the willingness to move your stand

Share your deer hunting knowledge, give tips on how to hunt deer. Ask any questions you may have about deer hunting.
Forum rules
Please stick to deer hunting tips and tactics in this forum.
jaydee2trad

the willingness to move your stand

#1 Post by jaydee2trad »

Several times while hunting, it quickly became apparent that my stand was not quite in the right spot. one year I refused to change anything in spite of what I was seeing. wasted some time in the stand that year. So the next year, I was a little quicker at changing trees etc but then when using my climber, I began quickly adjusting my stand from one side or height to another to get ready for the next opportunity. I learned how to make my climber work better for me in micro adjustments to get a better shot angle. I also became pretty quick back then for repositioning or moving a ladder stand even in the dark. I used a lot of hang on stands for years, I got very good at hiding them from people as well as the single pole ladders that I made to use. I always tried to use trees that offered limbs to use for cover for both my stand and for me. Cedar limbs became a mainstay for me to use to hide my movements as well as the stand itself. Had a lot of hunters walk all around me and never know that I was there. But it was during the rut that I learned more about bucks often approaching from a different path or trail from what the does were using. This often required moving my stand to some degree to capitalize on it. Yeah, got busted a time or two but I wasn't getting a shot otherwise. to us that bow hunt, especially trad bow hunt, stand placement is everything. I found that I could not walk thru the woods without checking for deer sign as well as the perfect tree spot for a stand. I also made sure that I had several stand sites for an area to be able to hunt regardless of the wind. This ability changes how you can hunt a spot because you are not limited to a certain wind. We all find the perfect funnel or food source but we don't always give ourselves enough options at them.

Hill billy

Re: the willingness to move your stand

#2 Post by Hill billy »

I’m just lazy in my older age! Sometimes I just want to hunt!

Return to “Deer hunting tips and tactics”