Whitetail tactics #2

Share your deer hunting knowledge, give tips on how to hunt deer. Ask any questions you may have about deer hunting.
Forum rules
Please stick to deer hunting tips and tactics in this forum.
Shadowhntr

Whitetail tactics #2

#1 Post by Shadowhntr »

Since its so important for successful Whitetail hunting, Id like to talk about wind current, what effects it, and so on. So often, the only reason we dont score when all else is right, is this one factor. First let me say, I learned a long time ago, just because you dont hear deer snorting and bellering, doesn't mean you haven't been comprimised. Many deer, especially at a bit of a distance, simply turn away and run, or even quietly sneak off. Older deer, especially bucks, tend to be sneakers. So getting a grip on wind current is imparitive.
To help understand wind current, lets compare it to being much like flowing water. It has alot of similarities, but of course not totally. What happens to flowing water, when there are lots of obstructions in its way at a certain local? It strikes each object, deals with the resistance by sliding out to the side, then continues on until it hits another restrictive object. But Think about all the little changes in water direction, swirling, turbulance, eddys, and slack water that takes place during this. That is a description for one restrictive object, now imagine having hundreds of restrictions across the whole path of the waters travel.. going to be mayhem there isnt it? Water going in all directions, churning, swirling, creating a huge disturbance of chaos. The general direction of the flow, still continues down stream the whole time, but within the restrictive zone, total chaos happens none the less. Once water is free of those objects, it returns back to steady flow.

Now, with wind, its much the same. Anything restrictive causes turbulance and unsteady winds around the restrictive area. The more the restrictions are congested, the more chaos and swirling happens, dragging our scent along with it. Trees, changes in topography, wind speed, and daily thermal activities all become an issue.(not to mention naturally unsteady currents known as variable winds, which we are not referring to here) Paying attention to detail, becomes critical.

Trees- The seasonal condition of trees is a big influence, and one easily missed. Like what we learned above, A few trees scattered about, not gonna have a huge influence. Lots of trees does in fact have an influence. That becomes a problem for whitetail hunters. There is nothing we can do really to change that, as the cover is why the deer are there, and they use that unstable wind to their advantage. However we can adjust and cope with it.

One thing we can do, is hunt were trees have less impact. Travel routes along edges of timber, anywhere deer travel in a narrow band of trees, anywhere you can get that deer move and the trees are fewer will keep more stable winds around your stand site. Its a fine line though and moving to far from cover means a big zero.

Another thing about trees, is they are WAY more restrictive when heavy green foliage is on. Remember, the more the restriction, the more chaos and swirling happens. A spot you found in December that had nice steady winds from a certain direction, can be altered greatly when you are there in Early October. And the promising spot you found in September that you would hunt if it weren't for those dang unsteady wind conditions every time you hunt there (while foilage is on), could be a great spot with steady winds in November when those restrictive leaves are gone.

Always know ahead of time, what your preferred wind direction and condition will do at your stand site. You think you need a NE wind to hunt stand A, and the wind is NE today. When you arrive at the stand, you feel the wind is now coming East. Discusted, you turn and go back to the truck and on your way, you notice the wind is NE. What the heck man? Restrictive elemments are at play here. Know what the direction the wind is coming from will actually do AT THE STAND SITE, for any particular instance. In the above example, it may be a straight N wind will produce the NE wind you need at the stand site. Trees and leaves can play a huge part in this. Of course topography and other influences can too, but here we are looking at trees and their affecting your hunt.
Enough for now.
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

Re: Whitetail tactics #2

#2 Post by Captainkirk »

Very good points, Jase.
Most hunters know that winds behave as such, but not WHY.
Aim small, miss small!

Shadowhntr

#3 Post by Shadowhntr »

Yes, and knowing why, is the beginning of being able to read the situation ahead of time, which leads to more success.

Jamesh76

#4 Post by Jamesh76 »

Good Point.

Also, take the above into consideration if you use scents near your stand. Positioning can vary due to wind.

Mitch Edwards

#5 Post by Mitch Edwards »

I deal with swirling winds every time I hunt. I hunt a farm down on a winding river. Down on the river in the timer the wind seems to come from everywhere sometimes all at once. Across the field to the north is a very long hillside. I think the combination of those things causes it. Needless to say my success rate there is very low

Shadowhntr

#6 Post by Shadowhntr »

I know what you mean Mitch. Over the years, Ive learned to try to overcome it by hunting the surrounding area instead of right in the bottoms. Things like hunting the top of a ridge instead of the bottom where winds are steady, or choosing a wind that shears at an angle into the ridge and bottom causing my scent to flow along the face of the ridge and out, vs wind coming straight in towards the ridge, which causes a barrel rolling effect and unsteady directions spreading scent everywhere. I also at times try to follow the movement of deer while scouting, tracing it backwards or forwards, in hopes of finding a spot where the winds can be more predictable and steady. Staying and hunting in an area where wind boils all around, will never produce anymore then it ever has been. Deer come from somewhere, and they go elsewhere. ....im certain they dont just hole up in that one location where you are hunting. Find the few spots they travel, that has less resistance to wind providing stable winds, and it will change your percentages on that ground. Read the wind as if its water...look for keys and clues in the topography, that will cause a favorable direction and condition instead of chaos winds. Channeling currents along those edges of that big hill may be a possibility. Its hard for me to say without being there. The whole key, is to look for that spot where steady winds are Channeling.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#7 Post by Captainkirk »

Let's not forget, though; if the winds are shifting and changing due to leaves and other circumstances, an approaching deer may get a sniff of you, but not be able to nail down where you are. This can work to your advantage. Deer detect and avoid; they don't crawl into a cave and hunker down. If they're not sure where you are they will be alert and cautious, but just might walk right into a trap.
Aim small, miss small!

Return to “Deer hunting tips and tactics”