South MS Bowhunter

#3 Post by South MS Bowhunter »

The place I decided to hunt came to be known as "The Land" by way of shortening the sentence structure of what was originally known as "The Land I have permission to hunt on due to my friendship with Warren Duncan..." and is owned by two brothers Mr. Wayne and Harold Brown. The simple fact is we become lazy in life and human nature will alway look for the easy way, the path of least resistance as was the case in the sentence structure so it was with my son in wanting to sleep in.

South MS Bowhunter

#4 Post by South MS Bowhunter »

The Browns have allowed me to hunt their property for the last 6 years if my memory serves me right. The property started out being 1535 acres and over the years has been reduced to 1235 acres presently due to selling some off.

The land has been for sell ever since i've been allowed to hunt it and in reality the fact that it is for sale has in a way secured my permission. For you see the Browns only ask of me and the few others who hunt it to come out a few time a year to maintain the place and set up the food plots ect...
In this way they see the property value going up and making "The Land" more attractive for a sale.

South MS Bowhunter

#5 Post by South MS Bowhunter »

The land does have it draw back at times

And is very hard to hunt due to the deer being mostly nocturnal in my opinion.

Tons of signs but mostly night time photos on the trail cams the other guys use (I don't have one).

South MS Bowhunter

#6 Post by South MS Bowhunter »

Be back in a little while....

South MS Bowhunter

#7 Post by South MS Bowhunter »

This year starting in early October we had 3 bears using the property mostly due to the other guys feeders, one of the bears (radio collared) would make a huge rectangle every 24 hours, the local biologist was befuddle why he had this routine until he and one of the guys figured it out. The bear was making his round from one feeder to the next making this pattern. Bears are creature of habit too, like us will choose the path of least resistance given the chance.

South MS Bowhunter

#8 Post by South MS Bowhunter »

Well, the alarm went off at O how I hate 5 o'clock in the morning and I hit the snooze button not once but twice and started to roll over and join my son in the his chosen path of staying in bed.

As I laid there contemplating soft pillows and warm kivers, that other part of me, you know the one within us that moves us to get up and support our families when we would rather lay in bed, spoke to me and said make an effort....

South MS Bowhunter

#9 Post by South MS Bowhunter »

Now i'm dressed and in the FJ Cruiser a few miles from the land still torn on where to hunt..I go through this every time without exception it seems i'm always undecided on where to hunt.. it seems at time my hunting and my life run parallel.

South MS Bowhunter

#10 Post by South MS Bowhunter »

I find myself passing the road into the main portion of the land and it's as if i'm being controlled by another force stronger than my indecisiveness. I make the turn on a road nicknamed "Rattlesnake" need you ask why lol.

Return to “Campfire”