Test driving a short bow

Forum rules
Be fair.
Shadowhntr

Re: Test driving a short bow

#11 Post by Shadowhntr »

Ive shot some very short bows that behaved rather nicely. However day in-day out, Ive learned to appreciate a mid length bow. Short bows are harder to be accurate with for me, because they magnify my release flaws. Its very tough getting a good release with them short buggers, especially with my 28"+ power stroke shooting 3 finger split. Manuverable? yes they are. I tend to stay away from shorties, and compromise by using mid length bows in the 58"- 60" bows. To me, a person tends to lose smoothness of draw with a shorter bow too. Everything has advantages and disadvantages, including various bow lengths. You never gain something without losing something else, no bow has it all in one package. Its a compromise, with what you can stand.. Some fellas dont mind what they lose with a short bow to gain super easy manuver abilities. Me, id rather have a portion of easy manuver ability, as well as a portion of smoothness of draw and shot, with a good portion of decent releases being prominent. For me that means a mid length bow.
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Longtrad

#12 Post by Longtrad »

more draw length more problems :lol: :lol: this bow draws mighty smooth to mid 26 8-) :? :?

I'm going to take it out some more today and test its cast vs my maddog and see if i cant manage to tame this shorty now that I got some arrows worked out.

Shadowhntr

#13 Post by Shadowhntr »

It can be done Clay. My mom's bow, a 52" redwing hunter, 45 @ 28", I can hit pretty decent with. For a short bow its really quite smooth, that is for its length.. I get some finger pinch though, which does affect my release, which in turn affects my consistency. I still enjoy shooting it anyway. :D

Longtrad

#14 Post by Longtrad »

Well I sent the bow on down the road today. I must say It was nice shooting a recurve again, I think I prefer the draw stroke of recurves to longbows. These limbs felt nice and put a good amount of whizz on an arrow for sure.

I thought the bow shot very well, I had no trouble shooting where I wanted but I did notice the shorter limbs made the bow more finicky when trying to adjust right before release, I guess all those little movements get magnified by the short limbs... at least thats the best way I can describe it.

If I were forced to give some criticism I would say the grip and riser were a bit blocky for my tastes, I would ask to get it whittled down if It was my bow, but that is just personal preference.

All in all I give the bow high marks, it was a real pleasure to shoot.

Shadowhntr

#15 Post by Shadowhntr »

Gotta love it when they shoot as good as they look!

Longtrad

#16 Post by Longtrad »

It was sure a fun little bow. It was kind of odd having a bow so short I couldnt rest the bottom tip on my foot or use it to poke branches out of the way and what not. I like the draw of a recurve bow but I like those stiff limb tips on a longbow for pushing through the trees. Maybe next thing on the list will be to try a short longbow, maybe a 54"er or so.

stumper

#17 Post by stumper »

I have a 26 inch draw and i cannot seem to shoot longer bows well I have a 58 recurve and a 56 long bow and love both. One of these days I'll decide which I like better and buy a twin
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Longtrad

#18 Post by Longtrad »

I feel yeah Dahyer, 60" is about as long as I can do before I start banging the limb tips all over.

stumper

#19 Post by stumper »

Exactly my thoughts.
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Return to “Product Review”