Max effective range.

Share your deer hunting knowledge, give tips on how to hunt deer. Ask any questions you may have about deer hunting.
Forum rules
Please stick to deer hunting tips and tactics in this forum.
Shadowhntr

Max effective range.

#1 Post by Shadowhntr »

I borrowed this from another site.

The post is basically about how to go about determining your max effective range and what the reader deems as good enough to call it effective concerning deer hunting. It also has tinges of over estimation of that effective range being very possible for many archers if not exaggerated badly.

I personally have to make a very distinct and marked difference between hunting whitetail in cover as opposed to grasslands, and those 2 things as opposed to target or 3D shooting.

I always try to expand my shooting distance. However that is based exclusively on solitary (shooting by myself) target and 3D shooting.

In hunting deer in a cover situation, I've never been interested in very extended range. My farthest deer ever traditionally was just under 17 yards, and it looked like 25 yards in the timber to me. I've pretty consistently held a 12 yard average distance in harvesting deer across the board. My closest tree shot from a low 10' stand was 5 yards, and my closest ground shot was not quite 3 yards. Over the years, I've adopted a method where instead of concentration on being able to shoot farther, I instead learned how to get closer to the deer on a more consistent basis. In my brain, I see a 20 yard shot as being much more risky then a 12 yard shot. I often wonder why I personally waste my time trying to expand my range to 25 yards, when I know I'll never shoot that far in a million years. I know Tony and some others on here are pretty comfortable with 20 yards hunting...and I've always figured that my max if I had to pick a max range. But, I'm thinking considering hunting shots and practicing that distance in reality, as far as where I hunt, as waste of time for the most part. I say most part because I believe if I want to shoot lights out at 15, practice at 20 is very helpful.
I'm not a range guy. I enjoy target the very most by myself. I'll never be a 3D shooter or Range shooter because I like shooting in solitude. I've heard the pressure and distraction of others around you makes you more in control and a better shot on deer. I know this to be subjective though because its not true in my case. Shooting around people has no bearing on me in the deer woods, because the pressures felt are starkly different and must be mastered in the moment. I love a fire ring at dark and stories flying with other folks but I'm a loner for the most part with target shooting. Oft times of serious personal practice, I don't even want my boys around.
Anyway...there are obviously 2 approaches to this. Longer distance shots, or patience/closing up the distance between you and animal. Both take training and practice, but I feel the later to be less risky.

I personally feel that extended range desire in hunting deer, stems from the compound world being carried over with the influx of converted bowmen. Another possibility could be the range shooters mentality bleeding over to the hunters world. I understand bigger game means longer range possibilities, but this is referencing the approach to deer. We all want to be Mr Bear or Mr Hill but chances of any of us reaching that height is like getting a lightning strike.

How do you all deal with this question of how far to shoot or is it even a thought? Why do you feel its so important to modern trad hunters today, when archers of old sought to get closer to game?
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

Re: Max effective range.

#2 Post by Carpdaddy »

First and foremost I think the individual has to make that decision based upon the situation and his own comfort level at the time. I have had alert deer at 15 that I was not comfortable shooting at, and I have taken Deer up to 35 yards, a no-no in many people's thinking. I practice more at 25 than I do at 15, but I must confess ignorance on that one! Most of my deer were taken at 10-15 yards, so it doesn't make a lot of sense for me to spend so much time at 25-30. My only excuse is that it makes me concentrate more. On the 3D course the long shots is where I tend to do fairly well. BTW; you are missing the fun Jason by not doing 3D, nothing like having someone like me whispering "don't worry about that limb" or something like that as you try to concentrate! :lol: :oops: As season approaches though I am moving up more and concentrating on those more realistic hunting distances, yesterday I practiced at 12.
One more strange thing from a strange feller. I often participate in a first shot challenge on another site, yesterday it was one arrow at 15, one at 20, and one at 25. My 15 was far left, 20 was just to the right & high, 25 was dead on! Here it was..
Attachments
IMG_4324.jpg
IMG_4324.jpg (153.94 KiB) Viewed 2391 times

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#3 Post by Carpdaddy »

I just know there are many opinions floating around in some heads out there in this subject. Don't worry about disagreeing with me or Shadowhntr for that matter, share your opinions. We don't all think alike and I won't get offended if you think I'm crazy! Most know I am! I don't think Jason is that touchy either. What's your max distance if you have one?

Shadowhntr

#4 Post by Shadowhntr »

CD is absolutely correct. We each have our own situations and thought process about it all. We are never going to be exactly like one another because we are each unique individuals.

This is just good conversation and a chance to give others a view inside your brain. Please...post away!

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#5 Post by Captainkirk »

I would like to think my max effective range is 20 yards...that's what I would say in an intelligent conversation...but truth is, I haven't completely mastered that control yet as evidenced by my shot at the doe two seasons ago as the light was fading. On pacing off the distance after the near-miss I found it to be in actuality closer to 35 yard, a shot I would never have chanced normally. I guess my brain convinced me it was within range.
Aim small, miss small!

Crazynate

#6 Post by Crazynate »

I like shots to be under 20 yards if possible for deer anyway. For other critters I'd shoot a lot further if the conditions were right. I would rather shoot 20 yards at an undisturbed deer than 10 yards at one that's real nervous. When their nervous it makes me nervous and I rush the shot lol. The ideal shot for me is 15 yards broadside but that never seems to happen.
Goodnight Chesty Wherever You Are.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#7 Post by Carpdaddy »

My challenge is those I could spit on from my treestand! Give me 25 over 5 any day, on a relaxed deer that is.

Jose

#8 Post by Jose »

Man that is a tough question. For me it depends on the day and situation. Some days it feels right and other days it don't. The furthest shot I've taken on a deer was about 25 yards. About 95% of my shots are less than 18 yards. I have really concentrated more on stand placement to give me the closer shots. Definitely like the 15 or less yards... :P

stumper

#9 Post by stumper »

Even if I could. I don't think I would attempt a deer outside 20 yards. I don't want to chance a wounding shot. I know they happen in trad archery, but I would like to keep the possibility to a minimum. I won't judge others for taking longer shots, but for me and my bow 20 is the limit. I don't do trad archery to push the boundaries of the sport. I do it for the limitations. After all one of my favorite quotes " if you consider an unsuccessful Hunt a waste of time than the true meaning of the Chase Elludes you altogether". I would rather go home empty-handed and watch a beautiful deer from a distance beyond my range then chance wounding it and still coming home empty-handed. Just my two cents.
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Shadowhntr

#10 Post by Shadowhntr »

A well thought out post and approach Dave.

I enjoy reading everyone's approach and thoughts on this, thanks for the great post everyone!

Return to “Deer hunting tips and tactics”