Hunting deer out of a tree saddle

Share your deer hunting knowledge, give tips on how to hunt deer. Ask any questions you may have about deer hunting.
Forum rules
Please stick to deer hunting tips and tactics in this forum.
Longbowfanatic

Hunting deer out of a tree saddle

#1 Post by Longbowfanatic »

I am considering the purchase of a tree saddle for hunting on public land. A buddy of mine purchased one and really likes the mobility, ease of use and reduced weight when hiking to remote locations (compared to lugging a tree stand). Have any of you used a saddle? If so, what brand do you like and what advantages/disadvantages do you see with them?

Graps

Re: Hunting deer out of a tree saddle

#2 Post by Graps »

I stay on the ground but I have heard good things about them.
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Grizzly

#3 Post by Grizzly »

I haven't seen one, except in old adds and never used one. You still have to get up the tree. What will you use; tree spikes? I think some public land outlaws them. Places that plan to harvest the wood aren't fond of them either - messes up the veneer. That's probably another reason I always used ladder stands on the farm + I'm oh so comfortable in my better ones.

You've got me curious about the tree saddle. They don't swing back and forth do they? They'd have to be stable to make a good shot I would think. Sorry, obviously I've been no help at all here. I wish I was still young enough to make like a monkey and use one. Good Luck with your project.
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

Longbowfanatic

#4 Post by Longbowfanatic »

Grizzly wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:12 pm I haven't seen one, except in old adds and never used one. You still have to get up the tree. What will you use; tree spikes? I think some public land outlaws them. Places that plan to harvest the wood aren't fond of them either - messes up the veneer. That's probably another reason I always used ladder stands on the farm + I'm oh so comfortable in my better ones.

You've got me curious about the tree saddle. They don't swing back and forth do they? They'd have to be stable to make a good shot I would think. Sorry, obviously I've been no help at all here. I wish I was still young enough to make like a monkey and use one. Good Luck with your project.
You use strap-on climbing sticks to ascend and descend. Here is a video that may help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uCo8GxzyOg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lU9qxADhOY

Grizzly

#5 Post by Grizzly »

Now that was pretty interesting. I'm sure if anyone has ever worked as a lineman, this would all be second nature to them. The, "you can never fall out of the tree" is probably the biggest feature. If anyone ever bought supplies from Lone Wolf Archery, Joe and Becky, I remember when he fell out of his stand and broke his back. I don't think his archery, business or hunting was ever the same again.

My knee cap and some muscle and tendons were broken and torn in a car wreck 3 months after coming back from Viet Nam. I don't think I'd have the strength in that left leg to work the climbing apparatus or even a climbing stand. That's probably why a wound up using ladder stands and just hauling them around. The Saddle system looks interesting for someone young and fit. I think I got spoiled though. I loved to pick out a tree with two or three trunks and lay my stand onto one of the branches. I always hooked up, but also was pretty free to move around, put my foot out on a limb, maybe lean against another limb, and hang my gear from a hook or two. I loved the comfort and on some of my cheaper stands, I always brought a clamp on seat. Nothing like a good nap, out in the cool air with no phones and nothing to do.

But again, sorry I can't help you, but thanks for the education. Have you tried this system yet?
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

Longbowfanatic

#6 Post by Longbowfanatic »

Good stuff, Griz. Yea, platform and ladder stands have their creature comforts for sure. I have not tried this yet. My buddy said before I buy one, we should get together to try his. He likes his saddle system and even shot a deer this fall out of it. The deer wasn't recovered, but that's another story.

Jose

#7 Post by Jose »

Know a guy in Tennessee who uses one, he loves it. He has shotany deer with it. He let me try it, not high, it would take some getting used to but I think it would work nicely.

Longbowfanatic

#8 Post by Longbowfanatic »

Thanks, Jose.
Last edited by White Falcon on Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: spelling

VTBow

#9 Post by VTBow »

I do and absolutely love it. I sold all my stands but an old loc-on windwalker. On private property my setup including climbing method can be under 6lbs. Comfy, quiet, versatile, compact, and a lot less limited shot angle. Not to mention in my opinion safer than a treestand.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#10 Post by Captainkirk »

Looks way too complicated for me compared to sitting on a stool in a ground blind.
Aim small, miss small!

Return to “Deer hunting tips and tactics”