Western pack in hunt-Advice needed

Share your deer hunting knowledge, give tips on how to hunt deer. Ask any questions you may have about deer hunting.
Forum rules
Please stick to deer hunting tips and tactics in this forum.
Longbowfanatic

Western pack in hunt-Advice needed

#1 Post by Longbowfanatic »

Hi everyone,

I am looking into hunting mule deer out west. I have hunted out west several times, but I have never done a pack in, tent camp hunt. I have identified a state where I can draw a deer tag annually. As a bonus, these tags are either-sex tags. I have also identified an area where there is a large section of WIA adjoining BLM land. So here is my idea. I am considering backpacking into the BLM, where camping is legal. I would then set up camp a few miles in and use that as a base for hunting deeper into the public hunting lands for mule deer. Since this would be a pack in hunt, I would be limited to freeze dried foods and I guess my biggest concern would be finding water. I have a Steripen UV water purifier and backup tabs, so if I can find water I think I will be good to go.

I guess my questions are these:

-Have any of you ever done a pack in hunt? If so, what advice can you give me from the lessons you leaned?

-Have any of you gone into an are like this cold and searched water sources, camp location etc.?

-Can any of you recommend a good, compact two or three man tent and any other light weight necessities you would recommend for a hunt like this?

FYI- This is a DIY and I would expect to hunt for maybe 4-7 days on a trip like this.

Thanks guys!

Dennis

Graps

Re: Western pack in hunt-Advice needed

#2 Post by Graps »

I would definitely be looking at Google Map satellite image , that can help a lot .
Could find water that way as well as look for funnels and such .
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Longbowfanatic

#3 Post by Longbowfanatic »

graps wrote:I would definitely be looking at Google Map satellite image , that can help a lot .
Could find water that way as well as look for funnels and such .
Great idea, Dale. I have done that. Great minds think alike. My first thought when I found water was, was it a wet year when this pic was taken or is this normal for the area? LOL! Thanks for your input, sir!

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#4 Post by Carpdaddy »

Wow Dennis; I'm both jealous and impressed. I have never done a pack in hunt, and unfortunately I am past that age or ability due to health. I once spent two weeks in the Rocky Mountains but that was camping with my truck. I was able to carry all I would need that way. Hopefully someone will jump in that knows how to pack light enough and yet have what you need. Start a list early to make sure you have the necessities. A friend was showing me his tent and sleeping pack a while back and I was impressed at how small today's stuff can be compacted. Sorry I can't help but I certainly wish you the best in your adventures.

Jamesh76

#5 Post by Jamesh76 »

What time of year, and what state makes a huge difference as far as gear, water availability etc.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#6 Post by Captainkirk »

Never done a pack-in, but I sorta wish I had when I was younger. Good luck in your endeavor. Might not hurt to find out if any of our members here live anywhere near where you plan to hunt and can offer any local advice?
Aim small, miss small!

Longbowfanatic

#7 Post by Longbowfanatic »

Carpdaddy wrote:Wow Dennis; I'm both jealous and impressed. I have never done a pack in hunt, and unfortunately I am past that age or ability due to health. I once spent two weeks in the Rocky Mountains but that was camping with my truck. I was able to carry all I would need that way. Hopefully someone will jump in that knows how to pack light enough and yet have what you need. Start a list early to make sure you have the necessities. A friend was showing me his tent and sleeping pack a while back and I was impressed at how small today's stuff can be compacted. Sorry I can't help but I certainly wish you the best in your adventures.
Thanks, Tony. I have been doing DIY hunts in WY the past three years, but I'm ready for a new adventure. Sometimes, I think I get more enjoyment going in cold and making a new adventure.

Longbowfanatic

#8 Post by Longbowfanatic »

Jamesh76 wrote:What time of year, and what state makes a huge difference as far as gear, water availability etc.
That's a great point.

Longbowfanatic

#9 Post by Longbowfanatic »

Captainkirk wrote:Never done a pack-in, but I sorta wish I had when I was younger. Good luck in your endeavor. Might not hurt to find out if any of our members here live anywhere near where you plan to hunt and can offer any local advice?
Good idea. I have hunted this general area once before, but not specifically the areas I'm targeting on this hunt.

J. Holden

#10 Post by J. Holden »

I think it's best to have a buddy. You can share the load. One guy carries the tent, the other guy carries the food and cook stove. Of course the other buddy needs to available. That always helps!

Seriously though, I don't think going in cold to an area will be an issue for you. I think based on what I've seen and talked with you about you'll be able to come up with a plan pretty quick. I once heard a podcast with Randy Newberg about his shows that he tapes. He goes in cold as well. He talks about a day or two scouting/planning and then the rest of the time hunting. I think if you're able to spend the time hiking around or glassing from different vantage points that may be the best way to go about it.

I just talked with my chiropractor today about his latest trip he took to Yellowstone backpacking. He mentioned a company that makes a sleeping "quilt". I believe he said the company was "enlightened equipment" and he'd buy the "950" nest time? I also just happened to see an Instagram post from Steven Rinella or Meateater regarding a tent and sleeping bag company. Looked pricey but I think those are two thing's I would not skimp on.

He also ate the mountain house food. He did mention he'd prefer to cut weight next time though. His pack was 50+ lbs. and ideally he said 40+/- would be better. His tent was a three season tent from REI that he also wishes it had been a 4 season because it started snowing and that started to dictate which route they took. One last thing he mentioned was less pants and shirts and more underwear and socks.

Hope you figure it all out before I can come with you!

-Jeremy

Return to “Deer hunting tips and tactics”