Thoughts on frontal shots

Share your deer hunting knowledge, give tips on how to hunt deer. Ask any questions you may have about deer hunting.
Forum rules
Please stick to deer hunting tips and tactics in this forum.
Shadowhntr

Thoughts on frontal shots

#1 Post by Shadowhntr »

I was reading were a fella took a deer facing him while on the ground at 8 yards. Would you guys take a frontal shot under similar conditions?
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Ole Dave

Re: Thoughts on frontal shots

#2 Post by Ole Dave »

Personally, no way...took one with a .50 Cal flintlock and round ball once...she had lung pulverized, one front shoulder pulverized and it ricocheted back in, ended up in the hip... she still ran 125-130 yards... and that was with a BP gun...

Rifle, large caliber handgun, yea, but it's a small target..

Bow, nah... not worth trying to track.

Saw video of a beautiful buck shot that way on film...guy "excused" himself saying it was "too good a buck to not try the shot"...

:(

That is exactly why I'd say it's too good a buck (or any living animal) to chance it...but Greed goeth before the fall...

or as one proff of mine like to say, "Decide in haste, repent at your leisure!"
All we have and call our own, once belonged to someone else, and will again. Our purpose here is not to serve ourselves.

Bigfoot SAS LB (47# LB limbs 38# Semi Static RC limbs)

Couple of old Bear bows

Longtrad

#3 Post by Longtrad »

im not sure, i think about that too. if you could sneak an arrow in the neck and miss all the bones that would seem to be a very lethal shot. key word in that last sentence is "if"

similar story but opposite side of the body

My buddy that lives in OK shot a small buck with a 70# wheelbow extremely hard quartering away shot, pretty damn long shot too, I think he claimed 70ish yards. Naturally the 70 yard shot didnt quite go as he had hoped. The arrow entered the deer through his testicle and travel up through the body, he said the arrow penetrated up to the fletch (idk if it ran out of steam in the soft tissue or was stopped by the ribs/shoulder bones he said he didnt look...drats) He said the deer took of like a bat out of hell but didnt make more than 30 yards before he fell over and and was done.

Longtrad

#4 Post by Longtrad »

what are your thoughts Jason?

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#5 Post by Carpdaddy »

I took that shot once when I was much younger and full of it, seated on a stool and the Doe was staring me down at about 12 yards. That Deer didn't go over 20 yards before dropping. Since that time I have heard much negative input on it and have not taken it since. The main reason would be that I now hunt from an elevated stand most of the time. When I hear this subject I well remember the time a hugh Buck kept walking directly toward my stand and would not turn to either side, finally he stops at five yards or less from my tree and looked straight up at me. He then turned inside out or something like that, anyhow he was gone never offering me anything but a straight on shot from a tree! I reckon not shooting was the right thing to do but I can't help but wonder. I don't know much but my only experience from the ground was positive.

Longtrad

#6 Post by Longtrad »

The shot my buddy took is also different from the guy in that, he knew it was a bad shot, he knew it was unethical, he did it anyway and luckily for him, he got a hail marry.

The guy that has been taking chest shots said distance was a big factor in deciding to take that shot or not. I guess that means he felt confident in his shooting skill from that distance and would not miss? Many people tell me judos are not ethical to hunt rabbits with and depending on the situation I agree, but certain angles, certain distances I think judos are fine for bunnies.

What about the whole Efoc thing and a 650 grain arrow? Can that arrow break through the chest longways? IDK, maybe i'm getting something wrong but the conclusion I draw from all the research makes me think it may.

Personally I don't think I would take that shot, I also have never been in that situation though.

Shadowhntr

#7 Post by Shadowhntr »

I dont know what to think, it can get touchy. I dont believe it to be a good shot from a tree at all, but from the ground, ,,,maybe if everything is just right. My biggest issue, is it would have to be a very close shot, like 10 yards or under. Now, bearing that in mind, its not very often, that a deer ends up that close to you facing right at you on ground level, without noticing you outright or upon draw. Once it notices you, even at 10 yards the deer is too likely to move before our arrow strikes, and bad things can easily happen. If the deer literally had no idea you existed, and was offering itself in a manner lending to favorable chances, then I could see a seasoned bowman taking the shot. But I can tell you, the problem is going to be the deer noticing you especially drawing. Once that happens, it should be a no shot situation. The problem too often, is the bowmen is likely to have committed in their mind to shoot, and not 1 in 100 will have the presence of mind to back out, instead of "trying" it. That is a game of high risk imo. So, id say ok, only in the very rare occasion you get drawn that close and can shoot the frontal shot without the deer knowing you exist.
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Longtrad

#8 Post by Longtrad »

I just read all the responses on the other thread, and I think that is a good point Jason. Maybe not really much to worry about because like you said, how many people get deer walking right at them without being spotted.

Another very interesting comment was this

"It can't be done because we are governed by a loosely bound set of 'rules' that cannot be challenged, even if no convincing objective evidence is available. "

very well articulated point there about a lot of hunting stuff in general.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#9 Post by Captainkirk »

I don't think I would be inclined to take a frontal shot, even from the ground. For one, the deer would be staring right at you in a ground blind. Drawing and having him or her not see you would be akin to black magic. (I tried this last year on a 4 pointer...remember how that worked out?)
Second, if the deer is that close, it's either gonna step on you or turn before it gets to your tree or blind. Wait until it turns.
Third, even with a heavy FOC/EFOC arrow you are looking at getting through the rib cage. Almost a guaranteed bone-cutter. No, I'll wait for a broadside shot, I reckon.
Aim small, miss small!

Longtrad

#10 Post by Longtrad »

hmm here is another idea, deer have eyes on the sides of their head, is being in front of them really that much different that being along side them?

Return to “Deer hunting tips and tactics”