DEAD RINGER® HAMMOCK SEAT?

Forum rules
Be fair.
Shadowhntr

Re: DEAD RINGER® HAMMOCK SEAT?

#16 Post by Shadowhntr »

Gamestalker wrote:
CARiD wrote:Looks very convenient but I don't think it's handy to shoot from the bow in a "sit down", I think a shooter would automatically stand up before making a shot.
I kinda agree with you, but it goes back to how you practice. I used to practice shooting down & have actually killed deer with a bow & arrow from the sitting position. I'm not saying that I prefer that position to shoot though.... just that it can be done with practice.

Before I started using a climber so much on public ground, I use to use my homemade hang ons exclusively. My climber forces me to stand, but with my hang ons I cant remember but one time, that I ever stood to shoot. Of course, this is from a tree stand, but I can say the same ground hunting. I've killed quite a good amount of deer sitting, but as Al pointed out, I practiced it a lot. But from all that practice, I've learned that as long as you hold the upper body form, really there should be no difference in shooting seated or standing if executed properly. If a particular seat allows for the back and shoulders to come in line it will work fine. In the same way, many guys practice hours on end from an elevated stand, and I use to as well. Over the years though, I realized with it too, its all the same and no shooting adjustment is needed IF form is adhered too. If you always keep everything in line on the upper body, you can bend at the waist, either in a tree stand or sitting position, and expect excellent results. However I do NOT say that practicing from those positions isnt needed, because there are a couple factors that play into it. First, its a mental thing. If you aren't fully confident you can get it done from said position, I could almost guarantee a miss. Only practice brings you to realize, that if form is held, there really is no difference, and then confidence soars. Second, we must practice from said positions in order to be able to hold up our form, and exactly what it feels like. Once you do "got it", it is no more difficult to hold form then what standing and shooting from ground level is. Once again, it all goes back to having developed repeatable form, and putting it into practice, no matter our position.

Some would have me hung for saying so. I take my share of deer from tree stands. I have not practiced a single arrow from a tree stand in pushing 20 years, but spend hours and hours in practicing form standing on level ground. Form is everything.
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Gamestalker

#17 Post by Gamestalker »

Ok, I finally got around to trying out the hammock seat. I spent the entire bow season hutning from tree stands. :roll:

These hammock seats are great! They come with a small carabiner on the storage bag so that you can clip it to a belt to carry. They are so light that you can forget that it's even hanging on your belt until it swings & bumps your leg or you brush it up against something. It's very easy to set up & can be adjusted up & down on the tree until you have it at the height that suits you best. I have spent several hours sitting in it & it's very comfortable as long as you get it adjusted correctly. (very small learning curve) I like to have it at a height that will allow me to stand up easily & without having to use your hands. I can stand up without making any noticeable noise. The single point of ground contact allows you to move back & forth to look around. You can swing to the left (if you're right handed) far enough (150-160 degrees) to get a shot almost behind you without standing up. You can't get quite as far to the opposite side.

I do have one small complaint though & I'm going to contact the manufacturer to give them some feedback about it. The strap that attaches the hammock to the post, in my opinion, is a little too long. I'd like to see it shortened up by at least two inches. At it's current length, the post can tend to protrude up between your legs a little more than I like if I don't get the height adjustment quite right. This is really a very minor complaint though & I might try to shorten the strap myself, but I'm going to contact the manufacturer first.

So.... these seats are light weight, easy to set up, comfortable & quiet with a lot of flexibility for shooting. Over the years, I have tried quite a few different seats & things for sitting in the woods & this is by far the best that I've ever found. My son & I were talking about them tonight after we were done hunting & he made the statement, "These hammock seats are definitely worth every penny of the cost!" I totally agree with him & I give them two thumbs up! 8-)

Longtrad

#18 Post by Longtrad »

Thanks for the review, I dig the light weight and small pack up, how much of a pain is it to get it to fit back in the sack?

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#19 Post by Captainkirk »

Nice write-up! I will certainly be considering one!
Aim small, miss small!

Gamestalker

#20 Post by Gamestalker »

Longtrad wrote:Thanks for the review, I dig the light weight and small pack up, how much of a pain is it to get it to fit back in the sack?
It's not really a pain at all. After removing it from the tree, you can have it back in the bag & be on your way within about a minute. I just kinda double fold the material & wrap it around the post. Then I wrap the straps around it to hold it small enough to just about fall into the storage bag.

Gamestalker

#21 Post by Gamestalker »

Ok, I need to retract my only complaint about this seat.
I've been using it about every time out since gun season opened. The more that use it (the learning curve) the more I realized that I just hadn't been attaching it high enough on the tree. :oops: I'm 5'10" tall & for me the correct height to strap the seat to the tree seems to be just about chest high, or about 6" below shoulder height. Since I learned that, the seat works better than I thought it did. :roll:

I'm glad I haven't contacted the company yet to give them my feedback. I still plan to do so, but it'll be more on the positive note.
I had mentioned a small carabiner for hooking it to you for carrying. I do want to suggest to them that they add a second carabiner loop to the bottom of the bag so that you could have it hang horizontally across your back. This would keep it from swinging while you walk & won't be hitting brush or your leg.

That's it..... I just wish I had found something like this years ago! 8-)

eidsvolling

#22 Post by eidsvolling »

There is NO more comfortable way to sit in deadly stillness for long periods of time than the Hammock Seat. The worst thing about it is that your snoring might startle a P&Y buck or bull as he walks by.

I have sat in this seat for hours at a time on hunts. I have shot hundreds of arrows in practice from this seat. I haven't killed anything yet from it, but that is not the fault of the seat.

As mentioned immediately above, it's important to get the height right during setup. Once you've done it in a variety of situations, it will come more naturally. I take mine along on stumping sessions for that reason.

Shadowhntr

#23 Post by Shadowhntr »

Awesome. Two voices of experience with thumbs up. Sure makes purchasing one a mind ease. Thanks for sharing!
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#24 Post by Captainkirk »

eidsvolling wrote:There is NO more comfortable way to sit in deadly stillness for long periods of time than the Hammock Seat. The worst thing about it is that your snoring might startle a P&Y buck or bull as he walks by.

I have sat in this seat for hours at a time on hunts. I have shot hundreds of arrows in practice from this seat. I haven't killed anything yet from it, but that is not the fault of the seat.

As mentioned immediately above, it's important to get the height right during setup. Once you've done it in a variety of situations, it will come more naturally. I take mine along on stumping sessions for that reason.
eidsvolling...eidsvolling...I know you from somewhere. Help me out.
Aim small, miss small!

eidsvolling

#25 Post by eidsvolling »

Captainkirk wrote:
eidsvolling wrote:There is NO more comfortable way to sit in deadly stillness for long periods of time than the Hammock Seat. The worst thing about it is that your snoring might startle a P&Y buck or bull as he walks by.

eidsvolling...eidsvolling...I know you from somewhere. Help me out.
TG and/or TBM, most likely. (Possibly Marlin Owners, but far less active there.)

Return to “Product Review”