White oak mass??

Share your deer hunting knowledge, give tips on how to hunt deer. Ask any questions you may have about deer hunting.
Forum rules
Please stick to deer hunting tips and tactics in this forum.
Carpdaddy
Site Admin

White oak mass??

#1 Post by Carpdaddy »

Don't know personally but I am hearing that we are in for a good crop of white oak mass this year. How does that change the way you hunt if any?

Captainkirk
Site Admin

Re: White oak mass??

#2 Post by Captainkirk »

Ye. If I find a bunch of them I will use that to determine where I put my blind.
Aim small, miss small!

Shadowhntr

#3 Post by Shadowhntr »

It just is insurance to most my spots. I stay fairly close to bedding, on travel routes and funnels leading to feed. Which by the time I start hunting is largely mast. There is always good amounts of mast here, but a bumper crop is welcomed. I like acorn fattened deer meat!
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#4 Post by Captainkirk »

Shadowhntr wrote:It just is insurance to most my spots. I stay fairly close to bedding, on travel routes and funnels leading to feed. Which by the time I start hunting is largely mast. There is always good amounts of mast here, but a bumper crop is welcomed. I like acorn fattened deer meat!
I agree, good eating. And good to hear from you, Jase!
Aim small, miss small!

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#5 Post by Carpdaddy »

I have had good success in the past from locating falling acorns with plenty of tracks around and climbing there. Deer are usually not far away, especially if there are not many trees producing at that time.

joe harrod1945

#6 Post by joe harrod1945 »

their is white oak mass in kentucky this year.good sign for early bow season.there will have hot days ahead.hunt early morning might be good.we had a lot of rain this year.i love watching deer eating acorns it is not all about killing but enjoying the wildlife around you.the sound of acorns falling around you is precious.the smell of mass acorns.it is the season for harvest.

Graps

#7 Post by Graps »

That's why I don't see many deer for the first three weeks of October .
We have only one medium sized White oak that produces acorns. :|
They come back around Halloween.
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Shadowhntr

#8 Post by Shadowhntr »

I like hearing mast hit the ground....but I get a bigger kick out of hearing the deer up close crunching esp oak mast. It sounds like a bunch of hogs on ears of hard corn. Pop crunch pop POP chomp chomp chomp...lol.
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#9 Post by Captainkirk »

Shadowhntr wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:38 am I like hearing mast hit the ground....but I get a bigger kick out of hearing the deer up close crunching esp oak mast. It sounds like a bunch of hogs on ears of hard corn. Pop crunch pop POP chomp chomp chomp...lol.
I know, right? :D
Aim small, miss small!

White Falcon

#10 Post by White Falcon »

The place to hunt in early season.

Return to “Deer hunting tips and tactics”