Feeling safe from above

Share your deer hunting knowledge, give tips on how to hunt deer. Ask any questions you may have about deer hunting.
Forum rules
Please stick to deer hunting tips and tactics in this forum.
Carpdaddy
Site Admin

Re: Feeling safe from above

#16 Post by Carpdaddy »

I test drove the Lone Wolf a friend had with the hand climber. Gripped good, climbed good, and felt stable, I wasn't as thrilled with the comfort once there. I'm sure the sit and climb is probably more comfortable and many are totally satisfied with them. A part of feeling comfortable is feeling secure, although I'm sure it's plenty strong enough I just couldn't mentally feel safe with a belt instead of a cable or chain. Again this is just in my mind and I don't want to take anything away from one of the most popular stands out there.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#17 Post by Captainkirk »

Pretty much one of my bugaboos. I've hunted many years in trees, just never felt comfortable. Restrained, slow, cautious movements; just not where I want to be when pulling a bow. Done it, but don't like it.
Aim small, miss small!

Shadowhntr

#18 Post by Shadowhntr »

CD, is there anything about the lone wolf, that makes you feel its worth the extra money over a similar Summit? I know they pack much better in a flat formation. Anything else strike you?
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#19 Post by Carpdaddy »

They sure have a strong following, many consider them to be the top of the line. I have only tried one a few times and that was several years ago so I would not be qualified to say. I think if I had one of the Summit Viper SD Elite it would be challenging to go up from there. Just my opinion.

Gamestalker

#20 Post by Gamestalker »

I've got a Lone Wolf hand climber & love it. It's light weight for packing in & out. It doesn't make hardly any noise when going up or down & is very stable while in it. I can also make adjustments of the belt for the diameter of the tree if it's getting too skinny as I go up. I've never owned any other climber, but have seen & checked out others. A buddy of mine let me borrow his once & it was so heavy that I didn't even want to carry it into the woods. Anyway, I thought about getting the sit & climb Lone Wolf, but didn't want to spend the extra hundred bucks. Later, I had other people that had experience with them tell me that I was better off with the hand climber. That made me glad I didn't spend the extra money.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#21 Post by Carpdaddy »

That's something I had forgotten about the lone wolf versus the steel cable models, how much quieter it was going up & down. Thanks Gamestalker.

Shadowhntr

#22 Post by Shadowhntr »

Al, did they say why the LW sit n climb was inferior?

Gamestalker

#23 Post by Gamestalker »

I was trying to remember what the reason was, but can't seem to pull it out. It seems like it was something about the cost & not really being any easier to climb with. I'm not sure though.

Kbetts

#24 Post by Kbetts »

Sit n climb seat is a PIA.
My range finder, release, and sights are the ones God gave me.

Shadowhntr

#25 Post by Shadowhntr »

Hmmm. Someones gonna have to explain PIA to me.

Return to “Deer hunting tips and tactics”